Ps2 games at gamestop disapearing!

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Re: Ps2 games at gamestop disapearing!

Post by NoLimits »

I've been noticing my local gamestop's ps2 collections have been slowly getting smaller and smaller too. I don't think I remember any Gamecube games there...but PS2 only has a small rack like the Gamecube had before it. Just last year I think, PS2 had its own wall that was bigger than the PS3 section (maybe 2 years ago). But that has quickly changed and they'll probably be gone in the next year at this rate.

hobojoe44
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai username: [STFU]*hobojoe44

Post by hobojoe44 »

“Ps2 games at gamestop disappearing!”

I think it’s about the same now for all last generation games.
I went to a EB Tuesday, Stickers showed price changes the day before, a few games I was looking at last time that I was there had significant price drops
Spy vs. Spy $10 down to $1
Godzilla save the Earth $15 down to $3

With most last generation game being around $3- $5 I try to pick up as many decent games as possible.

On a forum with a big number of members there would have been some jack ass defending the store’s business practices and policies by the 5th post of the thread.

Rambling rant coming up

New games opened and sold as “New” after being manhandled and scratched up. I’ve bought a new copy of a game from there (only copy there new or used) and it was scratched up. A year or so later I bought another copy of that game used for $5 and it was in better shape then that “new” copy I bought more then a year before.

In any other store, with any product if it’s opened it’s used but not in the magical land of EB & GS.

Moronic pricing

As in a previous post some one mentioned incomplete games costing the same as complete ones. Hell I’ve seen multiple used copies of the same game next to each other on the same shelf with different prices.

There is one store near me that takes moronic pricing one step further, a store that for some reason isn’t on their site map when you search for locations.

Examples of stupidity I took advantage of.

Flatout: price sticker showed the price wasn’t updated for 2 years, but for some reason the “new” copy was $5 and the used copy was $15

Toca race driver 2/Colin Mcrae 2004 (2 pack) used $2, Toca 2 used on its own $5

Moronic policies

Not excepting government issued photo ID when they card you, when in fact it is government issued photo ID.

You can use a provincial photo health card (on it: photo, D.O.B., & signature) to buy booze/smokes/get into bars/vote, but not when buying games at EB/GS
I can understand if you were selling stuff to them so they know your address incase it was stolen but when you’re buying things from them, that’s just BS.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

hobojoe44 wrote:New games opened and sold as “New” after being manhandled and scratched up. I’ve bought a new copy of a game from there (only copy there new or used) and it was scratched up. A year or so later I bought another copy of that game used for $5 and it was in better shape then that “new” copy I bought more then a year before.

In any other store, with any product if it’s opened it’s used but not in the magical land of EB & GS.

Moronic pricing

As in a previous post some one mentioned incomplete games costing the same as complete ones. Hell I’ve seen multiple used copies of the same game next to each other on the same shelf with different prices.

There is one store near me that takes moronic pricing one step further, a store that for some reason isn’t on their site map when you search for locations.

Examples of stupidity I took advantage of.

Flatout: price sticker showed the price wasn’t updated for 2 years, but for some reason the “new” copy was $5 and the used copy was $15

Toca race driver 2/Colin Mcrae 2004 (2 pack) used $2, Toca 2 used on its own $5.
Tell me about it. I've seen "new" games sitting on the PS2 shelf at the GS near me since I've lived in the area. A "new" copy of Demolition Derby Arenas is $39.99, whereas a used one is probably around $5, even though both are opened copies. Most of these games have been on the shelf for so long that the labels have begun to wear away. Gradius V is also supposedly "new", but the case lost a chunk of plastic and has some wear and tear. Why charge the same amount for a new, shrink wrapped copy as a beaten, abused "new" copy?

Going back to my car analogy, dealerships often charge less for the floor/test drive models due to the minor wear and tear they experience. Nearly every store also holds this policy, such as Best Buy charging less for monitors on the floor. So why can't GameStop give discounts to games that are supposed to be "new", but have visual defects? :?

I have also found games in like-new shape that have been stripped of the shrink wrap and tossed into the used bin. GameStop often did this for reprinted copies of Rez, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and other GameQuestDirect reprints. This allowed GS to charge however much they wanted for these "rare" copies, and not be accused of price gouging by charging $50 for a $30 reprint. So by GameStop's own admission, sealed copies are new, whereas unsealed copies are used. So why are they charging new prices for games that have been opened, played by the employees and have suffered minor wear and tear?

This can, however, work in your favor when GS unloads sealed stock that has been sitting in the back for ages. I was able to find a "new" copy of Naval Ops: Commander that had been thrown in the used bin for $5 last spring.

Regardless, their policies on used goods are asinine. I would encourage people to check their local pawn shops, thrift stores or flea markets before setting foot in a GameStop. You can often find good quality games for cheap at thrift stores who lump PS2 games in with DVDs or other media. The only time I'll be going into GameStop for used PS2 games is if they have a big blow-out and are getting rid of disc games for $1-2 and boxed games for $5.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

My gamestop still has 4 full shelves of ps2 and 1 of them is unopened new ps2 games.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

hobojoe44
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai username: [STFU]*hobojoe44

Post by hobojoe44 »

After going to 3 EB games yesterday looking for Original Xbox games Here are more complaints I have

"New" games never having their price lowered. I first place I went too, about 70% of their stock was "New" meaning everything was $10-$20 making it pointless to get anything when I can get them for $5-$7 shipped from Ebay.

I've been looking for Powerdrome each place had them (with a clearance sticker on the case) all "new $20. One place like most I've seen haven't had their "new" sticker prices updated since mid 09 but one place had some update from last month.

Case-less games not on the self, but in the back room: You know usually they are in a movie rental case or a clear one with just a price sticker with the name of it. Well I found a copy of one game for $10 "new" that I've been looking for. When the guy is ringing what I bought up at the till he says "We have a used copy for $1" I say I didn't see it on the shelf" (I make sure too look at very case-less game). So he goes in the back and gets it for me.

Another thing I hate is how their website check store stock option is shit. I recall checking to see in something was at a nearby store (a few hours before going) and when I got their they said they didn't have it or have it for months.

It's pretty sad that a store that specializes in just gaming has the most sub par system for checking in store stock.

There is a used Music store here in called The Beat Goes which sells DVDs and Games besides Music. And there website is actually up to date on stock, if it's not at a nearby store you can buy it and get them to ship it to the nearest one for pickup like most chain stores do. They even have a computer at each store to check stock like many bookstores have.

If they don't have something in stock but in their system you can just add it to your wish list and they will E-mail you weekly with updates.

mlove72
Level 1: Deer Hunter

Post by mlove72 »

21SkAt3r21 wrote:So they are getting rid of ps2...But keeping gamecube? Hmmmmm...Something isn't right here..... :? :?

LOL

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

At my gamestop if you are looking for a specific PS2 game you cant because its so unorganized. they only have 2 rows of gamecube games at mine and at the bottom Ive seen a row of ps2 games

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

Every game stop I have been to has had at least 3 ps2 racks, 2 gamecube racks, and 2 psp racks. The rest of the consoles have their own wall. Everytime I go in for a ps2 game they have it in fairly nice condition. They only have like 8 new games an they are very cheap.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

One of the Gamestops near me is just pitiful now. I literally couldn't find the PS2 games. I looked around in the small place too, checking every rack, etc. I saw now PS2 games...although for some reason they had some Gamecube games still there. Where the hell are the PS2 games???

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

The one closest to me still has a few sections for ps2 and ps2 accessories. They have like a few hundred of them in paper sleeves at the checkout counter in bins. They even have like 30 with cases not counting duplicates.