Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

Post by Hunk91 »

I just read a post in this thread at gamefaqs.com : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/915821-p ... 2/71750495
which stated that sony will close its DNAS server by March 2016.

Do you think this means that some games which are still played online and requires DNAS (like Star Wars Battle Front 1 & 2) may not work anymore?

Does this means we will have to play with patched games in order to bypass the DNAS check?

I'm glad Tribes Aerial Assault don't have DNAS, we will be able to play this game forever!
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

daps2

Re: Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

Post by daps2 »

I am sure a work around will pop up eventually. Sony might even just keep it up, who knows. It is used on psp aswell so cant see them shutting it down yet

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

The only known workaround for DNAS is to disable it on the game itself. This has been done for a few games. This requires you to be able to play backups though. It has been done for .hack and I think a tonyhawk game. Any game that is still online without a LAN mode will go down however until a workaround is made. The only exceptions are tony hawk proskater 3 and tribes since those don't have it and any other games that have it disabled.

Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

Viscosity wrote:The only known workaround for DNAS is to disable it on the game itself. This has been done for a few games. This requires you to be able to play backups though. It has been done for .hack and I think a tonyhawk game. Any game that is still online without a LAN mode will go down however until a workaround is made. The only exceptions are tony hawk proskater 3 and tribes since those don't have it and any other games that have it disabled.
The best would be to recreate a DNAS server, but this would be very hard to make.

I was also thinking about disabling or removing the DNAS check in some games, but I don't know how to do that. I would like to learn how to do that.

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

uppishcub1
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by uppishcub1 »

hey even if it does shut down it lasted longer than xbox live for the xbox

teamR@@K!E

Post by teamR@@K!E »

Damn straight, the ps2 totally out lasted xbox live. Bf2 will never be online again and when all DNAS is down, all games with no lan tunneling options, and some with, will be dead and forgotten about.

It would be cool to get a mini convention for all that came to lan tunneling party. Yes i'm talking about a HUGE house party or rent out like a hotel floor or something.

One of the best things i love about Tribes aa is that SONY doesn't and will never own tribes.

When sony wants to shut down a game, like sports games, after two years or less, its down and that's it, but go buy the new Madden.

daps2

Post by daps2 »

Just remember we now have hundreds of packet dumps of it.

Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

daps2 wrote:Just remember we now have hundreds of packet dumps of it.
This is good to know. Now does somebody know how to exploit them?

Yesterday evening, I installed wireshark on my computer. I just tried a test with my web broswer and updating my antivirus. I save the paquets, I tried to read them, but then I don't know what to do with it or how to exploit it...

I can see that everything is saved (website HTML page , pictures, or files, all in the same recorded paquet file). And I think I can rebuild the files saved in this recorded paquet file.

My next step is to plug my PS2 to my computer and then connect the computer to internet via wifi and then to record all the paquets from a game session (DNAS check, DNS, etc...)

daps2

Post by daps2 »

Another thing to note is sony has just released ps2 games on ps4. This means they may bring back som of their online capabilities meaning dnas would be required...

And packet captures are read by people who understand coding languages etc...

TheDominator
Level 2: My Street Resident
Xlink Kai username: TheDominator-

Post by TheDominator »

daps2 wrote:Another thing to note is sony has just released ps2 games on ps4. This means they may bring back som of their online capabilities meaning dnas would be required...

And packet captures are read by people who understand coding languages etc...
Someone without knowledge of a programming language could understand packet logs. It just knowing a programming language will help with testing stuff and actually creating software to emulate the official software if that what your goal is.
Hunk91 wrote:
daps2 wrote:Just remember we now have hundreds of packet dumps of it.
This is good to know. Now does somebody know how to exploit them?

Yesterday evening, I installed wireshark on my computer. I just tried a test with my web broswer and updating my antivirus. I save the paquets, I tried to read them, but then I don't know what to do with it or how to exploit it...

I can see that everything is saved (website HTML page , pictures, or files, all in the same recorded paquet file). And I think I can rebuild the files saved in this recorded paquet file.

My next step is to plug my PS2 to my computer and then connect the computer to internet via wifi and then to record all the paquets from a game session (DNAS check, DNS, etc...)
If you're seriuos about what you trying to do you should know about what Internet Protocol is and few Protocols like UDP, TCP and DNS. You also should learn a scripting language, or programming language. Scripting language be able to get you off the ground faster like example Python, PHP and etc. Depending what you trying to develop PHP may be enough if the game just uses a simple master list. Example of a game like this be Tribes Aerial Assault even though someone already bring it back you may find it a learning expedience to try for yourself. There also Twisted Metal Black you may find interesting to play with since it uses no server encryption, or encryption for peer2peer connections.

One of the biggest problems you probably will run in to is encrypted traffic.