Getting online in 2018 - flummoxed.

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Andes Attack
Level 4: Rumble Group
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Getting online in 2018 - flummoxed.

Post by Andes Attack »

Hi all, I need a little help with getting my PS2 online, in the first instance to play CoD3, but I'm lost. I could connect my old phat PS2, but that died and it's been a coupla years anyway (I've been distracted by a PS4, which is fair enough). So, coming back to getting a PS2 online, things seem to have changed, most notably the DNAS shutdown. So, I've had a look around and i can't find any coherent up-to-date guides or instructions for getting online, though it's clearly possible as the ps2online.tk site says so.

My current set-up is a slim PS2 SCPH-70003 which is softmodded via freemcboot on a memory card. I run a back-up CoD3 (NTSC-U) which is patched to allow ESR to do its thing. I've attempted to set up a network configuration file, and I've tried various things with that file (auto IP, manual IP etc), along with the DNS stated on the ps2online.tk page, but constantly get a DNAS (-402) error when I try to connect up via CoD3.

Any help, ideally in the form of an idiot's guide, would be very gratefully received. Cheers in advance :)

Oh and while I'm here, is Area 51 now officially kaput for online play?

chak88
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Re: Getting online in 2018 - flummoxed.

Post by chak88 »

Hi,
Andes Attack

You can use Cristians DNS to bypass DNA's. He actually has a pretty active Facebook group where people talk about the games it works with. It works with a ton of games. Most recently I played Need For Speed Underground a few times with it. I will post the link to the group below. Also Area 51 is still online with the PAL version and somewhat with the NTSC, but that version requires a complicated work around.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Comunid ... neTaringa/

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply, much appreciated but with the slight snag that I don't have facebook. So I guess what I need to know is - could you give me a list of active DNSs, mainly I'll be happy to play the CoDs and Area51 for now. My PAL copy is sat all cosy in its steelbook wanting some action lol.

A second question is, in my config I have the IP set to auto, does this affect the connections at all? I figure not as the PS2 connects to 'the network' fine, its just the DNAS check that fails, giving different codes depending on which CoD game I'm trying to get working.

Again, thanks a lot for replying :)

imprezaGC8
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: ImprezaGC8VI

Post by imprezaGC8 »

Hi Andes Attack,

Here's a link to the Google Docs Spreadsheet that shows the list of games that can be played online and the DNS numbers that are used to play them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1383772811
(gmt-5)

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

Cheers mate, that's awesome. Please just bear with me a moment whilst I clarify /remember in my head what's what - in order to access any of the listed servers I simply add the DNS number into a new Network Config setting? Do I need to set a manual IP or leave it as Auto in the network config program? I'm clearly doing something wrong because I have been trying to connect to CoD3 using the specified DNS (Christian's) and just continuously get the DNAS (-some number) error at the DNAS authentication stage.

Am I missing something?

edit : okay, looking further at this list, I'm not sure what a DNAS Bypass code is, or the DNAS Replacement column that gives Yes or No answers. What does this mean? I'm presuming the DNS's (ie Christians, Bobz etc) completely remove the need for the DNAS check, but that cant be right because the games I try keep trying to run the authentication, and then failing. Finest Hour has just thrown up the DNAS (-106) error. This is a original PAL disc.

So, I've a feeling what I'm missing is something to do with these DNAS Bypass codes but I'm only guessing.

chak88

Post by chak88 »

Andes Attack wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 am
Cheers mate, that's awesome. Please just bear with me a moment whilst I clarify /remember in my head what's what - in order to access any of the listed servers I simply add the DNS number into a new Network Config setting? Do I need to set a manual IP or leave it as Auto in the network config program? I'm clearly doing something wrong because I have been trying to connect to CoD3 using the specified DNS (Christian's) and just continuously get the DNAS (-some number) error at the DNAS authentication stage.

