DNAS: saving needed packets

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
no23
Level 7: PacifistZone
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Re: DNAS: saving needed packets

Post by no23 »

Vedita BR wrote:Just use any hexadecimal value and it will work. E.g. I set 11 22 33 44 55 in Game ID under OPL's game configuration screen.
I strongly suggest NOT to follow this advise. First of all I doubt it'll lead to a successful DNAS check. But more important, it could possibly taint the captures and a later emulation of DNAS might fail for the original IDs.

Some background information:
On a regular setup a mixture of your hardware IDs and the disc ID is sent to the server and then checked if it's legit. The disc ID comes from the DVD and cannot be read by a usual DVD reader, only by PS2. You can trick the DNAS library to think it reads an ID you injected with WinDiip or similar. This is nothing bad as long you use the real ID of the disc. If you inject a wrong disc ID your DNAS check can still be successful under certain conditions. This was used in the past to get games online that weren't officially supported by DNAS anymore. You simply injected a working ID of another online title. It didn't work in all cases though. Now you can imagine what happens if we get captures of an ID that is not meant to be used for the game we want to emulate. Right! We are able to emulate DNAS for a game with a wrong ID and someone having the game with the legit ID might not be able to pass the check...

Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

This week-end, I plan to add to the list :

Destruction Derby Arena (PAL)
Moto GP 4 (PAL)
NHL 2K6 (PAL)
Toca 3 (PAL)
Mortal Kombat Armagedon (NTSC-U)
And may be Juiced (PAL) if I can find my copy.

I'm asking to my friends if tey kept some online games for PS2 in order to make more inputs in the list!
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

Vedita BR
Level 17: Silly Sam: Previous Encounter
Xlink Kai username: LtCarlos

Post by Vedita BR »

no23 wrote:Now you can imagine what happens if we get captures of an ID that is not meant to be used for the game we want to emulate. Right! We are able to emulate DNAS for a game with a wrong ID and someone having the game with the legit ID might not be able to pass the check...
The check is done by PS2 Client, if you set an invalid ID the PS2 won't even connect to the internet. I always set Game ID as 11 22 33 44 55 and it never failed, even with SOCOM Patches wich is DNAS crippled.
PlayStation® 2 System
SCPH-90010, 39001, SCE Modem/Ethernet (Network Adaptor)
OPL 0.9.X WIP

METAL GEAR ONLINE is BACK! SaveMGO.com
-Vedita BR / Fury-K96

Mat_S7340
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Resistant_FTW

Post by Mat_S7340 »

I have encoded more than 15 games for the PAL region.
I hope the packages will be helpful :)
But I do not understand why some people encodes the games several times...
Nickname online : RésistantFTW
Time zone : Brussels GMT+1 (GTM+2 in summer) [Belgium]
My tutorial on the Playstation®2 : https://www.metagames-eu.com/forums/les ... 35674.html

no23

Post by no23 »

Vedita BR wrote:The check is done by PS2 Client, if you set an invalid ID the PS2 won't even connect to the internet. I always set Game ID as 11 22 33 44 55 and it never failed, even with SOCOM Patches wich is DNAS crippled.
Let's assume for a moment you patched game A with ID of game B. Now your game A connects to official DNAS service with ID B, gets the challenge for ID B, checks with ID B and passes the test. In a few weeks you connect your game A with ID B on the replacement DNAS and get the emulated challenge. The check is successful. But what if you connect game A with ID A (the way it is meant to be) and get the challenge for ID B? Chances are the test fails, or am I wrong?
I cannot say if this will cause any trouble as I am not able to fully decrypt the DNAS messages, just enough to emulate a successful test for a given ID. But I'd say it's better to go the safe route.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Well, there are a few games with DNAS that have been terminated. Would it be okay to test those with an injected ID of another game if it makes it pass? NFL blitz pro is one of the games that I own with that issue. NHL hitz pro also is known to have the issue.

Vedita BR

Post by Vedita BR »

no23 wrote:
Vedita BR wrote:The check is done by PS2 Client, if you set an invalid ID the PS2 won't even connect to the internet. I always set Game ID as 11 22 33 44 55 and it never failed, even with SOCOM Patches wich is DNAS crippled.
Let's assume for a moment you patched game A with ID of game B. Now your game A connects to official DNAS service with ID B, gets the challenge for ID B, checks with ID B and passes the test. In a few weeks you connect your game A with ID B on the replacement DNAS and get the emulated challenge. The check is successful. But what if you connect game A with ID A (the way it is meant to be) and get the challenge for ID B? Chances are the test fails, or am I wrong?
I cannot say if this will cause any trouble as I am not able to fully decrypt the DNAS messages, just enough to emulate a successful test for a given ID. But I'd say it's better to go the safe route.
I just tested an unpatched ISO of Biohazard Outbreak with Game ID set as I always do on Open PS2 Loader, I used the DNS of OBSRV to connect to your DNAS emulated server and Outbreak server and DNAS check was sucessful.

All games that I have installed on my IDE HDD have the Game ID set as I said, none of them ever failed. Sometimes I use my PS2 Slim to play and their game disc and it never failed.

The Game ID is just the CD/DVD media key, even games without DNAS/online features have that.
PlayStation® 2 System
OPL 0.9.X WIP

-Vedita BR / Fury-K96

no23

Post by no23 »

Vedita BR wrote:All games that I have installed on my IDE HDD have the Game ID set as I said, none of them ever failed. Sometimes I use my PS2 Slim to play and their game disc and it never failed.
Mhm, then I wonder why we had to patch DNAS all those years if the ID doesn't matter. The only explanation I can imagine is that openps2loader does its own patching.

Vedita BR

Post by Vedita BR »

Yes, it matters. If you don't set one, it will give you DNAS error -864. The only "invalid" ID that i'm aware is 00 00 00 00 00
PlayStation® 2 System
OPL 0.9.X WIP

-Vedita BR / Fury-K96

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

While I'm sure it works. This doesnt seem to invalidate his concern. If you use that code, we don't know of it will work the same way as of you use the legit code found on a legit copy of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong