Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Mat_S7340
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Resistant_FTW

Re: Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

Post by Mat_S7340 »

COD3 the server is hosted by DemonWare (normally) ;)
Nickname online : RésistantFTW
Time zone : Brussels GMT+1 (GTM+2 in summer) [Belgium]
My tutorial on the Playstation®2 : https://www.metagames-eu.com/forums/les ... 35674.html

Vedita BR
Level 17: Silly Sam: Previous Encounter
Xlink Kai username: LtCarlos

Post by Vedita BR »

yes it can, with cheats (memory hack)
PlayStation® 2 System
SCPH-90010, 39001, SCE Modem/Ethernet (Network Adaptor)
OPL 0.9.X WIP

METAL GEAR ONLINE is BACK! SaveMGO.com
-Vedita BR / Fury-K96

ebox86
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by ebox86 »

DonkeyKong wrote:You know Square Enix will shut down Final Fantasy XI servers for PS2 and Xbox 360 in March 2016. I think Sony just waiting when the last official servers for PS2 games will shut down. There is CoD3 too ,but I don't think that they will keep DNAS for only one game,there is also low online level in it (15 players on both PAL and NTSC)
I play FFXI on ps2 and there is definitely chat about this over on the ffxi boards and on reddit's ffxi sub. From what i understand, because of the architecture of the game, the ps2/xbox/pc all share and connect to the same servers, there is no 'ps2' specific server. The game just happens to have a client for it on ps2. The only barrier, as far as i am aware, to continue to connect and play via ps2 past March would be DNAS. If there would be some way to remove DNAS from the game from either a patch or emulation (which from reading this thread seems unlikely), you would be still able to log into the official game servers via the PS2 client. I would be interested to follow up on research on how to remove DNAS from the game, and given that the game is installed locally from the ps2 HDD, it should be possible.

Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

Your post seems to confirm what we all fear... March is coming, we will soon see if DNAS servers are stopped or not.

Let's hope that some talented people will create a patch for each games (which will be very time consuming regarding all the games still playable online) or the people behind Open PS2 Loader will be able to implement a DNAS check bypass feature (Actually you can inject a DNAS in it ,and the DNAS injected in OPL is checked by the DNAS server).
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

DonkeyKong
Level 22: Rogue Soldier

Post by DonkeyKong »

In order to play FFXI you need to launch PlayOnline Viewer firstly, am I right? So, is it possible to run the game if you haven't got a connection to the network (or to PlayOnline servers)?

ebox86
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by ebox86 »

DonkeyKong wrote:In order to play FFXI you need to launch PlayOnline Viewer firstly, am I right? So, is it possible to run the game if you haven't got a connection to the network (or to PlayOnline servers)?
Yea you need to log into playonline first, which is the portal for the game. That part doesn't require a DNAS check, its only after you've authenticated with your POL account, and selected and launched FFXI from the launcher does it perform the DNAS check. This is also right before it does the version check for the client. The POL client runs off of servers that support the PC client as well so that part won't shut down.

They just released another email last night reiterating what they had previously said about the shutdown:
Notice Regarding the Cancellation of PlayStation(R)2 and Xbox 360(R) Service for FINAL FANTASY XI wrote:*This email is being sent to the email addresses of all Square Enix accounts that possess a FINAL FANTASY XI service account.

As previously announced on Thursday, March 19, 2015, PlayStation(R)2 and Xbox 360(R) service for FINAL FANTASY XI will end on Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 6:00 a.m. (PST).

As such, PlayStation(R)2 and Xbox 360(R) service will not be available after March 31, 2016 at 6:00 a.m. (PST).

Automatic billing for active FINAL FANTASY XI accounts will persist through the cancellation of PlayStation(R)2 and Xbox 360(R) service. Those wishing to cancel their accounts are advised to do so manually.

Those currently enjoying FINAL FANTASY XI on their PlayStation(R)2 or Xbox 360(R) will be able to continue playing on the Windows(R) version.

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

Is there little updates/patches for this game that fix something on the server? Can you enter the server without installing it? I just thought that they will release such and it would not be available for PS2,so you won't be able to enter the world.

BevP99
Level 9: Greg Hasting's Competition Squirtguns Max'd
Xlink Kai username: rocker9375

Post by BevP99 »

What's the deal then? I thought it was meant to be shut down by now? Weird, I am still able to connect and play matches on Mortal Kombat Armageddon

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

BevP99 wrote:What's the deal then? I thought it was meant to be shut down by now? Weird, I am still able to connect and play matches on Mortal Kombat Armageddon
FFXI servers will be closed in the end of the March,so just wait.But we still have Call of Duty 3.

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

Call of Duty 3 servers are down,FFXI is going to go offline on March 31 ,so there will be no games with official servers up that are using DNAS in the end of the month. It would not take Sony much time to close DNAS servers,so we have a bit more than one week to play.We should organize some matches in CoD3 or 2 or Finest Hour,Area 51,Battlefront 2 and others till it is possible.