Console failed to configure

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
Pike Fodder
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: IceCheat

Console failed to configure

Post by Pike Fodder »

I've figured out why I can't join games, according to Kia's diagnostics my console failed to configure. Fair enough, so I've checked the trouble shooting advise which gave me this:

Result

This message appears for Playstation 2 and Gamecube owners when you assign your device its IP via DHCP (automatically). Kai has its own inbuilt DHCP engine which it tries to issue your console with, and it fails to do so because another DHCP server exists on your network (usually a router).

There are 3 things you can do to solve the problem:

• Disable DHCP and set static IP's for your computers and consoles. You can have a look at this guide on how to do this in Windows XP.
• Block the MAC address of your console in your router so that it does not get assigned an IP by the router's DHCP server. Seek router / manufacturer documenation on whether you can do this with your particular router.
• Set the DHCP scope on the router so that it only assigns enough IP's for your PC's. Seek router / manufacturer documenation on whether you can do this with your particular router.

If the problem persists, we suggest you get some one-on-one support from here on in, so please fill in a Help Request form on the Official XLink Forums and post it into the Help Requests forum. A Team XLink moderator / administrator will try to respond as soon as possible, but no guarantees are made. To read about the Help Request System, please click here.

The only thing is I really have no idea how to do any of these things it suggests, would someone please tell me how to go about one of these? Prefebly a way that doesn't affect other users of this router.

Bear in mind I'm trying to use a PS3.
(gmt+1)
Currently at GMT+1, returning to GMT±0 when daylight servings change.

Viscosity
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Re: Console failed to configure

Post by Viscosity »

Ok how are you set up currently for Xlink? Do you use a manual IP or a DHCP IP?

Pike Fodder
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: IceCheat

Post by Pike Fodder »

I don't manual set one so DHCP IP I guess. Looking back over my post, that is what the problem is so the alternative is a manual IP, right?

It is possible to give my PS3 a manual IP in its network configuration, I could do that but I have no idea what to put there.

OFFTOPIC: Looking at both my posts on the same page I've noticed one clock is about a second slower than the other. Dang, it's stopped doing it. Wait, it's doing it again. This is becoming circular.
(gmt+1)
Currently at GMT+1, returning to GMT±0 when daylight servings change.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

This is from OC: # Boot up your PS2, and find the consoles MAC Address. This can be accessed by pressing Triangle at the main screen of your PS2 to view version information.
# Use your MAC address at this URL to generate an IP address: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ps2assign.php
# Create a new network setting on your PS2, and call it "xlink" or something similar.
# This will be a Static/Manual configuration. Use the following:

Console IP: (use the IP that you generated from the URL above)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Router IP/Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: Automatic

Does the PS3 use the same configuration for PS2 games or is there a separate ps2 game network config?

SHARKGUN
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: SHARKGUN

Post by SHARKGUN »

Favrenation wrote:# Boot up your PS2, and find the consoles MAC Address. This can be accessed by pressing Triangle at the main screen of your PS2 to view version information
That didn't work on my PS2 in the first place.

The basics:
  • you have to know your Router Password to access its web interface
  • Look for the DHCP scope and choose an IP that isn't part of the DHCP scope
  • Go to the PS3 config and manually set the IP to the one you've chosen.
  • Subnetmask is 255.255.255.0 as default value
  • Default Gateway is your Router's IP
  • Create a PS2 Network Config File on the PS3's internal virtual memory card if you haven't done that yet
  • if your OS is Vista/Win7 go into the properties of the XLink files and enable "Run as administrator" and activate the Compatibility Mode "XP Service Pack 2".
You bridge the Network Adapters by clicking on both while pressing Ctrl. Right-Click and choose Bridge Connection.
(gmt+1)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I dont know what your talking about. All I did was create a bridge then use my Ethernet adaptor for xlink and then create the xlink network con-fig with PS2's Mac address. No need to use your router. Then just plug ps2 into your computers Ethernet port and connect when xlink is up and it should detect your console.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Wait so Pike Fodder, first of all how are you setup. Are you using wireless for anything? Like is your PC connected to your router with an ethernet cord and your ps2 is connected to the router with an ethernet cord?

Also, you should be able to use an auto network configuration for the playstation 2 in most cases.

SHARKGUN
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: SHARKGUN

Post by SHARKGUN »

Favrenation wrote:I dont know what your talking about. All I did was create a bridge then use my Ethernet adaptor for xlink and then create the xlink network con-fig with PS2's Mac address. No need to use your router. Then just plug ps2 into your computers Ethernet port and connect when xlink is up and it should detect your console.
If the XLink connection can't be established one has to make use of portforwarding which needs a static ip.
(gmt+1)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Ik but that is different then getting your ps2 to be configured seperatley.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

HOLD UP

Before we get Pike Fodder all confused we need to find out the basic way he is setting up everything, meaning if he is using wireless or wires to do this.

If he is trying to use wireless internet from his router to pc things will be a lot more complicated to setup. If you are using wireless from your router to PS3, things will be even worse to setup.

So PikeFodder when you find this thread again, please elaborate on how you have everything hooked up. If you are using wireless to connect your router to the PC or PS3, or if you are using ethernet cords from router to your PC and to your PS3.