audio and video thread

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
altecgodofchaos
Level 7: PacifistZone
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

audio and video thread

Post by altecgodofchaos »

PS2 home theater enthusiasts: swap info on HDTV, surround sound and more.

I justed wanted to let you all know that the Playstation 2 is capable of HD picture on some games, which include tourist trophy, and Gran Turismo 4, which both support 480P and 1080I.
The Playstation 2 supports 480I, 480P, and 1080I on some games. Most games support progressive Scan/480P which can improve the graphics tremendously. To enable the HD or Progressive part of the Playstation 2 you will need a component cable and a TV that supports HD as well. Depending on your taste or preferences, a lot of TV technologies look great on the ps2. I'm just gonna give you all some background on the different TV technologies and their pros and cons.
Last edited by altecgodofchaos on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

altecgodofchaos

Re: audio and video thread

Ill start off with the LCD tv.

LCD TV Advantages:

* LCDs are good for still images and make good computer monitors. So, if you're looking for a screen for TV and computer use, LCDs are a good bet
* Quality LCDs have excellent brightness level pictures.
* LCD flat panels don't take up room and can be mounted on walls. In addition, LCDs are typically slightly lighter than Plasma TVs.
* Quality LCDs have a fairly long life, especially compared to older models (roughly 13-15 years at a six-hour per day pace.
* There are more 1080p LCD models than plasma (you'll see a sharper picture with a 1080p model).

LCD TV Disadvantages:

* LCDs are not good for fast-moving pictures. When an object moves quickly across the screen, the image "delays" (there are trails of pixilation or blockingess), because the screen can't keep up. For this reason, LCDs that are 37" or smaller generally have better image quality because the delay is less noticeable than on larger LCDs.
* LCD TVs have difficulty with black levels
* LCD image looks great when you're staring directly at it, but if you are watching from a slanted view the quality of the image can diminish greatly.
* LCDs are very expensive over 35"
* LCDs sometimes have pixel failure. This isn't a common problem with top name brands, where one or two pixels might eventually die, leaving a black dot here and there. This is hardly noticeable unless you're standing directly in front of the screen (considering a 20" LCD screen has 30,000 pixels). However, in cheaper models where 10% of the pixels could go out, the TV may become unwatchable.

Plasma TV advantages:

* Top name brand plasmas have a fairly long life, lasting about 20 years at a six hours per day pace.
* A plasma screen has a field vision of about 180 degrees without loss of picture quality. That means you can watch the screen from any angle.
* Plasmas are very bright (about 4-5 times brighter than the average TV)
* They have great contrast ratios (enables them to show better shadow detail)
* Plasmas are generally cheaper than LCDs
* They have excellent picture response. There is virtually no delay (blockiness or pixilation) like with LCDs.
* Doesn't take up much space and can be mounted on a wall.

Plasma TV Disadvantages:

* Plasmas can have burn in problems. Plasmas do not make as good computer monitors as LCDs. If you were to leave the Plasma TV on for 24 hours a day and there was an image that remained constant on the screen (like a logo), you would run the risk of that image permanently burning into the screen. However, the chance of this happening is often over-exaggerated.
* Plasmas are not available below 37 inches.

DLP/Digital light processing TV Advantages:
* DLP screens are larger and are cheaper in the short-term than LCD or Plasma.
* Good brightness and color. DLP can illuminate a larger screen for more people at a cheaper initial cost than Plasma.

