ps2 multitap not working

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
djknitex
Level 2: My Street Resident

ps2 multitap not working

Post by djknitex »

Just got a multitap, put it into both slots, not working, trying to play champions of norrath 3 players, why isn't it working! D:

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: ps2 multitap not working

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I think there are different types of those. I had one which I tried using on my slim ps2 but it did not work. Think some only work with the older model ps2s.

Sounds like this multitap only works with the slim ps2s

http://us.playstation.com/ps2/accessori ... 70120.html

And guess there must be an older version of the multitap for older ps2s.

People discussed problems with multitap over here:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Play ... p/27283913

*edit*

Also found this video. If you have the wrong version of multitap you can try messing with it and making it work. Try at your own risk though as I haven't done this.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

djknitex

Post by djknitex »

PS2 Model: 390001
Multitap: 100090

when the multitap is in SLOT A, only the first controller of the mulitap work, but if it's in SLOT B, the memory cards are detected, but the controllers only work at teh dashboard.

What is wrong?

Champions of norrath is having problems reading it

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

http://forums.snowblindstudios.com/view ... ?f=4&t=667

Maybe that thread can help you.

Do you have the instruction manual for the game? it might tell you how the game needs multitap setup.

djknitex

Post by djknitex »

yeah I read it, it just plug a multitap in and play pretty much

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

Does anyone know of any good (fully-functional) multitaps that are compatible with both the fat Playstation 2 and the slim Playstation 2? I clicked on the links in lazyhoboguy’s posts to get more information about multitaps, but the links are broken.

While searching Amazon.com, I did manage to find some multitaps that advertise themselves as being compatible with the slim PS2. However, many of them had customer reviews that stated that the device in question is actually not compatible with the slim PS2 and is only compatible with the fat PS2, (or vice-versa.) The customer reviews for the Compact Multi-Player Adaptor from Intec state that the product works with both consoles, but the device only has one memory card slot. The Playtech Ps2 Multitap says it’s compatible with both. It has four memory cards, and, as shown in the photograph, the memory card and controller plugs are each on a separate cable, so in theory, one should have no trouble plugging the device into either PS2 console variant. However, it’s from a third-party manufacturer, and I generally try to get first-party hardware when possible, because they tend to be more reliable. I’ve never heard of Playtech before, and their multitap has no reviews, so I’d be going in blind. I found this first-party Sony multitap at Amazon, but it is apparently only compatible with the slim PS2. Did Sony ever make an official multitap that’s compatible with both PS2 console variants? I vaguely recall seeing such a multitap for sale, new, at a brick & mortar store, but it's possible that I simply misread the information on the package, or that I'm remembering incorrectly.
(gmt-4)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I assume it has to do with the space between the controller port and the memory card. I am sure if you could mod one to fit the other console it would work.

teamR@@K!E
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!

Post by teamR@@K!E »

I remember seeing one back in the day, but only for a fat.

What i would like to know is, what game are you focused on using this for?

Carlos
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: CarlosBarreto

Post by Carlos »

Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms can be played with 4 players. It's a good example of a game that uses Multitap.

I own a third party Multitap for my PS2 slim. It's not the best example of quality, but it works fine.

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

Viscosity wrote:I assume it has to do with the space between the controller port and the memory card. I am sure if you could mod one to fit the other console it would work.
Well yes, that's true; I'm aware of that. The Youtube video that Lazy embedded details such a procedure, to make a multitap for fat PS2s work with slim PS2s. The problem is that, once you do that mod, the multitap will apparently no longer function with fat PS2s. If you want to plug it into a fat PS2, you'll have to dissassemble it again, to change it back to the way it was beforehand.
teamR@@K!E wrote:...What i would like to know is, what game are you focused on using this for?
I don't intend to use it for any single specific game. I was interested in buying it to supplement my existing multitap. Some PS2 games (such as the WWE Smackdown vs. RAW series,) let you play with 6 or more simultaneous players if you plug in one multitap to each of the PS2's controller ports. I want to have a second multitap, for that reason. However, I also want to be able to bring the multitap with me, and plug it into a friend's slim PS2, to enable us to play 4-player games. (My friend doesn't have a multitap.)

I'm sort of interested in the Playtech PS2 multitap, because it looks like it really would be compatible with both models. I'm just slightly squeamish because it's third-party. Not only that, but in the time since I made my initial post, FreddY showed me a link with more information:
5. The multitaps made specifically for each model are incompatible with each other. Even the third-party ones that are supposedly built for both will often not work on the slim model. (This happened to me. I have the original model, and I bought a multitap that would work on both models. Since my cousins have a slim PS2, I though I would try it on theirs. However, their console wouldn't even turn on. I later found out that slim models might not have enough power to run a multitap made for both.) Regardless of which model PS2 you get, get the official Sony-manufactured multitap that is specifically made for that model (original or slim).
I don't want to have to go through the trouble of trying to get a refund if it turns out that the multitap does not work with both models, or if it doesn't work at all. (The only listing says that it's "UNTESTED"!) But if no one else here has experience using a multitap that's compatible with both models, that might just be a risk I'll have to take.
(gmt-4)