DNAS: saving needed packets

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
no23
Level 7: PacifistZone
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

DNAS: saving needed packets

Post by no23 »

The current state of the DNAS replacement server is able to recreate the needed packets under the following circumstances:

- game is NTSC-J
- DNAS for the game is still supported by Sony

I already created the needed SSL certificates for the other gateways for games from the EU and US regions (PAL, NTSC-U). And I ordered a few games for testing (Area-51, Star Wars Battlefront). So when I managed to let one of these games pass the DNAS test via the replacement server we can start to implement the needed packets for all the other games and regions.

The problem is that as of now the server needs one captured packet to be independent from Sony's service. This might change at a later date but for now there's no other way but to capture and rebuild the packets.

This means for the first step we should put together games in this thread that meet the following criteria:

- NTSC-J, NTSC-U or PAL
- DNAS still passes with Sony's service (redirection to new IPs neccessary)
- private server is not a must

I suggest to post in the following format:

Code: Select all

GAMENAME
REGION
PRIVATE SERVER URL
In the meantime I'll setup the needed hardware and nameserver.

Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Re: DNAS: saving needed packets

Post by Hunk91 »

Thank you No23! That's a great news!

I think the member Mat_S7340 made some packets capture of Call OF Duty 3 (PAL) when the game was still online with official servers. I think I also read that member Daps2 did that too (same game, same version).

I will try to organise some game soon (Area 51 or Sniper Elite) with some packet capture in order to grow the packet collection!

Once bobz server is back, it will open some other opportunities for other games.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 always has 2 private servers up (Dracula and Swbfgamers.com) so you can make packet capture of this game anytime.

Best regards
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

no23

Post by no23 »

Great! Having packet captures handy for any possible revival is good.

For DNAS itself they won't help that much because they were encrypted in the SSL stream we cannot decrypt. But when everything is set up the certificates of the replacement server are used and the needed packets can be captured with SSL stripped off.

no23

Post by no23 »

Follow up:

I began to capture some DNAS packets for the following games:

- Burnout Revenge
- Hardware Arena Online
- Killzone
- Monster Hunter
- Resident Evil Outbreak File#2
- Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
- SOCOM3
- Star Wars Battlefield
- Star Wars Battlefield2

All games from PAL region and still pass the check with a DNS redirection.

I used a specially crafted proxy software for this task, this way I am able to strip off the SSL encryption and see the bare DNAS packets. I think at the end of this weekend I'll be ready to put that stuff on my server and write a short tutorial on how you all can help me to capture the DNAS packets of every single game still passing the check.

Btw., this is of course a lot of boring work. But it's beneficial, believe me. For example it took me around 10 minutes to emulate the needed packets for Star Wars Battlefront I + II to pass DNAS :) This means the PAL versions of these games are already safe...

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

This is great news! This is exactly what was done on the DS and Wii when their servers were going offline. I'm curious, how are you replicating the certificates? Is it legal? I'm asking because the Wii and DS private servers require you to strip ssl off the domains in order to use the server. If you have a dns to get packets from, then I should be able to test as much as I possibly can.

no23

Post by no23 »

Viscosity wrote:I'm curious, how are you replicating the certificates? Is it legal? I'm asking because the Wii and DS private servers require you to strip ssl off the domains in order to use the server. If you have a dns to get packets from, then I should be able to test as much as I possibly can.
I found a flaw in the certificate processing of libDNAS, so I used this to create selfsigned certificates which are happily accepted by PS2. A DNS entry is in the works, capturing will be done on the server itself. All it will take is to start the game on a console with that nameserver and try to go online. The DNAS check will be decrypted and the packets saved. Emulation is done at a later date because it takes some handwork. The problem is that Sony could pull the plug for DNAS every minute and then the needed packets are gone forever. The timing is crucial.

I really appreciate your help, will post or pm more details later.

Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

That's a great news!
If I'm understanding right you are making a DNS server which will record the Dnas packet and it will decrypt them later?

I'm in to test as much games as possible!

If I didn't understood it right, Just post a tutorial how we can help you, and I would be happy to make as much test as possible. I will even change my schedule (returning home at lunch time to play games for 30 minutes !)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

no23

Post by no23 »

Hunk91 wrote:That's a great news!
If I'm understanding right you are making a DNS server which will record the Dnas packet and it will decrypt them later?
Exactly. The packets captured this way aren't suitable for replaying, but they are needed to create the packets for emulation. Simply capturing the packets on console side doesn't work because of the SSL encryption, the server acting as a man in the middle is needed to get rid of SSL. Basically, I am dividing the whole thing in three phases:

1.) Gathering DNAS packets from every online game of every region. Even one DNAS pass is enough, we don't need multiple captures of the same game/region (but they won't hurt)
2.) Creating emulation packets for games where this is already possible. (I'm having difficulties with some of them, .hack/fragment for example)
3.) Putting the stuff together and setting up a real DNAS replacement server for PS2. Then testing the emulation.

Btw., I forgot to tell you that this isn't suitable for hdd games yet, only DVD. I think there aren't that many by now.

Apparently, my ISP needs a few days to set the additional IPs up, I guess we can start sometime next week. I'll keep you updated and of course post a short tutorial.

Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

Thank you No23 for these explications! That's perfectly clear now for me!

Thanks a lot

Please have a nice Day

Best regards
Last edited by Hunk91 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no23

Post by no23 »

Aaaand .... here we go:

First of all you need to create a network file for your console which makes use of deathless.net's IP: 149.56.101.45

Then you need to register the IP from which you'll access the server. Use the browser on a PC/tablet/phone in the same network like your console and go to DNAS forever. This is only neccessary to divide the captures, your IP will be deleted after this phase. You can enter a username which I'll use for crediting later, but you can leave it empty or setup a fantasy name. Please have in mind that you might have to do this step again when you're on a network with dynamically changing IPs. The server will not capture or do DNAS checks if your IP isn't registered. This simply keeps the database clean and the capture file small.

After registration you're prompted with an overview of your captures:

Now you're ready to capture. Simply put the disc in your console and try to get online. After the DNAS check is done, you can reload the page and rename the capture to the game you just added to the database. Btw., I also used pcsx2 to get some of the packets. In this case the games need to be patched with the proper DNAS ID. Easier is to simply use your console.

For an overview of the games already in the database go to Game Overview

If any questions or problems arise, don't hesitate to contact me.