Project: resurrect PAL versions of games

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Project: resurrect PAL versions of games

Post by Masquarr »

The European master servers for Killzone, Amplitude, Ratchet & Clank 3, Ratchet: Gladiator, Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain,SOCOM II, and SOCOM 3 have all been terminated. However, the American versions of those games are currently playable online!

Some European ps2onlinegaming users observed that Bobz's server isn't compatible with the PAL (European) version of Syphon Filter. Additionally, users in this thread have noted that it's difficult/impossible to get a burned ISO of the NTSC version of Killzone to work on a PAL (European) PS2.

Therefore, I suggest that we attempt to use DNS redirection to send the PAL versions of those games to American master servers!

The PAL version of Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain doesn't work when using Bobz's DNS server because the European games are hard-coded to log in to servers located at different domain names than their respective American versions. Bobz's DNS server only contains entries for the American versions' domain names. If we were to find out the domain name that the European versions of a game (such as Syphon Filter,) authenticates to, Bobz would be able to create an extra entry for it, and match it up to the same IP address as the American version.

What also should be noted is that nearly all online PS2 games use DNAS authentication. NTSC/American versions of PS2 games authenticate to gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org. PAL/European version of PS2 games send a query for gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org. (The European DNAS server.) Fortunately, gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org is still functional.

Unfortunately, most games' master server checks to make sure PS2s that are connected to it have already authenticated to the appropriate DNAS server. For example, Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal (which Syphon Filter is forwarded to,) does this. So, if a PS2 running the American version of R&C: UYA connects to the American R&C: UYA master server, the UYA server will check with gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org, to make sure that the PS2 has previously authenticated to gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org. That PS2 most likely did indeed authenticate to the American DNAS server, so it will be allowed to stay on the UYA master server. In contrast, if someone creates a DNS entry to redirect the PAL version of UYA to the American UYA master server, the PAL version will get rejected because it went to the European DNAS server, rather than the American DNAS server.

However, I think we might be able to get these games to work online using DNS redirection, if we are to redirect the PAL games to not only the American master servers for the individual games, but to the American DNAS servers, too.

Here's what one of us, would do:

Set up a DNS server
1. Create an "A" entry for gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org. Match the entry up to that domain name's IP address. (This is a "normal" entry.)
2. Create a "CNAME" entry that matches the European DNAS server to the American server's IP address.
3. Right now, your DNS server's records should look something like this:
gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org. CNAME gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org.
gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org. A 203.105.78.163
4. Next, create an "A" entry that matches the European Killzone server's domain name to the IP Address of the American Killzone server.
5. Repeat step 4 for the European versions of various other games, such as Syphon Filter.

This will redirect the PAL PS2s to the American DNAS server, after which they would be sent to the American master server for whichever game they're playing.

But first, we'd need to know the European servers' domain names.

1. Download Wireshark, or another such utility.
2. Connect your PS2 to the internet in such a way that it runs through a computer. (The easiest way to do this is to set up Internet Connection Sharing on a laptop that has both a wired NIC and a wireless NIC. Use the wireless connection to connect the laptop to the internet, and share the connection to nodes connected to the wired connection.)
3. Use Wireshark to capture traffic going through the wired NIC.
4. Start up the PS2, and try to get to a game's online mode.
5. Go to Wireshark, and filter, (or look manually,) for DNS requests.
6. Tell us which domain name the game you played was looking for.

I am capable of setting up a DNS server, so I might be able to help.
(gmt-4)

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Re: Project: resurrect PAL versions of games

Post by wawowe »

Might work. Hopefully gate1.us would respond to a pal game even though the dnas codes are different between regions. Speaking of dnas and packet capturing, I wonder how hard it would be to reproduce a dnas server.. wouldn't help in connecting to the R&C3 server, but it would keep games with unofficial servers alive

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

I read from the onlineconsoles project it was hard, however, there would be 2 ways to defeat this:

1. Emulate the server.
2. Crack the DNAS check out of the game, similar to how Silverant got US PSOv2, and JPV1 and 2 online.

Another thing we should do is make packet dumps of the games. If we want to keep them up, we have to do that.
Hey Logan,

To properly bypass DNAS, one would have to write a new application to emulate the various functions of DNAS. The games which support it expect to package up the DNAS ID, encrypt it, and pass that off to Sony's DNAS server. There is nothing one can do to just "somehow make it go away". One of the biggest hurdles is that DNAS uses encryption, which poses an extra hurdle for anyone looking to salvage the online experience for any given game. Furthermore, each game uses DNAS in a different capacity. For instance, depending on the game, some will perform an extra security test to specifically confirm that it has gone through the DNAS process.

