All GameSpy games on all platforms being shut down on May 31

Here we will post about changes to the site and will make announcements about other things important to the community.
jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Re: All GameSpy games on all platforms being shut down on Ma

Post by jacobgrocks »

Only a handful of games lack DNAS, and most of the ways around DNAS so far have been to generate fake IDs so you can run it with burnt copies. Depending on the game, DNAS might be harder to crack out, and would require more research as well.

However, there have been workarounds for patching out required keys in Nintendo's GameSpy implementation, so who knows what will happen. Knowing how fragmented the PS2 was, someone might find a way.

Also, at least a few games will be up forever. Midnight Club 2, THPS3, and Tribes are DNASless and have alternate master servers, and any game with LAN support will be as well.

(Though, I know DNAS is used with PSP's PSN implementation, so who knows if it will stay up longer, as the PSP is still being supported by Sony).

Bobz1993
Level 10: Delta Force: White Seagull Down
Xlink Kai username: bobz1993

Post by Bobz1993 »

Masquarr wrote:
Bobz1993 wrote:A bigger concern may be getting what we need to fake a DNAS server. Since whats left of PS2 gaming is run off GameSpy, when it goes down there is concern of DNAS being shutdown since there won't technically be anything left online.
Well, SaveMGO apparently found a way to patch out the DNAS check procedure from Metal Gear Solid 3. I've also heard rumors that there are DNAS-free ISOs of SOCOM II in circulation. If this is true, in theory, one could use the same methods to remove DNAS from the other games... but that's easier said than done. There were more than 50 Gamespy games that authenticated (or authenticate) to DNAS, in addition to more than 100 other games which rely on DNAS, that were hosted by other services.
Some of these patches will bypass DNAS, but most I know of only trick the server (WinDip patches). If the server were terminated there wouldn't be a server to trick. I'm not really suggesting we implement an entire replacement, just something that will allow the game to continue connecting to something so it can reach the next step.
Specifically supporting Mortal Kombat, Midnight Club 3, All Star Baseball 2005, THPS, Tribes:AA and other games supported by OpenSpy.
To connect use my DNS server, 67.249.158.107

Visit http://bobzent.info for more info.

FreddY
Level 11: Ratchet & Clank: Stay Out of My Arsenal!
Xlink Kai username: Razxr

Post by FreddY »

All hope is not lost.

(Cold Winter (PS2), hosting an online game)

(Area 51 (PS2), hosting an online game)

(50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3) Leaderboard)

(50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3) Co-Op Game Search)

(50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3) Online Game List)

JimMeister
Level 7: PacifistZone

Post by JimMeister »

How did you connect to Area 51 and Cold Winter?! Someone please answer me :)

JimMeister
Level 7: PacifistZone

Post by JimMeister »

Didn't think it was that hard of a quesiton

NosideZero
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: NosideZero

Post by NosideZero »

No more Battlefront II and Modern Combat? Damn.

Carlos96ps
Level 2: My Street Resident
Xlink Kai username: Carlos96ps

Post by Carlos96ps »

BTW DNAS uses SSLv2 and certifcate is 1024 key size.....

Can't OpenSpy , SaveMGO and OBRV share toughts?

I don't like LAN vs Server? I choose server.

daps2
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!

Post by daps2 »

Please support me, a dns is being developed that will work with any gamespy games which includes ones that require log in (for example i was playing ToCA Race Driver 3 today!)

This also includes battlefield 2 modern combat. Account creation works as does searching for games, all we need now is some files from ea to host a dedicated server. Please support the cause here; http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-2/ ... -p/3779747 (and then do the same here http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10274747.page )
And tell ea how nice it would be of them to help bring back this classic game by just giving us those few files!