Netflix Instant Streaming Disc for Brazil?

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Netflix Instant Streaming Disc for Brazil?

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Mytho messaged me this link http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/10/net ... g_on_a.php
Late last night, while poking through a rather... unsavory place on the internet, let's just say... I came across a discovery: a Netflix instant streaming disc for the PS2. Yet instead of being the handiwork of hackers and the like, turns out, it's a very real thing.

Similar to the ones that were produced for the Wii and PS3 a few years back, the PS2 variant was created exclusively for the Brazilian market. Someone in America was able to get their hands on the super rare disc, who then ripped it and put it online.

For those interested, you'll have to track it down yourself, and a modded console is also necessary. But those with both have reported an experience that's remarkably like the PS3's, except nothing's in HD. Which shouldn't be a shocker.

It also apparently acknowledges your Netflix account with zero fuss or muss, and the menus are even in English. Most surprising of all is how it works on NTSC consoles (strange considering that Brazil mostly supports PAL).
That is what the post says, and if this is true and the disc works on american consoles too this is really awesome. He says a modded console is needed though. Since we have a bunch of new Brazilian members, was wondering if any of you guys know much about this?

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Re: Netflix Instant Streaming Disc for Brazil?

Post by IRON_PIMP »

Hello All
-I can confirm the ISO is already patched with ESR and works on the PS2, but I don't have an account with Netflix-so that I can not confirm--
Thanks for posting (BTW, the ISO is NOT hard to find)

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

I read it works with all netflix accounts....also you can use a softmodded PS2 or Swap Magic to play it.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I can confirm it works albeit it is slow but tat could be from my crappy discs lol. This so cool now i can just use this for my tv.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

I'd be interested to hear how this performs installed on a HD. Is anyone up for trying this out?
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Unless you have netflic service then there is no point in using this. I don't have an HDD for my fat yet so idk anybody else has a modded ps2 with hdd and netflix subscription lol. The video loading wouldn't change, thats just the ps2's slow ethernet adapter.

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

Mytho wrote:I'd be interested to hear how this performs installed on a HD. Is anyone up for trying this out?
Two nights ago, I successfully installed it onto my IDE HDD inside of my fat PS2. So far, it's been working very well! I didn't even need to activate any special modes, (like the one that kills HDloader after launch.)
(gmt-4)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Well this might be gone now. Apparently it was deactivated very recently:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29 ... #336197005

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

Can confirm. Apparently this is also why I hate digital distrubition, because at any time a company can cut you off. Look at Steam for 9x and 2k.

Let's just hope this doesn't lead to more shutdowns.....D:

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I wonder if it could still work if you redirect the server dns's to something else. Although I happened to have the chance to try it out really, if you can use almost anything else to play netflix lol.