Playstation 2 Platformers

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Playstation 2 Platformers

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I have been playing Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus and although it took me a few levels to get into it, I have been having a blast with this game.

I hadn't played a good 3d platformer in awhile and now that I have done so again I crave more :twisted: !!! lol. I played jak and daxter back in the day and enjoyed that and ratchet and clank was good from what I remember, but I know I must be missing out on others. What other fun platformers do you guys know about or like?

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Re: Playstation 2 Platformers

Post by Mytho »

There are probably a few I own that I'm forgetting about, but the one game I've been playing off and on for a year now is Kya: Dark Lineage. It isn't quite as good overall as the Sony platformers, but given how cheap it is today, I'd recommend it.

The environments are probably my favorite part of the game. You'll be sneaking through a fort, riding streams of wind with a board, and running across a landscape of suspended rocks throughout this game. It's a very interesting and diverse world to interact with.

I also remember enjoying Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex when it first came out. It wasn't as polished as its predecessors, but its certainty a solid game, faithful to the spirit of the other Crash games. However, the loading times are absolutely atrocious. If I remember correctly, they were around 25-40 seconds per level. The reason behind this was likely due to the heavy compression required to fit the game on a CD-ROM. If you are going to get this game, I'd recommend you find the Greatest Hits version, as that was actually pressed on a DVD.

The best out of the bunch I'd recommend is Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil. This game has great, colorful graphics, solid controls, and fun gameplay. There are also some fun bonus levels where you are snowboarding and doing other activities. The only complaint I have with this game is that it's easy. I was able to get to the last worlds within a day or two of playing this game. But don't let that dissuade you from trying this game out.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Thanks for the suggestions I had that kya game in my wishlist from a long time ago, but I completely forgot about it. Klonoa 2 looks interesting as well.

I will probably hold off on that crash game until I play the ps1 originals first.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

It turns out I was wrong about Wrath of Cortex on PS2. The Greatest Hits version was also pressed to a CD-ROM instead of a DVD like I said above. However, I do remember hearing that the Greatest Hits version has better loading, so take that for what it's worth.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom is a good one. Before you pass this off as some lame game that some people tried to milk this game is actually pretty good and the humor is nice too. It is probably the best tv show game out there that is not a piece of crap. You can finish the game pretty quickly if you don't explore some things and rush right through but it is entertaining.

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

Favrenation wrote:Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom is a good one. Before you pass this off as some lame game that some people tried to milk this game is actually pretty good and the humor is nice too. It is probably the best tv show game out there that is not a piece of crap. You can finish the game pretty quickly if you don't explore some things and rush right through but it is entertaining.
Someone agrees! ;)
Yeah Battle for Bikini Bottom is imo really underrated. I had a ton of fun playing it and it seemed like the developers actually decided to put thought into a video game based off a tv show for once.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom is at least a creative title lol. I read the user reviews on gamespot and it seems like its worth checking out. I probably never would have bothered to read about this game if you hadn't told me about it. Thanks.

I just finished Sly Cooper last night too. If any of you guys haven't played that, I highly recommend you guys get it. I think I payed like 5 bucks for my copy.

NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

I had thought about it before and might pick it up sometime. But I have other games I need to buy first like Future Perfect.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Yea, and sly 1, 2, and 3 are being re-released with a hd upgrade for the ps3 soon or already. Think it cost 40 bucks. I personally dont care much about updated graphics so I will still play sly 2 and buy sly 3 on the ps2.

NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

That's still pretty cool. I always say I don't care much about graphics, but it still affects what games I enjoy. Obviously other factors are more important but when you take a good game and just make it look better, then I'm for it. For example, I'm definitely getting the Team ICO HD Collection whenever they release it on PS3.