PS2N ISSUE(S)

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
stevenklipt_U
Level 2: My Street Resident
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: dj3q0t32tegb

Re: PS2N ISSUE(S)

Post by stevenklipt_U »

Ok I tried to connect using the automatic settings and it keeps failing. I first tried using my crossover cable. I then tried using my standard cat 5e cable and it still failed. Should I de-bridge my connection now and then try? If that fails, I'm going to connect the cable to my router. I hope I don't need to port forward because I don't know where to get the information.

stevenklipt_U

Post by stevenklipt_U »

I can't seem to connect using the automatic settings. I de-bridged my laptop connection and switched the crossover cable to the standard cat 5e cable but I still couldn't connect using the automatic settings. Only the manual settings are letting me connect so far. I may need to do some port forwarding but I don't know if there are ports for PS2 games that need to be open. My last resort so far is to just connect the standard 100ft cat 5e cable through my PS2 and router itself in my living room. I'm not giving up on trying to get my connection working because I want to play COD multiplayer so bad. Thanks Mytho.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

Just for fun, I just tried configuring a bridged connection on a laptop I have lying around and was able to successfully connect without any issues using the automatic settings. The only other issue I can think of is that maybe your router can't allocate a LAN IP address to your PS2. You would have to check and see if your router is assigning a LAN IP address to your PS2.

If you can, just use the 100ft CAT5e cable for now and see if that will work.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

stevenklipt_U

Post by stevenklipt_U »

Did you bridge the Ethernet and Wi-Fi? Because those are the only two choices I have to bridge. I can't do anything with the Broadband Connecton [WAN Miniport (PPPOE)]. I'll tell you what I'm seeing on my Network Settings in Control Panel. The Wi-Fi IP is different now. The last digit is up one. And the Ethernet is displaying a totally diferent IP and Subnet Mask. Is that normal? Do you know how I can check to see if my router is assigning a LAN IP to my PS2? Thanks for your assistance Mytho. I haven't connected my standard cat 5e cable to my router yet, but when I do, do I plug it into the WAN or LAN?

chak88

Post by chak88 »

stevenklipt_U wrote:Did you bridge the Ethernet and Wi-Fi? Because those are the only two choices I have to bridge. I can't do anything with the Broadband Connecton [WAN Miniport (PPPOE)]. I'll tell you what I'm seeing on my Network Settings in Control Panel. The Wi-Fi IP is different now. The last digit is up one. And the Ethernet is displaying a totally diferent IP and Subnet Mask. Is that normal? Do you know how I can check to see if my router is assigning a LAN IP to my PS2? Thanks for your assistance Mytho. I haven't connected my standard cat 5e cable to my router yet, but when I do, do I plug it into the WAN or LAN?
I don't know about The Bridging stuff but If you connect the standard Cat 5e cable directly to the router you have to connect it to the LAN I am 99% sure about that however If I am wrong I am sure Mytho will correct me I Hope this helps and you are able to get connected and enjoy some Multiplayer Gaming. :)

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

stevenklipt_U wrote:Did you bridge the Ethernet and Wi-Fi? Because those are the only two choices I have to bridge. I can't do anything with the Broadband Connecton [WAN Miniport (PPPOE)]. I'll tell you what I'm seeing on my Network Settings in Control Panel. The Wi-Fi IP is different now. The last digit is up one. And the Ethernet is displaying a totally diferent IP and Subnet Mask. Is that normal? Do you know how I can check to see if my router is assigning a LAN IP to my PS2? Thanks for your assistance Mytho. I haven't connected my standard cat 5e cable to my router yet, but when I do, do I plug it into the WAN or LAN?
When you set your router up, did you have to select PPPoE and enter a user name and password? When I bridged my connection last night, it worked automatically and said nothing about PPPoE. If you don't know how to access your router, let me know the make and model number and I can help you.

As for whether or not your router is assigning a LAN IP to your PS2, you would have to check your router's client list when you enable the bridge connection. The IP should look almost identical to your laptop's LAN IP, except the last number should be incremented by one.

chak88 is correct regarding how to connect the CAT5e cable. On your router, there should be 4 Ethernet ports in a row. Plug your CAT5e cable into one of those ports and you should be good to go.
(gmt-5)

stevenklipt_U

Post by stevenklipt_U »

chak88 wrote:
I don't know about The Bridging stuff but If you connect the standard Cat 5e cable directly to the router you have to connect it to the LAN I am 99% sure about that however If I am wrong I am sure Mytho will correct me I Hope this helps and you are able to get connected and enjoy some Multiplayer Gaming. :)
Alright, thanks man for trying to help me. Hopefully we can play online if we have some games in common.

stevenklipt_U

Post by stevenklipt_U »

Mytho wrote:
When you set your router up, did you have to select PPPoE and enter a user name and password? When I bridged my connection last night, it worked automatically and said nothing about PPPoE. If you don't know how to access your router, let me know the make and model number and I can help you.

As for whether or not your router is assigning a LAN IP to your PS2, you would have to check your router's client list when you enable the bridge connection. The IP should look almost identical to your laptop's LAN IP, except the last number should be incremented by one.

chak88 is correct regarding how to connect the CAT5e cable. On your router, there should be 4 Ethernet ports in a row. Plug your CAT5e cable into one of those ports and you should be good to go.
I wouldn't know if the router is PPPoE enabled as well as username and password assigned because I didn't set it up. I'll check with our service provider and ask them sometime. The router is Verizon (model MI424WR). I checked my LAN in Network Connections on my laptop and yes, the last number is up one because it is usually 192.168.1.8 and now displays 192.168.1.9. So I plug my Ethernet cable in a LAN port, not the WAN port on the main computer?

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

stevenklipt_U wrote:I wouldn't know if the router is PPPoE enabled as well as username and password assigned because I didn't set it up. I'll check with our service provider and ask them sometime. The router is Verizon (model MI424WR). I checked my LAN in Network Connections on my laptop and yes, the last number is up one because it is usually 192.168.1.8 and now displays 192.168.1.9. So I plug my Ethernet cable in a LAN port, not the WAN port on the main computer?
Ah, gotcha on the router. To really get to the bottom of this, you would need to access your router from a browser and take a look at the settings.

That's correct regarding the Ethernet cable. You need to plug the cable into one of the four yellow ports on your router.
(gmt-5)

stevenklipt_U

Post by stevenklipt_U »

Do you know how to access the router?