Some general questions about PS2

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
JoeClark
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Some general questions about PS2

Post by JoeClark »

Hi,
Before buying a ps2 I would like to know a few things?
1. Which PS2 model would you recommend?
2. Which PS2 "mod" method do you prefer and why?
3. Are there any decent sites in Europe that sell premodded PS2 consoles?
4. Do playstation 2 wireless controllers work well?

Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/som ... s2.742839/

Ecommerce Software Video

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Re: Some general questions about PS2

Post by Masquarr »

I'm not too sure about the first three. However, I do not recommend the use of wireless Playstation 2 controllers, for several reasons. First, Sony never made their own wireless PS2 controller. All of the wireless controllers were made by other companies, and most of those third-party controllers aren't very high in quality. (Pelican, for example.) Also, you have to plug in a dongle, which is inconvenient, especially if you ever want to bring it to a friend's home, in order to play multiplayer games. You'll have to carry not only the controller, but the dongle, with you, and make sure you don't leave the dongle behind at your friend's house after you leave. Also, wireless controllers from that generation tend to drain batteries rather quickly, from my experiences.
(gmt-4)

DRPS2
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: DRPS2

Re: Some general questions about PS2

Post by DRPS2 »

1. Which PS2 model would you recommend?
Personally, any fat model because you can stick a hard disk in there and copy your games to it. Load times are massively quicker and you save your ps2 laser. Just don't go for the very lastPS2's as the option to softmod is not available Sony removed the exploit in the system, I can't recall the number the serial starts from.

2. Which PS2 "mod" method do you prefer and why?
FMCB (free MCboot)- To use the hard drive storage as described above you would need this. It is also good because this is a software mod you do not need to have have hardware touched to mod your ps2 so it's not going to break your console and you can have several apps on it. I use OPL to manage my game library on the disk.

link to a good guide for FMCB: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1248

3. Are there any decent sites in Europe that sell premodded PS2 consoles?
no idea

4. Do playstation 2 wireless controllers work well?
I have a set of cheap ones from eBay. They look like actual ps2 controllers and cost around 4-7euro. They are not perfect but they do work very well in my experience and the battery lasts really well (they use 2 AAA batteries). Running cables across my loving room is a no go the ps2 is too far away. I tried with extension leads but it gets annoying. So it's a trade off between quality and practicality for me. Here is an example of the same type
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-Wireless- ... Sww9xZNSap