Console failed to configure

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
Pike Fodder
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: IceCheat

Re: Console failed to configure

Post by Pike Fodder »

Gosh you've all given a lot of information, thanks for that. Lets take a bit slower, I'm rather new to networking things beyond plugging stuff in. :lol:

My set up is my PC is plugged into the router via ethernet and my PS3 is plugged into the router via ethernet. NEXT STEP!

If anyone needs anymore clarification: PS3----Router----PC

EDIT: Also, when I'm looking through arenas in XL Kia it says under them: "? users, ? private arenas." Is this normal?
(gmt+1)
Currently at GMT+1, returning to GMT±0 when daylight servings change.

SHARKGUN
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: SHARKGUN

Post by SHARKGUN »

Pike Fodder wrote:Gosh you've all given a lot of information, thanks for that. Lets take a bit slower, I'm rather new to networking things beyond plugging stuff in. :lol:

My set up is my PC is plugged into the router via ethernet and my PS3 is plugged into the router via ethernet. NEXT STEP!

If anyone needs anymore clarification: PS3----Router----PC

EDIT: Also, when I'm looking through arenas in XL Kia it says under them: "? users, ? private arenas." Is this normal?
Ok, so your setup is completely wired. That's good. What we need to know next is what Operating System you are using.
(gmt+1)

Pike Fodder

Post by Pike Fodder »

Windows XP
(gmt+1)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Try the guide I posted before and see if that works. Instead of plugging the PS3 into your router you plug it into the ethernet port of your PC if you PC uses wifi.

SHARKGUN

Post by SHARKGUN »

Pike Fodder wrote:Windows XP
The setup should look like this: Router---PC---PS3

Therefore your PC should have two network interfaces (two ethernet ports / 1x ethernet + 1x WLAN).
You asked whether question marks in XLink Kai are normal: I see them too. But my connection works nonetheless. You usually just join a friend through the friends list.
(gmt+1)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Favrenation wrote:Try the guide I posted before and see if that works. Instead of plugging the PS3 into your router you plug it into the ethernet port of your PC if you PC uses wifi.
Dont do this.

He has a wired connection setup already making his pc on wireless only makes things worse.

At Pike Fodder, the thing where it shows "?" for all the arenas is something with xlink kai's servers, it does not affect anything besides being annoying since you cant see how many people are in arenas.

Since you are using a PS3, instead of a PS2, you might have to do something different to get it to detect your console. I do not have a backwards compatible PS3. Ltsurge uses his ps3 for ps2 xlink games, so maybe he can say how he got that to work.

On the PS2, using an automatically configured network setup for the console works best. I am guessing it would be the same case for the ps3.

Also, Pike Fodder I can try helping you with your xlink setup, but would need an instant messenger to do that because the Xlink Kai chat is horrible.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

SHARKGUN wrote:

Therefore your PC should have two network interfaces (two ethernet ports / 1x ethernet + 1x WLAN).
You asked whether question marks in XLink Kai are normal: I see them too. But my connection works nonetheless. You usually just join a friend through the friends list.
No, dont confuse him please lol. Using a router is fine, it is how most people do it. You just need to setup a static IP address on your PC and port forward port 30000, to it.

SHARKGUN

Post by SHARKGUN »

lazyhoboguy wrote:
SHARKGUN wrote:

No, dont confuse him please lol. Using a router is fine, it is how most people do it. You just need to setup a static IP address on your PC and port forward port 30000, to it.
Huh? You mean the part with the interfaces?
(gmt+1)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Xlink Kai will work with 2 setups.

[1]The first and most common setup. You have a router. You plug in one ethernet cord from the router to the ps2/ps3. You plug another ethernet cord from the router to the PC. Xlink Kai needs port 30000 open on your PC. So you have to setup a Static IP address on your PC and open up port 30000 for that IP address in your router menu.

[2 ]The other way to get Xlink Kai working and least common way is to have 2 network cards on your PC. (**IF YOU HAVE A ROUTER YOU STILL WOULD NEED TO PORT FORWARD, THIS SETUP WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU PLUG YOUR ETHERNET CORD DIRECTLY FROM THE PC TO THE INTERNET MODEM THAT PLUGS INTO YOUR WALL, SO BASICALLY IF YOU HAVE TO USE A ROUTER DO NOT TRY THIS SETUP**)

You hook an ethernet cord from your modem to your PC. Then you setup internet connection sharing on your PC. Next, you plug in a crossover cable (different type of cable from normal ethernet cords) from your 2nd wired network card to your PS2/PS3.

For this method though software firewall on your PC can block Xlink Kai so make sure you turn them off when testing this (you can set them up to allow xlink kai later).

[2.5] You can also use wireless internet to your pc and run a wire from your wired network card on the PC to the ps2/ps3. However, this is the hardest method to get setup and it will save you hours of your time if you spend 15 dollars and buy a long wire so you can keep your setup from using wireless. Xlink Kai does not like wireless.

I am working on a guide on how to do these steps more specifically. But if you need help getting xlink kai setup, pm me with your instant messenger info and we can figure out a time to troubleshoot this.

Pike Fodder

Post by Pike Fodder »

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."
SHARKGUN wrote:The setup should look like this: Router---PC---PS3

This computer has no built in WLAN and I'm not sure the ethernet port can act as an input; I'd prefer another method. Is your previous suggestion still viable?
lazyhoboguy wrote:[1]The first and most common setup. You have a router. You plug in one ethernet cord from the router to the ps2/ps3. You plug another ethernet cord from the router to the PC. Xlink Kai needs port 30000 open on your PC. So you have to setup a Static IP address on your PC and open up port 30000 for that IP address in your router menu.
That sounds like the way to go. Now can someone tell me how to open that port and how to set a static IP adress?

I'll go and see to getting an YIM account set up.
Last edited by Pike Fodder on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
(gmt+1)