A Few Questions (PS2)

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
Rapth
Level 15: Partial Spectrum Warrior: Ten Wrenches
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

A Few Questions (PS2)

Post by Rapth »

Sorry, if this is not the place to place this topic, but I have asked on several other websites, and no one has answered my, simple question.

I just simply had a few questions about the PS2 Slim console. Hopefully they can be answered here. :P

1. Recently the power went out at my house. I was in my room, playing my PS2, and my dad was in the other room using his PS3.... The power did not fully go out, it only powered off the PS2, PS3, and the TV I was using. :P It went out for only a second, and came back on, everything seemed normal. The red light on the PS2 came on, same with the PS3. Now I was simply wondering, could the power suddenly going out, powering off the systems, cause any damage at all? Neither system was writing, or loading data. (Keep in mind I am mostly concerned with the PS2 system, and not the PS3. PS2 is used way more often.)

2. Also, I was wondering, if it were good or bad to turn the PS2 on, and off several times throughout a day. Not necessarily in a row. For example, I played my PS2 for three hours, turned it off, than a few hours later I decided I wanted to play again. Played another hour, a storm rolled in. Turned it off in case of a power outage, didn't want my system powered off a second time in a row. Anyways, was simply wondering if it mattered how frequently I turned the system on and off.

3. I have a Maxell cd cleaning disk... I was just wondering if I would be able to use this in my PS2. The disk its self is a CD, with bristles on it to clean the lazer eye. Was wondering since the PS2 uses DVD'S, was wondering if this would work.

Thanks in advance for all answers, they are much appreciated. If you need a clearer explanation on any question, please ask, and I will do my best to clear it up... Thanks again. :P

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, its frustrating not getting this question answered. :P
(gmt-7)

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Re: A Few Questions (PS2)

Post by Mytho »

Rapth wrote:I just simply had a few questions about the PS2 Slim console. Hopefully they can be answered here. :P
Let's see what we have here...
Rapth wrote: 1. Recently the power went out at my house. I was in my room, playing my PS2, and my dad was in the other room using his PS3.... The power did not fully go out, it only powered off the PS2, PS3, and the TV I was using. :P It went out for only a second, and came back on, everything seemed normal. The red light on the PS2 came on, same with the PS3. Now I was simply wondering, could the power suddenly going out, powering off the systems, cause any damage at all? Neither system was writing, or loading data. (Keep in mind I am mostly concerned with the PS2 system, and not the PS3. PS2 is used way more often.)
It could potentially cause damage, yes. You might experience a power surge and fry the internal of your consoles. I've seen TVs, computer components and more die from power surges. Between the two consoles, the PS3 has the greater potential for damage due to the hard drive. You should have all your electronics plugged in to a surge protector to prevent any future damage.
Rapth wrote: 2. Also, I was wondering, if it were good or bad to turn the PS2 on, and off several times throughout a day. Not necessarily in a row. For example, I played my PS2 for three hours, turned it off, than a few hours later I decided I wanted to play again. Played another hour, a storm rolled in. Turned it off in case of a power outage, didn't want my system powered off a second time in a row. Anyways, was simply wondering if it mattered how frequently I turned the system on and off.
I don't see a problem with this. The console is designed to be powered off at a moment's notice. If you were constantly power cycling it (turn it on, then turn it off quickly), then that might harm the console. From what you're saying, it seems like you are simply playing it multiple times a day for various durations. There is no harm in this, and is preferable to leaving the system idling on, consuming electricity and generating heat.
Rapth wrote: 3. I have a Maxell cd cleaning disk... I was just wondering if I would be able to use this in my PS2. The disk its self is a CD, with bristles on it to clean the lazer eye. Was wondering since the PS2 uses DVD'S, was wondering if this would work.

I don't have much experience with these CDs. I usually clean the laser with a Q-tip lightly doused with rubbing alcohol. You shouldn't be cleaning the laser unless your console is acting up.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

Rapth

Post by Rapth »

Thank you for answering. Its surprising how many people would not answer this question for me. The only reason I am so concerned, is because PS2 won't be around forever, and I really do not want my console to die, ever, even though it will happen eventually. :P

Yea, I do not think there was a power surge, as nothing else turned off, except the PS2, PS3, and TV. Nothing else in my bedroom, (even the things connect to the power bar, along with the PS2, and TV). So I think I am safe there....

Yea, the disk says to clean the system after every ten hours of use.... So I was wondering if this would be a good idea. Do not want to take protective measures when they are not needed. :P

Thank you again for your answers, I really appreciate them.
(gmt-7)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Yea I dont know for sure, but sounds possible that your ps2 could be damaged by the power shutting off like that.

I had a fat ps2 that had a real power switch on the back that completely shut off power to the console. I used to turn it off that way several times a day and my console lasted nearly 9 years. So no, I don't think that simply turning on your console a lot matters. The newer slims (90001 model) dont even have the master power switch in the back, so when you turn them off they really just stay in standby mode.

I can't really offer any advice on your last question.

Rapth

Post by Rapth »

Thank you lazy. :P

I do not think the power turning off would damage the system, unless there was a power surge. Because if you think about it, when you power off the system, (the way it is designed) its the same thing. The power to the system is turned off, in the EXACT same way, as if you pulled the plug. The only difference is that its completely shutting off, instead of entering stand by mode.
(gmt-7)