Fat or slim

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Re: Fat or slim

Post by wawowe »

1PlayerD wrote: Not to change the discussion, but quick question, why do so many people mod their consoles? To me it seems pointless and ruins the console. :s
There are many reasons someone might want to do it. The main reasons i have a mod are to play ps2 games from the internal hdd and use virtual memory cards. since i only have one physical card.
Not sure what you mean about ruining the console though. It still powers up and everything

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

thebadassdude wrote:becuase there retards?
I didnt mod it. I bought it at goodwill and the previous owner modded it foo.

Viscosity
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Post by Viscosity »

Not to change the discussion, but quick question, why do so many people mod their consoles? To me it seems pointless and ruins the console. :s
Well there two types of modding.

Hard-mods: This would be soldering a modchip to the ps2 to play backups games. For the most part its simpler than soft-modding. It ruins the "virginity" of the ps2 for collectors they most likely want one that isn't opened.

Soft-mod: Uses a software exploit to do the same thing a hard mod does. Usually doesn't require opening up the system. Can be removed from the system so manufacturer would never be able to tell that you modded it. Usually requires certain games or peripherals that can cost a lot of money or you might have to open the ps2 to block sensors. If you know someone with a modded card then you can just ask them to install the exploit for you. The hard part is usually running unsigned code.

Both method enable you to play games off the hard drive/usb drive/firewire/ or stream over a network thus saving your laser from its inevitable death.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Just wanted to remind everyone that there is a stickied thread about ps2 modding here:

http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/vi ... f=13&t=332

One of the site rules on the very small list of rules (you can read them here) is to not talk about pirating games here. The thread is ok so far, but just wanted to remind people about this in case things were about to head in that direction.