2 routers

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
Scoopers
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

2 routers

Post by Scoopers »

Heres one for you how to setup Xlink with 2 routers. WITHOUT un-hooking the 2nd router LOL.

Na just yanking you're chain, but it does turn out you cant run this with 2 routers unless both "PC and PS2" are one the same router and 1st in line. Me I cant configure my system that way so till I get a new modem I wont be enjoying the perks of xlink. Is that new program better? Will it work with my current problem?
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

Viscosity
site admin

Re: 2 routers

Post by Viscosity »

If you need extra inputs on ur router buy a netowrk switch. it adds connection but is a splitter and not a router. http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethernet ... 193&sr=8-3 theres a 5 port one for 12 bucks. If you disable the firewall in your second router though then it should work.

Scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

LOL I went that route and with my DSL modem it only assigns 1 IP number in which is why I figure I cant host games and play on another console/PC in those games. The network switch I bought is designed to be ran like MODEM-ROUTER-NETWORK SWITCH. It doesn't assign any IP with out the router assigning it, its useless. I will use it for something sooner or later and really don't want to undo all my connection cause I finally got the PS3/PS2 and PC all to connect and am able to join games of other peoples.

Ultimately I will buy a new modem and FIX all this connection issue crap. Its been a headache for the last 3 years. The router I got now is a Belkin N' Surf and it only allows a 24HR DMZ so every day I have to go back in and open the DMZ up, really need a firewall-less router or a router that allows 4 to 10 open DMZ ports that would be cool, or just learn tons more about networking and figure out what this UPN forwarding is. I think its similar to the port forwarding, but when I tried to setup a open port it does nothing. A port checker still show the port is blocked so I figure I am using this wrong.

I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 and A Belkin N' Surf routers with a speed stream modem. This is a old modem I know and I wanted to upgrade but money has been a bit tight and the HD tvs was more important. :lol:

Oh and the network switch is a GX1008B, which would be cool if you didn't need a router in front of it. Also if you're interested in buying a router stay away from the Belkin N' Surf it sucks.

(gmt-5)

The Don
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Post by The Don »

I'm trying to wrap my head around your configuration. Why are you using two routers? Do you have it set up like modem->router->router? One router should be sufficient for most applications, and be less complex.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

The Don wrote:I'm trying to wrap my head around your configuration. Why are you using two routers? Do you have it set up like modem->router->router? One router should be sufficient for most applications, and be less complex.
Yea I am pretty confused by it as well. If you need a lot of different ports for connecting devices just attach a network switch after your router.

Scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

Ok most are confused and I am a bit also but here it is.

MODEM-ROUTER-ROUTER

DSL MODEM goes to router Belkin (Belkin has NO FIREWALL in general, i mean it has a firewall but allows a open DMZ for any device no problems) Belkin goes: Port (1)Router 2 (LINKSYS) (2)Black PS2 (3)PS2 Silver (4)? PC (its either windows 98 or i unplug that to connect to laptop to hard wire it in). LAPTOP and PS3 are usually wireless. Now LINKSYS is PORT (1)Vista XP card 1 (2)PS3 hardwired (3)FAT PS2 (4)OPEN for VISTA 2 and Windows XP

I know I should unhook some stuff but i got tired of hooking and unhooking everything over and over cause i had to hunt down the wires.

So if you followed I have 3 PS2/PS3/3PCs and a few confusing things. 7 out of 8 :oops: . Now i could hook the network switch up and run 1 router and everything on IP xxx.xxx.2.1 instead of having 2 routers and one being xxx.xxx.1.1 and the other being xxx.xxx.2.1. I figure this is what is causeing the error and connection problem. I figured this be a smart idea also using the network switch, till the Belkin got hacked and someone took a dump in my front lawn. The other router offers the security for vista it needs, which is where the Xlink program is installed. So far no one has hacked through it yet to my knowledge. Now I could put xlink on the laptop or XP but I don't like XP connecting to the internet unless I really really need it to because it has all my tools and private info stored on it and I get hacked allot.

I think I could hook the VISTA card 2 up to the network switch and the PS2 all up to it and it to the Belkin router giving that stuff a xxx.xxx.2.1 IP, this may allow a connection and be easily changed in the VISTA network setting according to what I am running. Still leaves the VISTA open unless you can block everything but 1 incoming connection through that card.???? Is that possible? I know a firewall can do it but idk if I have a clue of how to setup something like that without a guide to follow. :?: :?: :?: AND yet again am I confused LOL.......

Up and running, OK I got this way to work and the laptop way up and going and still have the other router going by

modem-router- (1)LINKSYS (2)? PC (3)Network HUB (4)OPEN
NETWORK HUB 1-vista card 2 then all the ps2's are on this and its assigning the IP xxx.xxx.2.x to all the stuff so I guess it just an IP issues after all.

