Fat or slim

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
whereswaldo247
Level 2: My Street Resident

Fat or slim

Post by whereswaldo247 »

Hi I am wondering which is better slim or fat ps2s cause I have a slim ps2 (white sing star edition if that matters) but I am willing to trade it in for a fat ps2 if theyre better if you know which is better I would like to know some reasons to determine if it's worth it thanks
(gmt-7)
THUG and THAW are my only online games at the moment

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Re: Fat or slim

Post by wawowe »

Wow, that's a cool version of the ps2 :). I wouldn't trade it if it were mine, it's got a good laser in it so it'll last for a while.
As far as which one's better it's a matter of preference mostly. There are about 20 different versions of the ps2 and they all have their advantages. The earlier fat ones are more compatible with the games available, homebrew, ps1 games etc. But most of them have really bad laser life. The 50000 series(v9/10) fat ps2 was the first one to have built-in IR and a nice quiet fan but it has a pretty serious laser problem. Personally I like the v5 and v7/8 fat ps2s. v5 is best for homebrew and v7/8 has the longest life. and as far as slims, favorites are v13, if i had a laser fix and hdcombo, v15 which was the last one before they switched everything around inside, or v16 (yours)
Unless you want to run all your games from a hard drive there aren't too many good reasons to switch to the fat one. Or if you intend to maximize the ps2's potential, (play everything ever that it can play), in that case get a v5 fat and put a big hard drive in it. it's the 30001R or 35000R(came with gt3).
Otherwise that badass white ps2 it perfect. imo. Yours is great because it runs the coldest, it's lightweight by comparison to every other version, it's got a really good laser, it's memory card exploitable for homebrew(also as far as that's concerned it can run the psxlaunchelf which versions earlier than 9 can't. will allow you to play psx backups without a modchip). it's got a built-in flip top. built-in network adapter, IR etc. really good version

Edit: I have a v8 with a hdd and a weak laser fyi. Not so much out of choice, I just happened to get lucky getting that version. When i went to gamestop to sell all my ps3 games,(dead ps3), for a ps2 and a network adapter that's the one they gave me. "gamestop refurbished" when i got it home it wouldn't even power on when you hit the buttons, haha. I had to take it apart and fix it. (I would have just taken it back and exchanged it, but it's a 3hr walk one-way for me to get to gamestop) :P

whereswaldo247

Post by whereswaldo247 »

is SCPH-79001 v16?
(gmt-7)

wawowe
site admin

Post by wawowe »

whereswaldo247 wrote:is SCPH-79001 v16?
yes ;)

whereswaldo247

Post by whereswaldo247 »

ok thanks
(gmt-7)

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

Then what is SCPH-90001?

wawowe
site admin

Post by wawowe »

Awesom3B wrote:Then what is SCPH-90001?
v17

then there's v18, around the 9000* you have to check the datecode on the bottom e.g. 8a,8b,8c etc.

the later 8cs have bios version 2.30 which removes the exploitable that the fmcb-softmod uses. otherwise not much difference

edit: also a cool version (internal power supply :D), the only reason i wouldn't prefer it over the v16 is that i use a softmod. and it's risky, if you're buying one and hoping for an exploitable version. it's about preference though

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

My ps1 has a modchip in it. which is 1 of the reasons i got a ps2. I couldn't play some of the best games.

1PlayerD

Post by 1PlayerD »

Awesom3B wrote:My ps1 has a modchip in it. which is 1 of the reasons i got a ps2. I couldn't play some of the best games.
Not to change the discussion, but quick question, why do so many people mod their consoles? To me it seems pointless and ruins the console. :s

thebadassdude
Gone for 25 to Life...
Gone for 25 to Life...

Post by thebadassdude »

becuase there retards?
(gmt-7)
God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under a loaded gun
And it cant be out fought,it cant be out done
it cant be out match.it cant be out run.NO!