Celebrate the PS2's 10th birthday!

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Celebrate the PS2's 10th birthday!

Post by Mytho »

I had a cool idea last night during my drive back up to school. This idea might require you to go out and grab a game if you don't qualify, but if you're like me, you're always looking for an excuse to buy a new game. :)

In honor of the PlayStation 2's tenth birthday, I'd like to go back and revisit the launch titles that graced the black monolith back on October 26, 2000. Here is a list of launch titles for the system: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/080/080661p1.html

I'd like everyone that wants to participate to play a launch title and post what you think of it now, and what you either thought of it 10 years ago or what you would have thought about it 10 years ago.

I would also like to hear any stories of what you thought of the PS2 back then. Were you going crazy over the hype? Didn't care? Playing your Dreamcast, just like I was? Tell us about it. Personal anecdotes are always fun to read and look back on.

I personally am hoping to buy Gungriffon Blaze in celebration of the PS2. I might also buy some other games, like Tekken Tag Tournament or Ridge Racer V.

I hope that many of you will join me in celebrating one of the most prolific and popular video game consoles of all time! :D

P.S.: Please make your posts on October 26th, 2010. I only posted this so people would have more than enough time to track a launch title down if they didn't have one.
Last edited by Mytho on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Celebrate the PS2's 10th birthday!

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Dangit, you are going to make me have to play even more games :D !

I own smugglers run and have not played it yet. I might try that now then.

Kessen and Timesplitters 1 have been on my wish list for quite awhile too. Fantavision is a puzzle game that I am mildly interested in as well. It seems most people don't think it is too amazing, but I like puzzle games a lot so I wish to try it myself down the road.

I used to own Silent Scope and had no idea that it was a launch title. That game is horrible though because of the controls. It needs a light gun but has no light gun support.

I had never looked at a list of the Playstation 2's launch games before, so this is pretty interesting to think about now. It launched with a lot of different type of titles it looks like.

During the actual time this console launched I don't remember knowing too much about it. I mean once I started seeing my friends playing it in person I was really excited for it, but other than that I was kind of oblivious to all the hype. I believe in 2000 I had just got my very first home console which was a Nintendo 64, so I was quite engrossed in that console at the time. Once I started seeing what the PS2 could do though I started to really want one. I ended up convincing my parents to get me one in Christmas of 2001. That was a long year to wait to get it haha. Once I did aquire one my console came with
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and I really had a blast playing that game. At the time the graphics absolutely blew me away. I think one of my next games was Grand Theft Auto 3. I remember seeing a neighbor play that and I and it seemed ridiculously awesome to me.

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

I should have prefaced this by saying that I want people to post about this in October rather than now. It looks like you made a good post though lazy. I posted it now so people would have more than enough time to get a launch title game(s).
(gmt-5)

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

Sweet I already own one of them that I can talk about

..when the time comes :P

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Thread temporarily locked until 10/26/2010

Mytho asked me to lock this thread until October 26th, 2010. So lets wait until the tenth anniversy before we jump the gun any more on this discussion.

Track down some PS2 launch games in the list mytho provided in the mean time and once its October 26th, 2010 feel free to share your impressions of this noteworthy event in console gaming.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Unlocking this topic now as the anniversary of the PS2 launch is approaching soon. So wanted to remind people to try to play a launch ps2 game in the few weeks before its anniversary.

Please Wait until October 26, 2010
To post your impressions about the game.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Well its that day. Today October 26, 2010 marks the 10 year anniversary of the launch of the playstation 2. It is pretty amazing to me that ten years after launch the ps2 is still such a great system even in comparison to the current generation consoles. The library of the playstation 2 is massive and I don't see myself running out of good new games to find for it in the near future.

For example, here is my wishlist for the PS2

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ape Escape 2
Ape Escape 3
Area 51
Army Men: RTS
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Black
BloodRayne
BloodRayne 2
Burnout Revenge
Cabela's Outdoor Adventures 2006
Castle Shikigami 2 (Shikigami no Shiro II)
Champions: Return to Arms Review
Colosseum: Road to Freedom
Crash Tag Team Racing (lan mode)
Crimson Sea 2.
Darkwatch
Devil Kings
Disaster Report
Dropship: United Peace Force
Dropship: United Peace Force Review
Extermination
Fantavision
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
Fireblade
Full Spectrum Warrior
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
Ghosthunter
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Gitaroo Man
Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance
God Hand
Gradius III & IV
Gradius V
Gradius V
GrimGrimoire
Gungrave: Overdose
Heroes of the Pacific (LAN MODE)
Indigo Prophecy
I-Ninja
Kessen
Kessen 2
Kessen 3
Kickle Cubicle
Kill.switch
King's Field: The Ancient City
Kya: Dark Lineage
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Maximo vs. Army of Zin
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Metal Slug Anthology
MetropolisMania
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Mobile Lightforce 2 (Shikigami no Shiro)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Nightshade
Okami
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Onimusha: Warlords
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Pinball Hall of Fame
Pipe Mania
Primal
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Psychonauts
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords Review
Raiden III
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet: Deadlocked
Raw Danger!
Ring of Red
RLH: Run Like Hell
RoadKill
Road Trip
Rumble Racing
R-Type FinalSecond Sight
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Sega Genesis Collection
Shadow of Rome
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silpheed: The Lost Planet
Sky Odyssey
Smuggler's Run 2
SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1
Snoopy vs. the Red Baron
Speed Kings
Spartan: Total Warrior
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Star Wars Starfighter
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
SWAT: Global Strike Team
The Bouncer
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
The Mark of Kri
The Punisher (2005)
The Red Star
The Suffering
The Suffering: Ties That Bind
The Thing
The Warriors
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
Way of the Samurai
We Love Katamari
Worms 3D
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW (online)
XGIII: Extreme G Racing
Yakuza
Yakuza 2