YEA its allot of crap as I am told but its my configuration and i thought it to be 90% perfect till I just learned xlink doesn't work LOL. I mean Im either (A) Really Smart or (B) A total moron...either way I totally agree with you. I mean look at this crap

The way it once was

The way my PS2 was ran to rec and play on TV

The way it is now, well a bit has changed new PC monitor and that is only 1/3 the room and the duck tape is now on he left side.

The way it looks now kind of....Its really cool cause under thier is 2 devices that have the push buttons and allow you to change between the PS2 and PS3 and so fourth. Well the VHS is ran under the house into the cable wire meaning that everything is viewable from anywhere in the house, say Im in bed I can play PS3 from thier or in the living room..... NICE but its on a cable line instead of HDMI which stinks but makes the PC also runnable to any room like that.

Here is the mess to find the wires i must dig through.

(gmt-5)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Ok just plus the ps2 you are using and the PC with Xlink into your 1st router. That should solve the problem.

The Don
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Post by The Don »

Well, if you're taking advice, having nested routers like that will muddy the waters. Everything should be able to connect to the Internet, but your devices won't be able to communicate with one another. I'd use one router and your switch to give you enough ports. If you have security concerns with that Belkin router I'd use the other. Those old Linksys routers were solid before Cisco bought them out. Just ensure that you don't use the default password on your router (you can turn off remote administration altogether if you don't use it), and ensure that your wireless configuration is secure.
(gmt-5)

Scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

I used the Linsys for years now, and it doesn't allow the DMZ to be open right and its poor at port forwarding that is why I bought the Belkin, that and wireless. I had the worst connection issues and finally broke down and bough the belkin at a black Friday sale and now wish I would have just bought a better Modem.

I wasn't even thinking of the laptop till late last night and forgot about the hub till you guys mentioned it :oops:

(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Your problems with xlink and port forwarding might be due to your DSL internet connection. Many times the dsl "modem" they send you is really a router which blocks ports by default. So, when you setup port forwarding on your router it doesn't do anything because the ports have been blocked by the modem already.

I wrote about my experience with this problem a couple years ago. Maybe it can be helpful to you.
So, I had to move back to my parents house recently. I got my router all setup, both my parents pc and my pc could browse the internet at the same time alright. So, one would assume everything was setup right and port forwarding would be all that was needed to get my xlink kai to work.

Well, I tried port forwarding and this port checking program which I always have used before to check if my ports are open ( http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm ) was saying that port 30000 was still not open. I had setup a static ip on my pc and forwarded port 30000 to it in my router menu like I have done before, and nothing I did would work.

I tried doing this with other ports, I turned off my firewall, I even set my pc on dmz in the router and STILL, no ports were getting opened.

This made me realize the problem was not with my router, and was with my internet company. I have AT&T DSL Internet (known as SBC in other states)

I used google to just type in stuff about problems with my router and AT&T dsl internet and came upon some interesting forums where they were discussing that a lot of times AT&T "modems" really are routers in disguise. This was my problem.

The brand of my modem is "Westell" and it is a tiny black box that only has one ethernet jack, a jack for the phone chord, and a power chord jack. Here is a picture of it http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh21 ... name-2.jpg

AT&T always referred to it as a modem when dealing with them. It says nothing about it being a router on the top. In fact, it has a sticker on the top which twice only refers to the device as a "modem". However, when I turned it over, I saw in tiny print it said "adsl2 + router" and it gives you an ip address to type in to access the online option menu for the device. Even here it refers to the device as a "modem"

So, for anyone else that happens to have to this model of modem. I will tell you what I had to do in the modem menu to allow my router to function properly. Click on the "Advanced" button. The click on the "connection configuration" button that appears. Then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you will see it say this

"A very limited number of applications require that the public IP address assigned to the modem be used by the local LAN device."

Then it says "Let LAN device share Internet address?"

By default, the device is set to the "No, use private IP address" option. Instead of using that, change it to "Yes, use public IP address."

Once I did this and restarted my modem and router I could succesfully port forward using my router. Until you change this option in the modem menu, your modem is basically acting like the router, then your real router cannot do anything because everything is already blocked on the modem before it even reaches the router. That is why setting my router on dmz even still would not open any ports.

So yea, hope this helps some of you. AT&T DSL internet is pretty prominent around the area I live and I am sure they operate across the USA, even if their company name is slightly changed. Perhaps other DSL internet providers do this same thing, so if you have tried everything with your router and still have no success think about checking out your modem.
Xllink Kai aslo has a sticky about this on their forums that could be of further help. I only saw this sticky after I figured this problem out for myself hahah.

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27168