SOCOM servers to be terminated 8/31/12

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

SOCOM servers to be terminated 8/31/12

Post by Mytho »

Just received word that all SOCOM servers for the PS2 will be terminated on August 31, 2012. Truly the end of an era for not only PS2 online gaming, but for online gaming as a whole.

Link: http://community.us.playstation.com/thr ... 1?tstart=0
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: SOCOM servers to be terminated 8/31/12

Post by lazyhoboguy »

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM Combined Assault
are all going offline on August 31, 2012.

Ive never really played these online much, but they were huge games for ps2 online and still had sizable player counts to this day. Sucks for the people that are really into these games.

Fortunately though most of the socom games can be played online still because they have LAN modes. So you can use a LAN tunneling program like Xlink Kai to play them online once the games' official servers go offline.
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs, and SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals: Combined Assault all have a LAN mode.

Socom 1 doesn't have a LAN mode though, and will be offline for good. This also means that Amplitude and Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain will also be going offline again sadly. Since they were brought back online by Freddy who managed to get them working off Socom 1's server. Personally, I am sadder about the loss of Amplitude online play again than Socom 1. This announcement though is sad news for lots of ps2 online gamers.

FreddY
Level 11: Ratchet & Clank: Stay Out of My Arsenal!
Xlink Kai username: Razxr

Post by FreddY »

Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain will remain online as long as Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal is online.

The discontinuation of online services for the entire SOCOM series and also Amplitude is truly a big loss for the PS2 online gaming community.

Of course the real tragedy here is the loss of My Street online!

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

GUYS

We should packet dump SOCOM 1, after all it doesn't use DNAS, so we MIGHT be able to bring it back up or post the code so some coders can.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

My mistake. Cool Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain is remaining online. Oh and My Street does have LAN though heh. Ive yet to buy that "amazing" game.

weegee22
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: weegee22

Post by weegee22 »

noooooo i love SOCOM i have to play all the games on line NOW
(gmt-4)

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

R.I.P Socom and Amplitude. I never played them much online but they were a blast when i did. Man 2012 has been a horrible year for ps2....
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

jacobgrocks wrote:GUYS

We should packet dump SOCOM 1, after all it doesn't use DNAS, so we MIGHT be able to bring it back up or post the code so some coders can.
I already logged a lot of packets for the SOCOM games, in addition to Amplitude. If anyone wants any of these files, just tell me.

Anyway, I’m sad to hear about these server closures. Of all the games that will be affected, Amplitude’s departure will be the saddest. Unlike My Street and most of the SOCOM games, Amplitude has no LAN mode. Since Harmonix created Amplitude, they have been making other games that are similar to Amplitude, (Rock Band Unplugged, for instance.) However, none of those games include (or will include) online multiplayer. (Most don’t have any multiplayer at all, for that matter.) Therefore, once Amplitude gets shut down, we’ll be losing a truly unique online experience, and its loss will probably be permanent.

On the positive side, I’m glad that Sony decided to notify us of the shutdowns so long in advance. The post was made over three months before the shutdown is scheduled to occur, much better than what they did with the NTSC versions of Everquest: Online Adventures and Killzone, (In the latter case, the online mode was terminated without any prior notice.) The online modes have also been operational for a very long time! On August 31st 2012, SOCOM I will have been playable online for over an entire decade! I’ve actually been surprised by how long these servers have been going on for, (I was starting to get worried as early as Spring of 2011.) By comparison, the support for v.1 Xbox LIVE games was dropped in April of 2010.

I expect to spend a lot of time playing the SOCOM games this summer, in addition to the Syphon Filter and Ratchet games. (I know that the Ratchet servers weren't mentioned in the article, but it's safe to say that they won't make it to 2013.) But I expect to spend the most time playing Amplitude. Let's make 2012 the Summer of Amplitude!
(gmt-4)

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

Masquarr wrote:

I already logged a lot of packets for the SOCOM games, in addition to Amplitude. If anyone wants any of these files, just tell me.
Once it's down, post em. Since Socom 1 doesn't use DNAS, that means it's highly likely someone could code a master server in comparasion to DNAS based titles.

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

jacobgrocks wrote:
Masquarr wrote:

Once it's down, post em. Since Socom 1 doesn't use DNAS, that means it's highly likely someone could code a master server in comparasion to DNAS based titles.
Heck when they are down code a master server. It's a great game and LOTS of people will use the server if word gets out there is one and since there are so many Socom fans. I might even and i'm not really a big fan of third person shooters nowadays (there are exceptions, lots actually:p).
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)