What are some good racing games for PS2?

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
Viscosity
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Re: What are some good racing games for PS2?

Post by Viscosity »

Do u level up online cuz this seems like a fun game to try out. Although Deer Hunter is quite hard to beat. :lol:

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

lazyhoboguy wrote:
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Ok... I am very interested in this now lol.
Hey..that does look quite fun...

Scoopers
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

You can level up offline. I have never had the chance to play it online but 2 times. I played it offline to get my level.
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I started playing ATV Offroad Fury 4 and I am surprisingly enjoying it quite a bit. Thank you people who suggested it.

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

lazyhoboguy wrote:I started playing ATV Offroad Fury 4 and I am surprisingly enjoying it quite a bit. Thank you people who suggested it.
hopefully the game has more lasting appeal to you than it did for me ;)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

NoLimits wrote:
lazyhoboguy wrote:I started playing ATV Offroad Fury 4 and I am surprisingly enjoying it quite a bit. Thank you people who suggested it.
hopefully the game has more lasting appeal to you than it did for me ;)
Hmm you seem to be right about this game not having too much lasting appeal, at least for singleplayer. It is a great game and I had a lot of fun with the singleplayer for awhile, but the A.I. of the other racers is just too crappy. I don't find them challenging at all and beat them too easily. Unless you crash a ton of times its really hard to lose to them.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I didn't even know it had singleplayer lol. I always play the games with my friends my friends thats why I think its fun. Some games are just made for multiplayer although you may disagree.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

So I recently played Extreme G on the Nintendo 64. It is a futuristic racing game which gives you powerups to use. The game even has a deathrace mode that plays almost identically to how the one in Jak X: Combat Racing does on PS2. I love death race modes hehe. As good as this game is on N64, the frame rate is really bad. Luckily there are 2 Extreme G games released on PS2. They are EGIII: Extreme G Racing and XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association. From what I have read they have steady frame rates and that makes me happy. Sounds like the first one I mentioned got the better reviews. I intend to track that one down eventually.

Has anyone played any of the Extreme G games on ps2? Or do you know of any other futuristic racers like this? I especially like ones with powerups/weapons.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

lazyhoboguy wrote:Has anyone played any of the Extreme G games on ps2? Or do you know of any other futuristic racers like this? I especially like ones with powerups/weapons.
I know we've talked about this before, but others may be interested in these games as well.

The PS2 Extreme-G games (EG 3 and XGRA) are both worth checking out if you liked the N64 titles. Both of the games run pretty steadily, though XGRA has a fair amount of frame rate issues on the PS2.

In terms of what game is better, that is difficult to answer. Both games have distinctly different feels to them. The reason why the reviews on EG 3 are higher is because the market for futuristic racers back in the early days of the PS2 was barren. There was simply more competition for futuristic racing by the time XGRA hit.

EG 3 feels like the N64 games on steroids. The campaign mode is fairly nondescript, and the environments are much more fleshed out. Some of the tracks include one set in a Blade Runner esque city, a track suspended above the ocean that leads into the water and others. The art style is clean, so to speak, which puts it in line with the N64 EG games. No grungy, dark skies or ruined wastelands in EG 3. EG 3 also runs a bit better since the visuals are more conservative compared to XGRA.

XGRA feels like a reinvention of the franchise. The game got a large injection of personality that, like it or not, makes the game feel less sterile. Racers will be yelling at each other during the race while your mechanic gives you feedback on your performance. Races now take place on different planets throughout the solar system, which introduces new visual elements and themes not present in EG 3. Some of the levels even have portions where you are racing on the surface of the planet, free of any confining walls or oxygen, for that matter. The sound goes completely out until you re-enter a contained portion of the track. The art style also leans toward more bleak, dirty landscapes compared to EG 3's clean-cut style.

As for other differences between the two Extreme G games, EG 3 is more focused on customization of the bikes. You have to purchase weapons instead of running over the pads in XGRA. The weapon system is also different in XGRA than other racers: Instead of picking a specific weapon power-up or getting a random weapon, you have to keep hitting pads to get more powerful weapons. This makes the game more skill focused, but at the expense of losing some unpredictability.

I would recommend that you play EG 3 before XGRA. EG 3 is the pinnacle of the designs that shaped the N64 era EG games. The transition from EG 3 to XGRA will have more meaning to it rather than the other way around.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Wow that was a lot of info lol. Thanks that is helpful quite a bit.