Battlefield 2 Modern Combat - Questions

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
anton2k
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Battlefield 2 Modern Combat - Questions

Post by anton2k »

Hi, first post here. Played bf2mc back in the day (7 years ago.. man i feel old now) and what a game it was back then, way ahead of its time, loved the game engine. Any way I was just wondering if there was a way to host servers in the game as I have noticed multiplay.co.uk offers a service for hosting bf2mc servers. Any leaked builds or official builds I could use to run on a spare computer I have here in my room? Also big thanks to freddy for getting the game spy registration fiasco backup U RULE!!!!

Another Quick question regarding the game, I take it the servers are still online and somewhat populated, does the game support a 16:9 aspect ratio? I would test it but I have to go out and buy a ps2, yea just to play bf2 but I am willing to do this to experience and relive the epic moments in that game, TO THE CHINESE BUILDING WITH THE SNIPERS!!! Bridge Too Far still my fav bf map of all time. Also heard the newer slim models have some problems with ps2 games, can any one confirm that bf2 works fine on the ps2 slim?

Cheers Guys, - Anton. SEE U IN THE BATTLEFIELD!

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Re: Battlefield 2 Modern Combat - Questions

Post by NoLimits »

I can't answer your first question, but BF2 does not support 16:9 ratio unfortunately. My PS2's currently hooked up to a 24" widescreen TV and BF2 looks awful to say the least, although is still playable. Most TV's have the option on the remote to put the screen into 4:3 mode which will save you from the poor graphics. My TV isn't the best quality HD TV out there either from what I've observed so BF2 might not look to bad on yours, even in 16:9.

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

anton2k wrote:Also heard the newer slim models have some problems with ps2 games, can any one confirm that bf2 works fine on the ps2 slim?
The latest models (scph-90001 which is what i have) has no problems with any games I've come across, the slims you have to watch out for are some of the scph-70000 models. I don't know all the model numbers that have problems but someone else will.

anton2k

Post by anton2k »

Hey guys thanks for the reply's, Hey Awsome3B does that mean that although bf2 has a native aspect ratio of 4:3 if one a widescreen tv it will be emulated/stretched to 16:9? if so that good enough, was also planning on buying a upscaller to upscale the resolution a little. I will be running it on a 120" projected surface as well as a 37" hdtv, though only 720p or 1300 x 120 or something like that. Thanks for the replys guys.

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

anton2k wrote:Hey guys thanks for the reply's, Hey Awsome3B does that mean that although bf2 has a native aspect ratio of 4:3 if one a widescreen tv it will be emulated/stretched to 16:9? if so that good enough, was also planning on buying a upscaller to upscale the resolution a little. I will be running it on a 120" projected surface as well as a 37" hdtv, though only 720p or 1300 x 120 or something like that. Thanks for the replys guys.
I honestly have no idea about upscaling resolutions on tv's and stuff, I just use a 4:3 tube tv.
I was just trying to answer the ps2 slim question.

anton2k

Post by anton2k »

Ah right gotcha, cheers any way.

Any one else out there able to answer the self hosting of an offical bf2 server on my spare pc?

Cheers.

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

The game, when played on a 16:9 aspect ratio TV, is stretched to fit it.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

anton2k wrote: Any one else out there able to answer the self hosting of an offical bf2 server on my spare pc?
The server software for BF2: MC was never released to the public. The only entity able to host servers is GameSpy.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

anton2k

Post by anton2k »

Hey NoLimits, Thanks, that's what i thought.

Hey Mytho, Just wondering if multiplay.co.uk also has the ability to host bf2mc ps2 servers as they have a webpage setup for it, http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/gam ... rn-combat/ or do they re route through game spy, mebay they also have the software. I just wondering if this was ever made public just how complicated it would be to setup.

- Anton.

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

anton2k wrote:...does that mean that although bf2 has a native aspect ratio of 4:3 if one a widescreen tv it will be emulated/stretched to 16:9?
That all depends on what model your widescreen TV is, and how its set up. Some TV sets will always stretch 4:3 signals, in order to use all of the space on the screen. Other widescreen TV sets have different options for handling 4:3 signals. For example, my TV set lets me choose from the view modes, "Stretch," "S. Stretch," "Zoom," and "Side Bars." The first two stretch the image, "Zoom" zooms in on the image so as to chop off the top and bottom of the signal, and "Side Bars" puts black bars around the image in order to maintain the correct aspect ratio without losing any data. Consult your TV set user manual to find information on which mode(/s) your HDTV supports.
(gmt-4)