Am I missing something?

edit : okay, looking further at this list, I'm not sure what a DNAS Bypass code is, or the DNAS Replacement column that gives Yes or No answers. What does this mean? I'm presuming the DNS's (ie Christians, Bobz etc) completely remove the need for the DNAS check, but that cant be right because the games I try keep trying to run the authentication, and then failing. Finest Hour has just thrown up the DNAS (-106) error. This is a original PAL disc.

So, I've a feeling what I'm missing is something to do with these DNAS Bypass codes but I'm only guessing.
With Cristian's DNS and the IP set to auto in your network config, it will still go through the DNAS but it tricks the DNAS into thinking it passed and then connects to Cristian's servers to play the game. I don't have experience with PAL games as all of mine are NTSC. I would maybe join the Facebook group if you can and ask on there. A lot of people there use PAL games and setup might be different. I hope you can get everything working. I would be glad to play some games once you get it working. Good Luck!

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

chak88 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 pm
With Cristian's DNS and the IP set to auto in your network config, it will still go through the DNAS but it tricks the DNAS into thinking it passed and then connects to Cristian's servers to play the game. I don't have experience with PAL games as all of mine are NTSC. I would maybe join the Facebook group if you can and ask on there. A lot of people there use PAL games and setup might be different. I hope you can get everything working. I would be glad to play some games once you get it working. Good Luck!
Cheers chak, that clears things up considerably. So theoretically I've no need to do anything beyond set the network config settings to the correct DNS and all should be fine. The list as linked to above does indeed only show confirmation for the NTSC Finest Hour, so I can see why my PAL version won't work, but it doesn't help with the failure of my NTSC-U version of CoD3, always giving out the same error (-402). I can only assume it's something to do with the fact that it is an ESR-patched back-up disc, which I obviously need to use to be able to run my NTSC-U disc in the UK.

Well I'll continue persevering, hopefully I can manage to connect CoD3 up, at least, sadly (or not, in the grand scheme of things) facebook just isnt an option. Maybe, just maybe, someone on the facebook group could be directed towards providing me with any troubleshooting solutions via this forum? Just a thought. Cheers again for your help folks.

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

A quick update - I have just managed at the frst attempt to connect Area 51 PAL (original disc) onto Christian's server. So my CoD-related problems are clearly disc / version issues, I dunno why my CoD3 wont connect, it's SLUS_214.26 but it is an ESR-patched disc. I wonder if this affects the DNAS-bypassing measures on the servers? If so it looks like I'm limited to PAL games. Annoyingly I have a PAL Big Red One but it's the platinum version so presumably won't work at it's a different SLES number to the one specified on The List. Trials and tribulations lol. Well, I guess if nothing else I'm good to go with Area 51 :)

chak88

Post by chak88 »

Andes Attack wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 pm
A quick update - I have just managed at the frst attempt to connect Area 51 PAL (original disc) onto Christian's server. So my CoD-related problems are clearly disc / version issues, I dunno why my CoD3 wont connect, it's SLUS_214.26 but it is an ESR-patched disc. I wonder if this affects the DNAS-bypassing measures on the servers? If so it looks like I'm limited to PAL games. Annoyingly I have a PAL Big Red One but it's the platinum version so presumably won't work at it's a different SLES number to the one specified on The List. Trials and tribulations lol. Well, I guess if nothing else I'm good to go with Area 51 :)
Glad to hear you have at least some online capability now. Ironically Area 51 is the one game I can not get working :) Also Cristian is a member of this forum. He hasn't been active in awhile but if you private message him there is a chance he will get the notification and respond. His profile link is

https://ps2onlinegaming.com/memberlist. ... file&u=132

Hope this helps!

Andes Attack

Post by Andes Attack »

chak88 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 am
Glad to hear you have at least some online capability now. Ironically Area 51 is the one game I can not get working :) Also Cristian is a member of this forum. He hasn't been active in awhile but if you private message him there is a chance he will get the notification and respond. His profile link is

https://ps2onlinegaming.com/memberlist. ... file&u=132

Hope this helps!
Cheers mate, much appreciated :)