Playing Amplitude online using a DNS redirector.

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Playing Amplitude online using a DNS redirector.

Post by Masquarr »

It is apparently possible to host and join Amplitude games by redirecting the PS2 to the SOCOM master list. I have set up a DNS server that does just that. PM me if you want to test this, and see if you can play a game using it. In order to host, you need to forward port 10075 to your PS2's IP address, or have it set up as a DMZ host.

PM me for info on how to connect.
(gmt-4)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Playing Amplitude online using a DNS redirector.

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I know I wont be able to host a game here since I cant setup dmz here, but do you know if you need that port open in order to join too?

*Edit*

Also, I found some threads on google that telll you how to set this up if anyone elese wanted to ever try hosting the thing needed to make Amplitude work on the Socom servers. I don't know if this is what you used to set it up though Masquedwarrior. I took out all the important information so it will be here if these threads ever die. the original sites that had this info freq.com and freqfans.com both have been down awhile.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/ampl ... pid=589401
That's right we can all play Amplitude online again! here's the catch, the games use a very special SCE-RT server framework that is not mimic able, so instead I got it working with major props to BioHacker! (Thanks dude your awesome!), We connect to the Socom servers and everything works like it should except a few things, There is no rankings, no remix repository, other than that everything else works.

Alright, first off, you're going to need to be running Windows, and you'll need a program called "simple DNS plus". This program is not free (although there is a 14 day trial available) so, you're going to have to find other means of acquiring it. The following instructions are assuming you've managed to install the full version of Simple DNS Plus.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Open Simple DNS Plus.

Click records.

Click new.

Select primary zone, then click next.

Paste the following line into the field:
amp2003-prod.pdonline.scea.com

Click finish.

You will see things in both the left and right pane now.

In the right pane, under the two entries, right click, and then click "new host address (A-record)..."

In the IP field, type:

Click ok. You can close the program and it should minimize to the taskbar.

To check if you've done everything right up to this point, see this:
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9314/pic1dp4.jpg
Note: You're probably not going to see "Chris-PC", but instead, whatever you named your computer.

Go to whatismyip.com, and post your IP here. This is the address for the DNS you are hosting.

You're most likely going to have to forward port 53 if you're behind a router.

Although it was me that wrote this up, the real credit for this online fix goes to ZanQuance of the Freq.com forums (which sadly, are down).

...AH! one thing I forgot to add, you need to change the Nameserver line to your PC's IP address, 192.168.1.3 is just an example IP, so change accordingly.
Same guy adds some more info about the setup at this link:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/589401-a ... e/50751570
Also, make sure you have forwarded port 53 to your computer, and port 10075 to your ps2
He also says that when someone hosts a match:
You have to create lobbies for Amplitude manually, and they disappear if no one is in them for a little bit (somewhere between 5-10 min). Just make a new lobby and call it something that sticks out from the SOCOM ones.

Masquarr

Post by Masquarr »

Yeah, that was the guide I used, (although I didn't use the DNS program he mentioned, I used the DNS server app built into my router, and then forwarded port 53 to the router's inside address.)
(gmt-4)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I am interested in testing. I have DMZ setup on my PS2. Does the game work with a guitar hero controller?

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Play the game first lol. It is different than guitar hero. You do not need special giant controllers for it.

Masquarr

Post by Masquarr »

So, you both told me that you couldn't connect.

Please tell me the symptoms you experience. Does the game give a specific error message, and if so, what is it? Did you get past DNAS, at least? (Or first, I should ask, "Does this game even use DNAS?" I don't know, because I don't even own it yet!)
(gmt-4)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

it doesn't use DNAS. I can connect to the internet but when it tries to connect to amplitude it says it can't connect.

5uhm
Level 2: My Street Resident
Xlink Kai username: 5uhm

Post by 5uhm »

same here. i got an error to connect to the Server. i got a timed out to 74.65.195.94 , but why?
(gmt+1)

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

It'd be interesting to see if it did work since the pal version has music that the ntsc version doesn't.
Join the Chat sometime and I'll test it with you.

BTW, this is an older thread. Here is the one using Bobz1993's DNS.

EDIT: Actually I was wrong about it having extra music, that was Frequency.