What was the last ps2 game you bought?

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Re: What was the last ps2 game you bought?

Post by Mytho »

I bought a new copy of Motorstorm: Arctic Edge yesterday for $5 at Goodwill. I had my eye on it for a few months, but was unwilling to pay $10 for it since it had some damage to the case. However, this damage is only on the case, not the art.

I also took a trip to the Lo Budget thrift store on the way home (no joke, this is the name of the store!). They had a few PS2 games, but these games looked like rejects from Gamestop. They were either beaten up, or the discs were 'polished' with a belt sander. Oh well, what can you expect from the Lo Budget store.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I forgot motorstorm was ported to ps2. Wonder if its ported well.

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

lazyhoboguy wrote:I forgot motorstorm was ported to ps2. Wonder if its ported well.
The port has some issues. The most noticeable is that some of the menu elements, such as the 3D models of the riders and vehicles, were not adjusted from the wide screen PSP to the 4:3 standard output of the PS2. These models look squashed and out of proportion. The movies running in the background of the menus also look somewhat squashed.

There is also some slowdown when many vehicles group together (mainly in the beginning of the race) or if masses of snow particles are flooding the screen. It isn't a game breaker, but it shouldn't be there. The PS2 is supposedly more powerful than the PSP, so these minor technical errors strike me as laziness from the porting team.

However, I did enjoy playing the game and the variety of vehicles it offers. I don't know how the PSP version looks, but outside of the slowdown, the PS2 version looks pretty nice. It isn't a showpiece of the system, but it is a very respectable and solid looking title. The soundtrack is also another highlight of the game, which is comprised of electro, drum'n'bass, and rock (absolutely NO cheesy ass rap music here!). If you can get this game fairly cheap, I don't think you will be disappointed.
(gmt-5)

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

Those cocksuckers at the pawn shop lied to me! :evil:

I went today on a whim, and found that they had gotten some more PS2 games in. The last time I was there, the guy told me they were phasing the PS2 games out, so I wrote the place off.

I ended up buying Final Fantasy X and THUG 2 after perusing through the new stack. They're not in amazing shape (THUG 2 is pretty scratched up), but the prices were reasonable ($2 for THUG 2? Sure!). I figure that I can always sell the games off and get at least what I paid for them if I desire nicer copies.
(gmt-5)

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

As some of you may be aware, GameStop is running a Buy 2, Get 2 deal for PS2, GC and GBA games. Even though these stores disgust me, I swallowed my pride and visited a few in my area to peruse their games.

My PS2 haul, thus far, includes Shadow of the Colossus, Firefighter F.D. 18, Call of Duty 3, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. Shadow of the Colossus is in surprisingly great shape, with minor scratches on the disc. The guy at the counter even talked to me about the game and gave me some tips. :)

The latter 4 I purchased today at the GS in the mall. Firefighter F.D. 18's disc is scratched to all hell, but the game surprisingly works. This game is actually fairly rare, but I want to get a nicer disc if possible. I'm considering exchanging this for another game if the location I'm visiting later this week has another game I want.

Call of Duty 3's disc is also really scratched, but considering this was a free game, I don't really care. Baldur's Gate and THPS4 are in pretty good shape, all things considered.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Sounds like you got a decent haul, I still need to go check out that sale.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I took advantage of that estarland.com buy 1 get 1 60 percent off deal and got a few new ps2 games.

Ratchet and Clank Up your Arsenal (still online, no lan)
Mercenaries
Darkwatch
X-Men Legends II (still online, no lan)
Heroes of the Pacific (still online,has lan)

I don't have them with me yet as they are coming in the mail.

Scoopers
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

Is Shadow of the Colossus any good? I played FFXII and since the real time fighting I'm not very accurate with I didn't care for it at all. That because I'm a FF Buff that enjoyed the traditional fighting scenes. So that real time ruined it for me a bit. But for collection sake I still bought it and am only missing FF11, the online one. Other then that I have the NES/SNES versions into the PS1 to PS2 and hope to get the new PS3 one once it falls below market value, even if it does stink.

Also Fallout 3 and Assassins Creed are good games I enjoy and Dragon Age's 2 is another one. Is this game similar to those?
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Just got Timesplitters 1 and The Warriors. Played a bit of TS1 tonight and am having fun with it.

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

My copies of Urban Chaos and Psi-Ops came in today from eBay. Both games had GameStop stickers on them, which gave me some worry. The disc for Urban Chaos is covered in millions of tiny scratches, almost as if somebody screwed up trying to clean it. Thankfully, the game works, and most importantly, is pretty fun.

Psi-Ops fared better of the two. The disc has some residue on it, but is relatively scratch free. The only thing that pissed me off was an old GameStop sticker on the manual. I tried peeling it off, and I could see that it left some residue behind. I gave up, deciding to come back to it with some proper tools.

I don't know if anybody else remembers the marketing campaign for Psi-Ops, but I've never forgotten this song for some reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACPz49K0b8g (prepare for nu-metal)

"With my miiiiiind, with my miiiiiind!" :lol:
(gmt-5)