DLP TV Disadvantages:

* There's a high maintanence cost. The DLP TV is basically a video projector in a box. You have to replace the lightbulb, which has limited durability.
DLPs take up a lot more space than Plasma and LCD and are not wall mountable.
* DLPs don't have as good field vision as Plasmas, meaning you can't get as good picture quality when viewing the screen at an angle.
* DLPs are not known for having that great of picture quality.
* Fast moving objects can cause a trail of colors (color artifacts)

CRT direct view TV advantages:

* Price: CRT analog televisions are some the most affordable viewing devices on the market. Some digital models can be quite expensive. But, most units are moderately priced when compared to rear projection and flat panel models, especially in 30" and below models.
* Picture Quality: Tube televisions have the best picture quality of any television, period. Contrast ratio, sharpness and overall detail is excellent on almost every model. This holds true even for analog units.
* Video Game Play: CRTs are wonderful display devices for people who love to play video games like Playstation or XBOX. Their ability to process highly detailed images at a fast rate is excellent. This is my preferred model to play video games on.
* Durability: Being the oldest of TV types has its advantages because manufacturers know what does and doesn't work with this technology. I sometimes wonder how confident they are or how much I am with rear projection and flat panel models in terms of performance over time. The bottom line is that CRT televisions are built to last.

CRT direct view Disadvantages:

# Size: Tube televisions are heavy and bulky, which makes them difficult to move around, change cables and place in small spaces. In most cases, a person has to clear a corner for this type of television. Digital models are heavier than analog models and can weigh over 100 lbs. On the bright side, Samsung has developed a SlimFit television that is only 2/3 as deep as traditional models, but they still weigh over 100 pounds.
# Screen Size: Currently, screen sizes max out at around 36". This is a tremendous disadvantage for CRTs because rear projection and flat panel models (with larger screen sizes) popularity is growing while their price is falling.
# Pizzaz: This word is not used enough. While CRT tubes are probably the most reliable of any TV type, when was the last time you heard someone say, "Would you like to come over and check out the new 27" tube I got the other day?" When was the last time you saw a commercial for an all-digital CRT HDTV with built-in ATSC digital tuners? In their defense, not many televisions can compete with the show-stopping appeal of a flat panel or 60-plus inch rear projection model.
Last edited by altecgodofchaos on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

altecgodofchaos

In my opinion the three tvs that look the best on ps2 is the DLP TV,Rear CRT projection Tv, and CRT Direct view tvs.
Last edited by altecgodofchaos on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

altecgodofchaos

Next Ill talk about the surround sound feature of the ps2. to enable Dolby digital or Dolby pro Logic II surround sound feature you will need a digital optical cable that goes from your PS2 to your surround system that supports Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro logic II. even though the ps2 is about 10 years old now, it still is a great system for a home theater. movies can be played in progressive mode so your movies will look better.
Last edited by altecgodofchaos on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

Viscosity
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Post by Viscosity »

LCDs are not good for fast-moving pictures. When an object moves quickly across the screen, the image "delays" (there are trails of pixilation or blockingess), because the screen can't keep up.
Most of that is fixed on TV's with more than 60hz. It is just the refresh rate that makes motion blur.

Plus you get motion lag when you play on an HD tv. Most games on the PS2 don't support progressive scan (unlike the dreamcast, gamecube. or xbox). A few games support 1080i but there are less than five games that support that in a library that is around 10,000.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

movies can be played in progessive mode so your movies will be in HD.
To be played in progressive scan movies you need a compnant cable. They only play at 480p (SD). It won't up-convert either. If the movie is full screen then it gets stretched on and HDTV. You can't watch DVD's in HD on the PS2.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

there are quite alot of games that support 480p look it up on wikipedia, ps2 games with HD support
480p is SD not HD. HD is either 720 (i or p) or 1080 (i or p).

altecgodofchaos

this thread has been edited so it is more clear on what the ps2 supports. all errors have been corrected
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

noonotthat
site admin
Xlink Kai username: noonotthat

Post by noonotthat »

Favrenation wrote:
movies can be played in progessive mode so your movies will be in HD.
To be played in progressive scan movies you need a compnant cable. They only play at 480p (SD). It won't up-convert either. If the movie is full screen then it gets stretched on and HDTV. You can't watch DVD's in HD on the PS2.

DVD's aren't an hd format, therefor you are never watching a dvd "in hd." You can watch it on an hd tv that is upscaling the image.
No lube for me!

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I know. I never said it would be HD. It would just stretch it on an HDTV.