PS2 Comparison

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
Rapth
Level 15: Partial Spectrum Warrior: Ten Wrenches
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

PS2 Comparison

Post by Rapth »

So I was thinking of picking up another PS2, since their not going to last forever, and do not know if I will have the money to buy another one again, anytime soon. So currently I have the 90001 model.

Anyways, I was looking around, and was wondering which I should buy... Another 90001 model, or a White Singstar Version. The black PS2 is the normal price, $99.99 the white one is $150.00. I was wondering if the extra $50.00 would be worth it.

I do not mod my consoles, I just want one that will have the best chance of lasting the longest time. I do not plan to play it until my current one breaks, and, I do not play either console hardcore, maybe a few hours a night, sometimes I won't play for a few days. Anyways, was simply wondering if the white version was worth the price difference.

Also I was wondering, the pros and cons of the two different models that I am considering buying. I do not own a white PS2, and never have, so I am not sure the model number, but I do currently own the 90001. Thanks guys.
(gmt-7)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: PS2 Comparison

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I have owned the 90001 model for about 2 years now and I play it probably at least every other day for long periods of time. I have not had one single problem with it yet. If I were to buy another replacement console I'd probably just buy this model new again.

I don't know anything about this white singstar version you are speaking of, but I imagine it would be the same model or very very similar to the 90001 model. I imagine it costs more simple because it is bundled with a singstar game?

For myself, I plan to pick up probably 2 or 3 new 90001 models if they ever drop down to 50 bucks haha.

Rapth

Post by Rapth »

Yea I play my PS2 a few hours a day, like two or three. But I plan to buy at least one more while they are still $100. I heard they are going out soon, so just in case I do not have enough money when/if they drop the price on the final shipments. Than at least I will have one more to use up. But if they ever drop to $50 or below, I plan to buy like ten, this way, assuming they all last at least five years, it will be more than a lifetime. :P

I am on my way to purchasing several hundred games, and would hate to spend thousands of dollars, simply to have my console break, with Sony no longer servicing repairs.
(gmt-7)

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

It all depends on what you want:

If you want it to last a long time, or use Swap Magic: 90001.
If you want to softmod: 79001.
If you want an HDD and I.Link (for the 5 games that use it): 39001.
If you want an import model for PS1/2: 90000.
If you want HDD, Blu-Ray, virtual memory cards, and newer games: PS3 CECHA/B

I would get a 90001. Probably the best model there is. The only issues it has are with some no name 3rd party memory cards, and with softmods. As long as you use offical memory cards, it should last a long time.

Plus, the 90000/1 is the only one you can still buy new.

As for the king of all models, that would have to be the PS3 CECHA/B. Virtual memory card support, HDD support for all supported games, 100% BC, and built in network.

Rapth

Post by Rapth »

Not interested in getting a PS3... I currently have the 90001 model, and I am buying another one for christmas, and probably another for my birthday... :P

I want a PS2 that will last me the absolute longest, with as little issues as possible... Thus the reason I plan to stock pile a few systems for when they break down, until eventually I don't have any left, (which will hopefully be when I die).

As for PS3... or rather, all of the current generation systems, I was looking for a cheaper alternative... Have a system that still has a decent online community, and a good amount of games I could buy for a decent price, which I have found with the PS2. Also, all of the new systems are going to be releasing within the next few years, and would hate to waste money, buying all of the new games, accessories, and network games, to have to pretty well throw them all away in 2-3 years.

I plan to buy the PS4, or the next 360... Just depends my money situation at that time, and if their worth buying, also considering their price. Next generation of gaming systems might just be a hand held/old generation ten years for me again. :P
(gmt-7)

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

I also plan on buying a few more PS2s before they're taken off store shelves. I figure that I have the cream of the crop when it comes to systems: I own a 30001 fitted with a HD, a 79001 that is very reliable and will eventually own a 90001 as a back-up. I also have a Free MCBoot softmod memory card, which has basically saved my 30001 from being a semi-working paperweight.

Don't want to get off-topic here, but I am likely going to sit the next gen out until the consoles hit $200 and/or are cracked. Getting really tired of the DRM and anti-consumer behavior beginning to take hold in the industry. I understand companies need to protect their investments, but treating customers like thieves isn't endearing me to their cause.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

Rapth

Post by Rapth »

Yea I am probably going to end up with a few more 90001 models, which is fine. I am not interested in modding, just interested in being able to enjoy PS2 games. :P But I went to Wal Mart, and Best Buy last night with my little brother looking for a PS2 controller and could not find any... It was disappointing.

Maybe I will buy a phat model eventually, but as it is now, I am more interested in finishing my collection, and getting a few mre systems.
(gmt-7)

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

Rapth wrote:Yea I am probably going to end up with a few more 90001 models, which is fine. I am not interested in modding, just interested in being able to enjoy PS2 games. :P But I went to Wal Mart, and Best Buy last night with my little brother looking for a PS2 controller and could not find any... It was disappointing.

Maybe I will buy a phat model eventually, but as it is now, I am more interested in finishing my collection, and getting a few mre systems.
GameStop still has controllers, and my local wal mart has both offical and 3rd party ones.

BTW, there is a rare PS2 system called the PSX. It has an HDD, is Japan only, has a tv tuner and dvd burner, and is RARE!

Rapth

Post by Rapth »

Yea I went hunting for a controller, Saturday I think, with no luck. Went searching again today, went to Game Stop, purchased a used one, went to Wall Mart for my dad, and found a new one. :P

Yea I know about those PS2 consoles, I would love to have one, but I am not really willing to spend anymore than around 100 dollars for a PS2, considering I can buy them new that much, I could only imagine how much one of those would cost. :P

I do however, plan to buy a used PHAT PS2, and a hard drive for it... Using the memory card mod, and enjoying my system and games for EVER!!!
(gmt-7)

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

My advice to you if you're looking for a used original PS2 is to try before you buy. Bring a CD-ROM game (blue disc), a DVD game (silver) and a DVD-9 (dual layer, look here for a list of games) game with you and test the system out. Make sure it can load each type of disc. Some original models have trouble loading CD-ROM titles, while others struggle with dual-layer games. My original model can load most of my CD-ROM games, but refuses to load DVD based titles.

The reason I say this is because ripping your games to the HD from the disc drive is much faster than FTPing them through your network. FTPing games often takes hours and can be a real time consuming process to get the best speeds. You could also get a HDD caddy, and place the PS2's HDD in there whenever you need to transfer games.

Another tip I'd recommend is to follow jacobg's advice and aim for the 39001 models and up. 30001 models are extremely prone to laser failure at this point. I'd avoid these models unless you get a very good deal, or in my friend's case, free. 50000 series units also supposedly have faulty lasers, but may work simply by virtue of age. Again, try before you buy.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!