PS2 to PS2

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
Scoopers
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

PS2 to PS2

Post by Scoopers »

Can you connect 2 PS2 by direct cable and play over the LAN settings? I cant remember if this can be done or if you need to link through a router. Would just hook up and see but to lazy to unhook everything and see :lol:
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: PS2 to PS2

Post by lazyhoboguy »

You picked a good time to ask this question. A week beforehand I would have no idea how to answer this. I stumbled upon an article answering this question recently.
For PlayStation®2 format software titles that support LAN gaming, in order to be able to plan via a LAN, you must create a network configuration file using the Network Start up disc or via a software title that has the configurator included.

In addition, you cannot connect two PlayStation 2 systems directly together via the Network port using a crossover cable. If you wish to connect multiple PlayStation 2 systems within your wired or wireless LAN, the PlayStation 2 system can function through the use of a switch, hub, or a router (wired or wireless) with NAT (Network Address Translation).
Source

The Don
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Post by The Don »

Wow, I would have thought that a crossover cable would work with fixed IP addresses. I'll have to give it a try. Now I have a project.
(gmt-5)

Scoopers
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

Thank you, you saved me some time.

I would have thought it would have worked with a straight connection also. With static IP's, wonder why it don't? That's the real question. Its a pain and without some outside program it almost impossible to connect 2 PCs together through the Network Adapters. Guess their goes that idea :lol: . Any way question answered :D
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Post by IRON_PIMP »

Actually you can connect two PS2's together using a crossover cable.
This is how:
PS2 1) Set up memory card:
IP 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
PS2 2) Set up Memory card
Subnet: Same as 1st
Connect cable to ethernet ports on each PS2's
Connect PS2's to two TV's
Use a game like GT4--One host and one is client
Have fun
To use More than 2, you need a router.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Yeah I was just about to say what ironpimp says. A pure network switch wouldn't work you need a router then if you going to use patch cables. Crossover lets you sens data back and forth at the same time i think.