Damn, Resident Evil 4 is still amazing

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Damn, Resident Evil 4 is still amazing

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

I played this years ago and loved every moment of it, but this past month I decided to replay it again to see if it still held up and it sure as hell still does.

I know this was originally on Gamecube, but I never owned that version. I first experienced this game on the PS2 and it blew me away back then. The graphics were amazing back then and still are impressive to this day. The game also exceeds in the most important aspect of a game. It has freaking amazing gameplay.

The controls take some getting used too as you are in a third person perspective and cannot strafe or move while aiming your gun. At first this annoys you, but quickly it becomes obvious that this is done to enhance the gameplay. Since you cannot move while shooting, it makes the moments when you spot a collection of zombies (fine..."infected") slowly waddling towards you much more intense. Since you know you need to be accurate with your shots or your flesh will be violently devoured because of your sloppy aiming very soon after haha.

This game is lengthy too and it never manages to get stale. It has very amusing secondary things you can do in the game too. Like you can spend lots of time messing around in a shooting gallery that you randomly find in the game for example.

The voice acting in this game is pleasantly cheesy as well.

I should say though that I have never played any other resident evil games. I know that RE4 was supposed to be a huge departure from the past games in the series, but I am happy that they decided to make Resident Evil 4 how it turned out to be. In my opinion it is one of the small numbers of classic video games from last generation that will still be fun a decade from now.

Most people by now have played this game on the GC, its PS2 port, or its Wii port, but if you happened to miss out on this game go out and buy it!

JJC5150
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: JJC5150

Re: Damn, Resident Evil 4 is still amazing

Post by JJC5150 »

Ahh, RE4 :D
I saw the post and just had to post a reply - one of my favorite games ever, honestly I still play it from time to time and I think im on my 6th play thru. ;)

For me, the best thing about this game is the more that you play it, the more fun it is. The more times you play it thru, the more items and modes you unlock, and the game becomes even more fun. And since you carry over your weapons from the previous play thru, you can have some extremely powerful guns, some even with unlimited ammo.

If you guys don't have this game, and u like action games, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND picking this one up.
(gmt-4)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

JJC5150 wrote:Ahh, RE4 :D
I saw the post and just had to post a reply - one of my favorite games ever, honestly I still play it from time to time and I think im on my 6th play thru. ;)

For me, the best thing about this game is the more that you play it, the more fun it is. The more times you play it thru, the more items and modes you unlock, and the game becomes even more fun. And since you carry over your weapons from the previous play thru, you can have some extremely powerful guns, some even with unlimited ammo.

If you guys don't have this game, and u like action games, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND picking this one up.
This is my 2nd playthrough and I can easily envision reaching my 6th in the future lol. The game is long too, which makes it all the more amazing it manages to be such a good game for that whole time. Besides the story mode, the extra modes like mercenaries are extremely addicting too.I actually found the mercenary modes more terrifying than the main game since mini bosses (like those evil chain saw guys) spawn indefinitely and come chase you down.

I have barely scratched the surface on using all the different types of weapons too. There is so many that you have to choose to invest in some and ignore others for awhile, at least on the first playthrough.

JJC5150

Post by JJC5150 »

Yes, Mercenaries is HIGHLY addictive! I can not tell you how many hours I have put into playing it :D.

If you havent already, you should play thru assignment ada (mini game/unlockable). Its fun, challenging, AND, if you complete it you can have the ability to unlock the chicago typewriter (tommygun), which is one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

AND if u want a real challenge, get an A ranking on all levels WITH ALL characters in mercenaries to unlock the hand cannon - which is the most powerful gun in the whole game. And is super fun too. :twisted:
(gmt-4)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I just played some more of RE4's story mode last night. I am saving replaying the the mercenaries mode until I rebeat the singleplayer since that mode is too addicting haha.

Oh man I hate the wolves in that garden in the story mode. Their growling freaked me out so much.

JJC5150

Post by JJC5150 »

Yea man i know, been meaning to play it a bit myself, but have been too busy this past week or so.

Finish the story mode, then do assignment Ada (if u haven't already), then mercs :twisted:
(gmt-4)

thebadassdude
Gone for 25 to Life...
Gone for 25 to Life...
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by thebadassdude »

this game should have an online mode
(gmt-7)
God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under a loaded gun
And it cant be out fought,it cant be out done
it cant be out match.it cant be out run.NO!

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

What'a ya buyin? Got some Good! things on sale, Stranga.

mm i'm gonna have to play this some more. now
mercenaries <3

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

All this RE4 talk reminds of me of this Mega64 classic:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Last edited by Mytho on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

:lol: