Need more members.

New to the site? Post here to introduce yourself.
Panko1
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Panko1

Need more members.

Post by Panko1 »

Hello everyone! Just like the guy who posted before me I'm also from Brazil and I'm glad to find players from everywhere helping to keep PS2 online. In Brazil we got a strong online PS2 community as well ready to play with the people here. Players from South should join here to play with North Americans considering the small time zone difference but unfortunately there is a language barrier since most players from Brazil don't understand English.

There are lots of people to play PS2 online but unfortunately there are many empty servers too. The only way to change that is to make everyone from everywhere to play at the same time the same games. And I think this site is helping that.

Viscosity
site admin

Re: Need more members.

Post by Viscosity »

Yeah sadly I don't know any Portuguese either lol. I'm very limited in Spanish though too. Do you guys use NTSC or PAL ps2's? A lot of games don't let people play between the two.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Hey panko I am glad you and lulu found our site. I had no idea there was a ps2 online community around in Brazil. Like you mentioned though there is a language barrier. Nobody I know of here speaks Portuguese unfortunately, but it seems like you and Lulu speak English well. Maybe you could help coordinate and translate for the Brazilian ps2 online gamers so we can all get together to play games online.

Do you guys have a Brazilian site where you plan games or something? Could I see the link if so? I could try using Google translator to try to understand some of it.

Panko1
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: Panko1

Post by Panko1 »

Favrenation: Do you guys use NTSC or PAL ps2's?
In Brazil most people use NTSC PS2 games just like the whole American continent wich makes another great advantage besides the small time zone difference. So I guess the only problem is the different language.
lazyhoboguy: Maybe you could help coordinate and translate for the Brazilian ps2 online gamers so we can all get together to play games online.
Actually, I just got started on PS2 online gaming as I bought my Network Adaptor few days ago and have found this site on Google. I just met Lulu on an Amplitude scheduled match with you and Wawowe. Lulu was the one who mentioned about his Brazilian community. I haven't registered on their community yet but when I do I will mention this site and try to get as many players I can to join or at least post their game schedules here. And I hope Lulu can help me doing that.
lazyhoboguy: Do you guys have a Brazilian site where you plan games or something?
I've checked Lulu's Brazilian community. And people there don't schedule matches like here because they don't have a site. They use other ways of contact like instant messaging, social networking or email. So your site is still the best way to schedule even for them. They don't have a great site like this but they got over two hundred registered members on their social network community wich makes the biggest (and maybe the only) PS2 online community of South America.
lazyhoboguy: Could I see the link if so?
Here are all the links and info I could find:

Orkut (Brazilian Facebook)
This is where you can find over 200 members besides Admins and Moderators just like on your site but there you have to login first.

YouTube Channel

Email
ps2onlinebr@gmail.com

Windows Messenger (Instant Chat)
group1551213@groupsim.com
Where they plan instant online matches
lazyhoboguy: I could try using Google translator to try to understand some of it.
Using Google translator would be a great tool for the people there and here to make game scheduling. It would be easy to do that since you just have to mention the game title and the time to play.
(gmt-3)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

You guys are welcome to post here in portuguses if you like. We can install language packs with phpbb. This will enable you to see the site in portuguse. You would just have to change you language setting in the user control panel. I am not sure how the or if it translates every single post but we can work something out.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1109765

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Favrenation wrote:You guys are welcome to post here in portuguses if you like. We can install language packs with phpbb. This will enable you to see the site in portuguse. You would just have to change you language setting in the user control panel. I am not sure how the or if it translates every single post but we can work something out.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1109765
That sounds interesting, but I have a feeling the translations might suck.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Yeah all that does is translate the what the forum says not topics or posts. We could embed a google translate option in the site though.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Favrenation wrote:Yeah all that does is translate the what the forum says not topics or posts. We could embed a google translate option in the site though.
That doesn't sound worth it honestly then. Google translate is sort of horrible. It let's you understand basic things, but communicating using it is extremely difficult.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Well its better than no translation. We should still the language packs so people that don't speak english can at-least navigate the website.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

Rather than try and tear down our forum, Lulu and Panko could promote the weekly TimeSplitters/Sunday games on their forum for the non-English speaking individuals. I don't think having people speaking Portuguese on our forum, or us trying to communicate over Orkut will bridge the language gap.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!