Ps2 games at gamestop disapearing!

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Ps2 games at gamestop disapearing!

Post by IRON_PIMP »

I stopped in the local GS in my area and found at one store, NO PS2 games.
I asked the clerk if GS was no longer selling them, she said no, but that store did stop and soon others would follow (no date specified)
While looking for used hardware and a game, I stopped at yet another GS and found MOST of the PS2 games were in yellow disc packages instead of the PS2/GS box.

But, I did Find that MLB 2011 has been released for the PS2, there are only a couple more new games for PS2, then I think it's done.

Also, the makers of Guitar Hero/Rock Band are dci'ing the game for now due to lack of interest from it's gamers.

Anyone else seeing this at their GS Stores?

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Re: Ps2 games at gamestop disapearing!

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

I heard Activision stopped making guitar hero and tony hawk. I dont know how they can stop tony hawk because they have a contract with him until 2015 (im hoping they release thug3 or thps5! :-D lol). I havent been into guitar hero since gh3 so i dont really mind it going. As for the ps2 games at gs, I had no idea they were stopping. I rarely go there to get ps2 games but that is still bad. I think they are done making ps2 games for good now :(. I know walmart still sells a little ps2.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I haven't been in a gamestop for a few months, but over this last 6 months out of the few times I went in one I already noticed them scaling back their ps2 stock. Out of the 2 stores I visited, the ps2 sections both really shrank.

Scoopers
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

Was in ours less then an hour ago to get Medal Gear solid 4. I seen that the yellow envelopes also and no boxes for them. Also I tried to trade in 3 PS2 games and they couldn't buy them. He said they are no longer buying PS2 games??
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

I have not been in a GameStop since November of last year, but I've noticed a stagnation in their PS2 stock since the spring of 2010. A few of my friends visited within the first part of the year, and said most of the stock was now just in sleeves near the register. I'd probably have a heart attack if I found a bunch of cases in the dumpster outside GS.

I think GameStop is making a mistake in liquidating their PS2 stock at this point. The system is still being sold brand new at many retailers. The last time I was at a GS, I saw a few people peruse the PS2 bins and one guy actually bought a game for his son. I've also seen a lot of interest in PS2 at Goodwill and the pawn shops I frequent in the area.

I also dislike their pricing policies regarding incomplete games. If the game is missing the manual and/or case, you don't charge the same price as a complete copy. That's like charging the same price for a car without A/C and a car with A/C. However, I have noticed that prices for disc-only games are usually around $1-2, which is reasonable in my book.

If this is truly the end, then I have even less of a reason to shop at GameStop. The store alienates me with their pricing policies, lack of standards regarding trade-ins, and smarmy used car salesmen tactics the employees use to push discount cards, magazine subscriptions, pre-orders and Cheeto encrusted accessories down your throat.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

21SkAt3r21

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

So they are getting rid of ps2...But keeping gamecube? Hmmmmm...Something isn't right here..... :? :?
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Mytho wrote:...I also dislike their pricing policies regarding incomplete games. If the game is missing the manual and/or case, you don't charge the same price as a complete copy. That's like charging the same price for a car without A/C and a car with A/C. However, I have noticed that prices for disc-only games are usually around $1-2, which is reasonable in my book.

If this is truly the end, then I have even less of a reason to shop at GameStop. The store alienates me with their pricing policies, lack of standards regarding trade-ins, and smarmy used car salesmen tactics the employees use to push discount cards, magazine subscriptions, pre-orders and Cheeto encrusted accessories down your throat.
:ugeek: Quoted for truth my friend lol.

21SkAt3r21

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

I don't know where you guys live but, Where I live we have a place called Vintage Stock. They have new and used games. They have NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Sega DreamCast, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, Sega GameGear, and Sometimes, Although very rare, an Atari. Their prices are reasonable and are ALWAYS cheaper than gamestop. I never go to gamestop anymore (only for ps3). They have a very good selection.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Post by IRON_PIMP »

Well guys, look at it like this, the pricing may seem high, but how high was it when new? Not to mention, it IS a business, also, where else can you take it back if you don't like/don't want it without a reason.

For the cost of MOST of the PS2 games, I find GS pricing very reasonable as opposed to a few other places in my area where I found a copy of Socom CA for 35.00, GS had it for 9.99 and I got it for 5.00, all original never played! (local flea market) {several years ago}

Last game for PS2 I purchsed from GS was SWBF 1 and 2, got them on a B2GOF deal-the free one was NHRA (SUCKS) I gave it away.

With the way gaming is changing, I don't think GS will be aroung much longer anyway, Just my opinion.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

Actually, I take back what I said about the prices of their disc-only games. I went into a GameStop today, and found the bins of disc-only PS2 games. These games are the SAME price for just the disc as they were for the case and manual. What a rip off. :x
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!