What are some good racing games for PS2?

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
whereswaldo247
Level 2: My Street Resident

Re: What are some good racing games for PS2?

Post by whereswaldo247 »

I don't know if your looking for a online racing game but if you want an offline game need for speed most wanted is amazing it's street racing and easy to drive every car except the lamborginis can be a bit difficult to steer at times sadly it doesn't have online and never has I don't think there's a LAN mode eather but there is splitscreen hope this helps
(gmt-7)
THUG and THAW are my only online games at the moment

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Yea I've been meaning to try some of the ps2 need for speed games out. I remember playing one a long time ago called hot pursuit or something which was very fun.

hobojoe44
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai username: [STFU]*hobojoe44

Post by hobojoe44 »

Toca Race driver 3 is good if you want a lot of variety,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOCA_Race_Driver_3
It has monster trucks, go-karts and you can even race lawnmowers :D

It even has bots in Lan mode to help fill out games when you don't have a lot of players.

We have almost weekly games of 8-10 players on XLink with the XBox version.

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

The only racing games i can suggest are the ATV Offroad Fury games, Crash: Nitro Kart, and MX vs ATV: Unleashed. I use to have others but have sold them over the years. ATV Offroad Fury is just an ATV game where you race and knock people off the track and do tricks. I have ATV Offroad Fury 1 and 2 but 1 doesnt have LAN or Online (2 does). The servers are down. Crash Nitro Kart is more of that arcade, Mario Kart style game but sadly doesnt have LAN or Online Play. It is almost identical to Jak-X Combat Racing or Mario Kart except has its own weapons, tracks, and uses the Crash Bandicoot characters. MX vs ATV: Unleashed is my favorite. It is like ATV Offroad Fury except it has more tracks, vehicles, and custimizaton options. It has Dirtbikes (MX), ATVs, Trophy Trucks, Sand Rails, Dune Buggies, Golf Karts, and even Planes and Helicopters. There is no LAN option but the servers are still up and allow up to 6 racers to race any vehicle on any track. The community on it is dead though. There is 1-2 people on every 2-3 months and it is lonely. :D :D :D (Sorry for writing a novel :P )
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Downhill Domination needs to be added to this list. I just got it recently and I am really enjoying it. It is a game made by the same developer as Twisted Metal Black. The game has you riding your bike downhill through really crazy open levels that have ridiculous amounts of different paths to take. The game is really arcadey and you can do tricks to earn boosts, there are lots of power-ups, and everything is generally just really over the top. You can attack other racers too and knock them off their bikes haha. If this game had an online mode or a LAN mode it would have been amazing.

Teh2dgamer uploaded some footage of this game if you want to see how it plays. He labeled it as a "PS2 Underated Gem" and I would agree with that label:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

I'd recommend Bode Miller Alpine Skiing, as another underrated racing game. There may be no opponents on the course when you are racing down it, but its very fast paced (like the game lazy mentioned about) and you still have to beat the other skier's times. It was quite the surprising game. Unfortunately there's only one video on youtube about it, and it barely shows any gameplay at all...maybe I'll get around to putting some up sometime.