And those are only games I know about :D

In honor of this anniversary I played my copy of Smuggler's Run that had been sitting under my Television for probably a year.

I have played this game for probably 3 or 4 hours and overall I find the game to be a game that contains small sprinkles of fun on top of a mass of frustration. In the game you are a smuggler who smuggles things that need smuggling. I just explained the story of the game about as good as the game does lol. Before each mission you get a 5 or 6 sentence mission brief that makes absolutely no sense and is read to you with horrible cheesy voice acting.

That is just a minor annoyance, the real thing that annoyed me about this game is the gameplay. The game has extremely simple gameplay. Most of the missions have you driving around in circles through a extremely hilly landscape hitting checkpoints around the map. While you are doing this you are pursued by swarms of cop cars who are faster than you. You can fail the mission either by the time running out before you hit all the checkpoints, or by sustaining too much damage. Your damage meter very slowly recharges, but usually if you make one bad jump or slow down for a second a swarm of cops will ram your car until it dies a painful vehicular death. Very often when playing a 5 minute mission you will make one mistake and be destroyed by the police cars moments before completing the level. So, my experience with this game has been about 30 percent fun and 70 percent frustration.

Another thing that annoys me about this game is that it relies on extreme trial and error gameplay. After the first 3 or 4 missions the time limit for the missions shows no mercy. Most levels require many replays just so that you can memorize the fastest routes between each checkpoint. You have a mini map you can summon up on your screen while driving, but it is zoomed in way too far so you often cannot even see the checkpoint on it until you drive very close to it. This means you have to rely on the not too accurate giant on-screen arrow that points you in the general direction of the checkpoint until you are so close to the checkpoint that using the minimap is not even useful at that point.

All my bitchings aside, for a launch game it does do some cool things. The first level you drive around in is a massive level that lets you see far into the distance. I noticed no popup and the game runs smoothly framerate-wise from what I can tell. It can be relaxing just roaming around the environment and jumping off hills and driving through rivers while you listen to the techno infused soundtrack. There is a free roam mode where you can do this very thing and for my sanity I often had to take a break from the missions in this mode haha.

Also, a minor thing in this game that made me laugh is that you can run over pedestrians, deer, and dogs. The game has some hilarious over the top ragdoll physics when you hit them and they launch into the distance if you hit them at a high speed. I cannot help but think this system was the basis for later open world rockstar games like grand theft auto.

Another small thing I like about this game is that is supports playstation 1 dualshock controllers. That means you don't have to deal with jamming down a squishy analog face button in order to accelerate.

As expected the game has launch game length load times and that did not bother me that much. The game made my slim ps2 roar while playing it too. It is a blue backed (cd) disc and it just spun like a maniac constantly while I played haha. Most blue backed ps2 games I have played do that while loading, but settle down once a level starts.

So back in the day, if I had played this game it wouldn't have convinced me to rush out to buy a Playstation 2. Some of the other launch ps2 games like Timesplitters (its multiplayer) may have though if I had known about them at the time.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/ ... station-2/

Sony's President and CEO made a blog post about the 10 year anniversary of the Playstation 2.

Nice to see Sony acknowledge the PS2, but its a bit annoying at how they have to try to market PS3 and Playstation Move in the post haha.

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

lazyhoboguy wrote:Nice to see Sony acknowledge the PS2, but its a bit annoying at how they have to try to market PS3 and Playstation Move in the post haha.
Eh, that's marketing for you. It's a little too much to expect them to put their current bread-and-butter aside for a loving tribute to the PS2.

It is, however, cool to see them acknowledge what will likely go down as the apex of their efforts in the gaming industry. There is seriously little out there that can beat the variety and quantity of gaming on the PS2, PS3 included.

As for my account of the PS2's launch, it completely ballooned and became this monster of an essay. I don't know if I can finish it up before the weekend, but you can certainly expect some commentary on Ridge Racer V at the end of this week.

Also, just off the top of my head, I'd like to keep this topic open for at least one week, possibly two. I want to give everyone a chance to participate and strike some conversation up.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Mytho wrote:As for my account of the PS2's launch, it completely ballooned and became this monster of an essay. I don't know if I can finish it up before the weekend, but you can certainly expect some commentary on Ridge Racer V at the end of this week.
Liar! lol. I do look forward to reading your writeup when it finally is posted though haha.