Getting online in 2018 - flummoxed.

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
imprezaGC8
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: ImprezaGC8VI

Re: Getting online in 2018 - flummoxed.

Post by imprezaGC8 »

I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but you should definitely try setting an IP address manually in your network configuration utility and then see if you can connect to COD 3. I had to set it manually in order to connect to NFS Underground and Biohazard Outbreak File 1 and File 2.
(gmt-5)

Andes Attack
Level 4: Rumble Group
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by Andes Attack »

imprezaGC8 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:44 am
I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but you should definitely try setting an IP address manually in your network configuration utility and then see if you can connect to COD 3. I had to set it manually in order to connect to NFS Underground and Biohazard Outbreak File 1 and File 2.
I can certainly try it for nothing, cheers. Apologies it's been a while since I've tried to wrap my head into understanding these things (and it's always an effort lol), I can set anything as an IP can I? ie 192.168.1.99? Subnet and gateway just as per my router? Is that right?

imprezaGC8

Post by imprezaGC8 »

Haha no worries, happy to help a fellow PS2 gamer. Yes, as long as the IP address you choose isn't already in use by another device on your network (192.168.1.99 should be good). And that's correct, subnet and gateway just as per your router.
(gmt-5)

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

Okay so no joy with that approach. So I've fiddled further, and d/led the files linked to on The List, ESR-patched and burnt them to disc, and interestingly (but annoyingly) get the same error message every time, which is (-402) 'disc information error'. I presume the DNAS-bypassing system doesn't recognise burnt discs. All of which means I'm restricted to official PAL region discs, and looking at the list that means I'm restricted to BRO & 3. Shame as I've read the US region versions get a lot more traffic than PAL. There is I suppose the option to try figure out USB or Network Sharing the games via OPL (presuming the DNAS-bypassing works with OPL), but that's a daunting prospect, it was fiddling with the HDD-OPL that ultimately and eventually bricked my old phattie. Hmm.

edit : dunno if it's relevant or not, but when I select the MP option on all the burnt discs, I get a red screen before the network-login screen appears. I know the colours are used for debugging purposes, so I'm wondering if the red screen is a sign that there's something not right.

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

One last question - would a coupla of your folks mind briefly detailing how you run your PS2s online? ie do you just play straight from the disc, do you use OPL, and if so which method (HDD, SMB or USB), are you emulating on your PC? Cheers muchly in advance for any info you care to share :)

edit: No-one? Shame, I was keeping my PS2 for the purposes of nostalgic MP, seems there's no need to do so anymore :(

chak88
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!

Post by chak88 »

Andes Attack wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 pm
One last question - would a coupla of your folks mind briefly detailing how you run your PS2s online? ie do you just play straight from the disc, do you use OPL, and if so which method (HDD, SMB or USB), are you emulating on your PC? Cheers muchly in advance for any info you care to share :)

edit: No-one? Shame, I was keeping my PS2 for the purposes of nostalgic MP, seems there's no need to do so anymore :(

I connect using my PS2 Slim console with the original NTSC discs. Also as far as playing the games some have more activity than others. I would join the Discord app (There is a link somewhere on the forum but I can't seem to find it.) There are people actively scheduling games there. Also I would check http://ps2online.tk/ as you have been doing to see active games throughout the day. Also if you have Flatout 2 I would love to play that online again.

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

Cheers Chak, fair enough I'll just wait til I see copies of BRO and CoD 3 in the local CEX, and try find PAL players there. I sometimes host an empty Area 51 lobby for a bit, but I don't have Flatout 2, sorry mate. Cheers for your reply :)

imprezaGC8

Post by imprezaGC8 »

I use a fat PS2 with OPL and an internal hard disk drive. Best way to play in my opinion.
(gmt-5)

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

imprezaGC8 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 am
I use a fat PS2 with OPL and an internal hard disk drive. Best way to play in my opinion.
Yes I'm inclined to agree, when it was running well my old phat / hdd / opl beastie was great, allowing me to play Tribes AA (impossible otherwise in the UK), and well all the joys of quick loading screens etc. It did have a tendency towards instability though, and my attempts at fixing things instead goosed the hard drive and 'I think' goosed the PS2 as well. At the very least I'd need a new HDD and a new SATA adapter. I was toying with buying one of those NetBox's to use with my slim but they disappeared off ebay.

Well, I got Area 51 up and running as I type, and when chance allows I will be picking up CoD 3 (with the correct SLES number). It's a shame the DNAS bypassing systems get tripped up by back-up discs but hey ho, can't complain really, it is 2018 after all.