Hello all!

New to the site? Post here to introduce yourself.
jasonGbass
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Hello all!

Post by jasonGbass »

Hey there people, my names Jason. It's good to finally get on this site. I came here for the same reason many of you did, to play my PS2 online. I'm wondering mainly what games have the most people online without Lan Tunneling. How many people regularly play games like Area 51, Star Wars: Battle Front 1 and 2 and Call of Duty 3? Also, do I need to make any accounts for mentioned games through GameSpy or anything? Your help is greatly appreciated. I currently have Champions of Norrath, if anybody would like to play that with me sometime, lets set something up. Thanks for your time!

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Hello all!

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Hey jason glad to have you on the site.

If you want to see which games our site members have you can look at the Community Online Games List

Here is a list of which PS2 online games still have their servers up:

http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/vi ... ?f=29&t=17

Also, here is a Quick Guide on Using this Website that will be helpful for you.

Some games that have high player counts without LAN tunneling are the Socom games, Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. Call of duty 3 usually has some people on, but its hard to tell just how many people are on since the servers for that game are terrible and the master list very slowly updates. I haven't looked in awhile, but Killzone used to have a big online player count. I'd imagine it has dwindled with the released of its 2 newer sequels.

I believe all the games I mentioned do not require any extra account creation like with Gamespy.

I know there are several people on the site that are interested in playing Champions of Norrath online.

jasonGbass

Post by jasonGbass »

Thanks lazyhoboguy, for the greeting and the heads up on the games. I think I will look into Star Wars: Battle Front 2.

The Don
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Post by The Don »

Welcome to the site! Battlefront is a fun game, but they shut down the servers. I believe the servers are still up for Battlefront 2. I've been getting into it a little lately. Don't be too afraid of LAN tunneling. It's actually pretty easy.
(gmt-5)

jasonGbass

Post by jasonGbass »

I'll check out LAN tunneling sooner or later. How are the servers for Call of Duty 2: Big Red One? I hear they're pretty bad, but I'd like to take word from someone who's actually played the game.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

The Don wrote:Welcome to the site! Battlefront is a fun game, but they shut down the servers. I believe the servers are still up for Battlefront 2. I've been getting into it a little lately. Don't be too afraid of LAN tunneling. It's actually pretty easy.
Uhh wat? I played on SWBF's server maybe 6 months ago. I will have to check to see if they are really down. Do you have a source on this? It may have just been your internet connection was having trouble one day when you were trying to connect.
jasonGbass wrote:I'll check out LAN tunneling sooner or later. How are the servers for Call of Duty 2: Big Red One? I hear they're pretty bad, but I'd like to take word from someone who's actually played the game.
The Call of Duy 2: Bro servers are better than COD 3's, but they still are somewhat crappy. You will run into connection problems often, but you can usually get into a game with a little persistance. The problem is that in order to host one needs to have ports forwarded to their playstation 2. When people host without doing it, some other people are enable to join. If everyone played with the correct ports forwarded to their PS2 (or set their PS2 on DMZ, opening all ports to it) I believe COD2: BRO online would have no connection problems.

Call of Duty 2: BRO does have a LAN mode though, so it is playable through LAN tunneling if you ever go that setup.

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

Area 51 if you were wondering has a small amount of people playing it. It's not quite dead yet. You should find a game going, maybe two. You have to create a Gamespy account (can be done on the game) for this game as you do with Star Wars Battlefront (although you can use the same account for both games/other Gamespy games on PS2)

The Don

Post by The Don »

lazyhoboguy wrote:Uhh wat? I played on SWBF's server maybe 6 months ago. I will have to check to see if they are really down. Do you have a source on this? It may have just been your internet connection was having trouble one day when you were trying to connect.
It's true, sadly. Here's the announcement. http://forums.lucasarts.com/ann.jspa?annID=3 It should work in LAN mode with tunneling software. The worst part is that now you can't download the latest patch which has several fixes. The patch only works on the console where it was originally downloaded, so you can't copy from another mem card.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Oh man, well this sure is sad news :cry: . At least Star Wars Battlefront 2 is still online. They both do have LAN modes so they can be LAN tunneled even after they go offline, but they are the type of games that benefit from having big human player counts, something that is hard to achieve through LAN tunneling. I think the bots are supported in the LAN modes of the games, but I am not sure of that. Hope they are as that would make LAN tunneling the game better.

The Don

Post by The Don »

The bots are there in LAN mode. My friends and I LAN SWB and SWB2 all the time.
(gmt-5)