PS2 Online Revolution Retrospective

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
FreddY
Level 11: Ratchet & Clank: Stay Out of My Arsenal!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Razxr

PS2 Online Revolution Retrospective

Post by FreddY »

The PlayStation 2 Network Adaptor was officially released on August 27, 2002 in North America.

As we celebrate ten years of PS2 online gaming (post-THPS3) this year, I thought it would be fun to take a look back at the PS2 online revolution and how the online experience has evolved since then, from both a marketing and technological standpoint. Here are some videos many of you may find familiar:

Various Trailers / Game Commercials

weegee22
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: weegee22

Re: PS2 Online Revolution Retrospective

Post by weegee22 »

youre right we should celebrate but how
(gmt-4)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Great thread. Pretty nuts that the ps2 will have been online with the official network adapter for 10 years pretty soon. The state of ps2 online gaming right now is suprisingly still pretty active in some games. A lot of good ps2 online games have gone offline forever, but many have LAN modes so still will be playable online through LAN tunneling software like Xlink Kai or XBSlink indefinitely. It seems like recently a lot of titles have been going offline, but the amount of ps2 games still online through their normal servers is still pretty surprising. Hopefully Sony keeps up the DNAS servers up for a very long time and then we will probably have the gamespy games online for a long time at least. As time goes on more and more online ps2 games will go offline through their normal servers, but with the large amount of LAN capable ps2 games (A list: http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/vi ... ?f=29&t=30) ps2 online gaming will continue long into the future among it's diehard fans. Even now the community is small, but people keep on playing playstation 2 games online and that is all that matters. I know that for myself,as long as it's possible I will try to keep playing ps2 online games because there are many that I love and I cannot play any sequels to them or similar games anywhere else.

teamR@@K!E
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!

Post by teamR@@K!E »

That's funny you say that Lazy. Just last night i was checking out some games at WalMart, even though i don't care to go there much, at all

but I saw someone buying, brand new, the last one in stock, an unopened PS2

I have not seen that Tribes AA trailer for the longest time, but i still do remember it.

SG-17
Level 4: Rumble Group

Post by SG-17 »

August 27th is the 10 year anniversary of SOCOM I as well.
(GMT-5)
Star Wars: Battlefront I & II | SOCOM I, II, 3/CA | Battlefield 2: Modern Combat | Godzilla: Save the Earth

weegee22
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: weegee22

Post by weegee22 »

yep
(gmt-4)