The process goes something like this:

Store a secret key in a DNAS-net download slot.
PS2 client downloads secret key (HTTPS).
PS2 client contacts the game server.
Game Server sends a random message to PS2 client (Challenge)
PS2 client computes cryptographic message digest/hash using the secret key, and sends the result to the server (Response).
The Game Server computes message digest/hash using same secret key, and compares the results.

So it doesn't just go through DNAS to first get online, but also reconfirms this with the game server itself, telling the game server that it successfully made it through DNAS.

As you can see, DNAS makes the entire situation far more complex. Instead of just programming a master list, we now have to deal with this middle man, DNAS, which arbitrates the connection process before the PS2 can even successfully connect to play online.

A programmer would have to already have extensive experience writing and emulating network software, and would have to be thirsting for a serious challenge to try and tackle writing a DNAS server.

-Ben Pekarek
Not impossible, but a pain in the ass. Older games, however, don't use DNAS.

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

Somebody better grab that ssl certificate before it disappears forever.. haha

Bobz1993
Level 10: Delta Force: White Seagull Down
Xlink Kai username: bobz1993

Post by Bobz1993 »

I'm definitely for helping out with this and will be attempting to test Amplitude (PAL) later today. If someone does have a PAL Syphon Filter, let me know and we can attempt to test some things out.
Specifically supporting Mortal Kombat, Midnight Club 3, All Star Baseball 2005, THPS, Tribes:AA and other games supported by OpenSpy.
To connect use my DNS server, 67.249.158.107

Visit http://bobzent.info for more info.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

A good idea. Would be cool if it works. All this technical stuff is beyond me though haha.

Masquarr

Post by Masquarr »

jacobgrocks wrote:...Another thing we should do is make packet dumps of the games. If we want to keep them up, we have to do that...
I've actually already started on just that! I've collected a lot of packets from both SOCOM: US Navy Seals and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. (I'm still missing some functions, some of which are clan-invitation related.)
Bobz1993 wrote:I'm definitely for helping out with this and will be attempting to test Amplitude (PAL) later today. If someone does have a PAL Syphon Filter, let me know and we can attempt to test some things out.
Thanks for taking interest! If we're able to get this to work within the next few days, it'll make a great Christmas present to give to our European users! (Yes, Christmas Day may have passed, but the Twelve Days of Christmas don't end until the evening of January 5th! Here in the USA, hardly anyone actually celebrates the Twelve Days of Christmas, but they are widely celebrated in Europe.)
(gmt-4)

Masquarr

Post by Masquarr »

wawowe wrote:Might work. Hopefully gate1.us would respond to a pal game even though the dnas codes are different between regions. Speaking of dnas and packet capturing, I wonder how hard it would be to reproduce a dnas server.. wouldn't help in connecting to the R&C3 server, but it would keep games with unofficial servers alive
Bad news. I just was experimenting with the Euro Hardware: Online Arena disc, and it appears that American DNAS servers do not work with European game discs. When I tried to authenticate with the American DNAS server, I got DNAS error -610. (BTW, I did try to connect to the internet "normally," and was able to authenticate to the European DNAS server with the same disc, so the problem probably doesn't have to do with DNAS patching.)
(gmt-4)

Bobz1993
Level 10: Delta Force: White Seagull Down
Xlink Kai username: bobz1993

Post by Bobz1993 »

Are you sure that after a regular DNAS check the game makes sure it used that region's DNAS server? Like could the PAL game use the Euro DNAS but use US SOCOM servers? If I was aware of more of the domains for the PAL games I would add them to my DNS server so it could be tested.
Specifically supporting Mortal Kombat, Midnight Club 3, All Star Baseball 2005, THPS, Tribes:AA and other games supported by OpenSpy.
To connect use my DNS server, 67.249.158.107

Visit http://bobzent.info for more info.

Masquarr

Post by Masquarr »

Once, I was talking to FreddY through AIM, and he gave me this list:

tmblack2002-prod.pdonline.scea.com
freqnet2002-prod.pdonline.scea.com
amp2003-demo.pdonline.scea.com
amp2003-prod.pdonline.scea.com
amplitude-master.online.scee.com
socom2002-prod.pdonline.scea.com
socom2-prod.svo.pdonline.scea.com
socom2-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
socom2-palmaster-muis.online.scee.com
socom2-prod-muis.rt.au.playstation.com
prbs16.rt.au.playstation.com
socom3-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
socom3-prod.svo.pdonline.scea.com
socom3html-prod.svo.pdonline.scea.com
socom3html-prod.svo.online.scea.com
socomca.ps2.online.scea.com addr 160.33.37.63
mgs3sstun.konamionline.com addr 220.151.173.171 A 220.151.173.170
mgs3sweb.konamionline.com addr 220.151.173.230
mgs3sgate04.konamionline.com addr 220.151.173.179
gdsvo2003-prod.pdonline.scea.com
mclub2ps2.ms18.gamespy.com addr 69.10.30.247
mototrax.available.gamespy.com addr 69.10.30.248
mototrax.ms2.gamespy.com addr 69.10.30.247
www.neversoft.com addr cdn.activision.edgesuite.net
www.thugonline.com addr 72.3.199.7
regweb.capcom-am.games.sega.net
gsconnect.ubisoft.com
lb-onl-wssg.ubisoft.com
gsbrouter01.gs.mdc.ubisoft.com addr 216.98.52.176
nfl2k5.games.espnvideogames.com
tsfp.fesl.ea.com
mystreet2003-prod.pdonline.scea.com
killzone-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
ratchet3-prod1.pdonline.scea.com
ratchet3-prod.pdonline.scea.com
nightcrawler.insomniacgames.com
ratchetdl-prod.pdonline.scea.com
jakx-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
ddoa-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
hotshotsgolf-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
syphonfilter-prod.pdonline.scea.com addr 160.33.33.237
syphonfilter-prod.pdonline.scea.com addr 160.33.33.238
syphonfilterdm-prod.svo.pdonline.scea.com
hw2003-prod-muis.rt.au.playstation.com
prbs22.rt.au.playstation.com
hardware-master-muis.online.scee.com
pdc.rt.au.playstation.com
prbs05.rt.au.playstation.com
prbs06.rt.au.playstation.com
82.98.86.163 sceu.com
208.73.210.29 scei.com
smackdownvsraw2007.stun.us.demonware.net
smackdownvsraw2007.stun.eu.demonware.net
cod3.stun.us.demonware.net
cod3.stun.eu.demonware.net
cod7-stun.us.demonware.net
cod7-stun.eu.demonware.net
outrun2.stun.us.demonware.net
outrun2.stun.eu.demonware.net
worms.stun.us.demonware.net
worms.stun.eu.demonware.net
sony-comput.edge3.london1.level3.net
everquestonlineadventures.station.sony.com
gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org
gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org
gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org
ts01.jp.dnas.playstation.org
bbn01.jp.dnas.playstation.org
0003.pspgate1.dnas.playstation.org
0005.pspgate1.dnas.playstation.org
jakx-game.com
killzoneps2.com
ratchet-deadlocked.com
ratchetandclankupyourarsenal.com
meggan.scea.com
atv2-prod.pdonline.scea.com
atv3-prod.muis.pdonline.scea.com
atv3-qa.pdonline.scea.com
atv3-qa.svo.pdonline.scea.com
atv4unified.ps2.online.scea.com
gt4-dev.es.pdonline.scea.com
vpc-net.pd.scea.com
nad-diag.online.scee.com
download-prod.online.scea.com
mlb06html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
mlb07html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
mlb08html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
mlb09html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
mlb07ps3html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
mlb08ps3html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
mlb09ps3html-prod.sc.online.scea.com
socomconf.ps3.online.scea.com
socom4-prod.online.scea.com
socom4.dl.online.scea.com
killzone3ps3telemetry.online.scea.com
killzoneps3.online.scee.com
resistance.ps3.online.scea.com
resistance-prod.online.scea.com
resistance-prod.svo.online.scea.com
resistancegs.ps3.online.scea.com
resistancegs-prod.mas.online.scea.com
resistance.online.scee.com
rfom.rt.au.playstation.com
resistance-muis.scej-online.jp
resistance-mas.scej-online.jp
resistance-svo.scej-online.jp
resistance-prod-muis.pdonline.scek.co.kr
resistance-svo.playstation.co.kr
resistance-prod-mas1.pdonline.scek.co.kr
motorstorm2ps3.online.scee.com
motorstorm3ps3.online.scee.com
warhawk-press.ps3.online.scea.com
warhawk.ps3.online.scea.com
warhawk-pubeta.ps3.online.scea.com
blob102.scea.com
warhawk-press.bwps.online.scea.com
warhawk-pubeta.bwps.online.scea.com
warhawk.bwps.online.scea.com
warhawk.bwps.online.scee.com
warhawk.bwps.rt.au.playstation.com
warhawk-bwps.scej-online.jp
warhawk-bwps.pdonline.scek.co.kr
parappa.scej-online.jp
wipeoutpurepsp.scej-online.jp
derby.scej-online.jp

You can tell which ones are for the European domain names because contain terms like "scee," and "pal." socom2-palmaster-muis.online.scee.com is the SOCOM II's master server domain name, I think.
(gmt-4)