Requesting Assistance with Xlink Kai

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
MajinHalo521
Level 11: Ratchet & Clank: Stay Out of My Arsenal!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: MetaSwordzGuy695

Requesting Assistance with Xlink Kai

Post by MajinHalo521 »

If there is anyone out there with a copy of Star Wars Battlefront II and a setup for playing online with Xlink, I would like to ask for your assistance. I've made an account with Kai (MetaSwordzGuy695), installed it to my computer, and can look for matches in the game arenas section of the website. What I'd like help with is getting the program to detect my Playstation 2 so I can play online, which I can't (according to the faq section) because my network uses DHCP. I need help to go into the router settings and block my PS2 from being affiliated with DHCP so that Xlink can assign an IP address when I want to play online. If anyone that reads the is able to help me, please reply to this thread so I can set up a time where I can meet with you and get my PS2 set up for LAN tunneling when the time comes.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Requesting Assistance with Xlink Kai

Post by lazyhoboguy »

What is your setup exactly? Is your ps2 plugged into your router? Or is it plugged into your computer and you are using Internet Connection Sharing or a bridged connection? Is you computer using wireless internet?

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

Most routers have the ability to always assign a specific IP to a certain MAC, but different routers have different features and interfaces. You should be able to access your routers setup page by going to 192.168.*.1 in your browser (replace * with a number, most likely 192.168.1.1). Then you'll have to figure out the password.
Or you could avoid modifying the router settings by using the network setup utility on your ps2 (swbf2 has one) List of other games with the Network Setup Utility, add a new setting, choose static, and http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/vi ... tatic#p871
if 192.168.1.1 = your router's setup page then use 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1

after you do that your ps2 will not send out a dhcp request when you choose your newly saved setup in games
might also want to make another non-xlink static setup, something like:
IP=192.168.1.63
Subnetmask=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.1.1
DNS=192.168.1.1

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just use your dhcp setup for swbf2 and xlink, though. that's what most people use with other games over xlink.

MajinHalo521

Post by MajinHalo521 »

Lazy: When I play on Xlink, I will be using my laptop as a wireless bridge to connect to Xlink.

Wawowe: I went to diagnostics on Kai while running a search for LAN games, and a notification appeared saying the PS2 failed to configure. Upon sifting through the Faq I found that this only occurs for PS2 and GameCube users that have DHCP enabled for their home network, and one of the options to get DHCP to stop assigning an IP address to the PS2 (something Xlink tries to do as well but can't because of DHCP) by blocking the MAC address of the PS2 from being affiliated with DHCP. I figured that would be easier than shutting down the DHCP itself and assigning all 4 computers and other wireless devices an IP address (which would freak everyone out because they'd have no idea what I'm doing to their stuff). If it IS possible to configure a static-only IP network setting for the PS2 to use for Kai apart from the one that uses DHCP currently, I'll look for it, although I don't recall seeing it in the utility on SWBF2 or the startup disk itself.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

MajinHalo521 wrote:Lazy: When I play on Xlink, I will be using my laptop as a wireless bridge to connect to Xlink.

Wawowe: I went to diagnostics on Kai while running a search for LAN games, and a notification appeared saying the PS2 failed to configure. Upon sifting through the Faq I found that this only occurs for PS2 and GameCube users that have DHCP enabled for their home network, and one of the options to get DHCP to stop assigning an IP address to the PS2 (something Xlink tries to do as well but can't because of DHCP) by blocking the MAC address of the PS2 from being affiliated with DHCP. I figured that would be easier than shutting down the DHCP itself and assigning all 4 computers and other wireless devices an IP address (which would freak everyone out because they'd have no idea what I'm doing to their stuff). If it IS possible to configure a static-only IP network setting for the PS2 to use for Kai apart from the one that uses DHCP currently, I'll look for it, although I don't recall seeing it in the utility on SWBF2 or the startup disk itself.
Ok. I think your problem is a simple one then. If your network is reachable in Xlink Kai it means the ports are open to the computer running xlink kai. I had my console not be detected when I first tried using wireless on my PC. You need to bridge the wireless network card and wired network card on your computer. Just go into the network connections menu and highlight both and pick bridge connections. Will discconect you for a bit while it bridges them. Then hook up a normal ethernet cable from your computer's wired network card to your ps2. You should then just use an automatically setup ps2 network configuration on your ps2. It should work unless you have something else causing the problem. Although, it sounds like your problem is the wireless, as xlink kai dislikes wireless. If you bridge the connection like I said I am pretty sure it will fix your problem. Also, try turning off any firewalls you have while testing to make sure that isn't the problem. Usually the firewall blocks the ports from being open though, and doesn't effect the console being detected.

Also, make sure you are in the lan mode, and refresh the lan mode and leave/reenter the lan mode a bit if xlink kai doesnt detect your console at all. If it says console failed to connect then you know it had a problem though.

MajinHalo521

Post by MajinHalo521 »

It must be another problem then, because I do share a connection between my PS2 and laptop. It beats running between the main computer upstairs and the PS2 just to connect to Kai and play games, which would be a waste of time and effort when I can do it in the same room. Hopefully I can get it up and running when I can connect to Xlink after I ensure DHCP won't interfere.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Well wait did you bridge the connections on your computer? or are you using internet connection sharing? I found that for whatever reason, using internet connection sharing while on wireless did not ever work right for xlink kai. I always have to bridge connections when on wireless in order for xlink kai to work.

MajinHalo521

Post by MajinHalo521 »

I bridge a connection between my PS2 and my laptop by highlighting both my connection and the "local area connection" (presumably the ethernet port on the side), then right click and select "Bridge connections". I'm assuming that would be wireless since my laptop is still using the internet via the wireless router while at the same time providing internet to the PS2. So the connection is bridged (wirelessly I'm assuming), and Xlink Kai recognizes the console, but it fails to configure. That being the case, if I can't find a way to assign the PS2 a static IP address without blocking it from DHCP, I'll have to do so.
(gmt-5)

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

That's the annoying thing about bridging connections in Windows. When you use that setup, the packets that your laptop sends to your router get sent through the wireless adapter. As a result, the packets all have your wireless adapter's MAC address, in the "source" section, instead of your PS2's MAC address. You probably will indeed have to set a manual IP address.
(gmt-4)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Yes I have to make a jak x config using a bridged connection. If you setup ICS it might work but a bridged connections. Try doing this: http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/vi ... f=29&t=179
It always works for me.