New LAN tunneling software for consoles released. "XBSlink"

Here we will post about changes to the site and will make announcements about other things important to the community.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

New LAN tunneling software for consoles released. "XBSlink"

Post by lazyhoboguy »

XBSlink (New LAN tunneling Software)

http://www.secudb.de/~seuffert/xbslink/faq

I just heard about this software moments ago and I am quite excited. XBSlink is LAN Tunneling software like Xlink Kai, so it can let you play LAN consoles games thorugh the internet in a similar way. It is also FREE software.

It supports the Playstation 2 along with many other consoles (just like Xlink Kai).

Proof (in theory):
Does XBSlink work with the Playstation 3/2 (PS3/PS2)?

Yes. It was tested and working by entering the Playstation MAC address in the "always forward Mac List" in XBSlink. It might also work by enabling the "advanced forwarding of broadcasts" option in XBSLink.
A difference is that it uses peer to peer connections, meaning it doesn't use servers like xlink kai to connect to users. Instead, it directly connects you to other LAN tunnelers. This could be really great since it sounds like this LAN tunneling software is more future proof than Xlink Kai, since the latter program is dependent on people running servers for the program to work.

From their FAQ:
How is XBSlink different to Xlink Kai/xbconnect?

In difference to other Systemlink proxies, XBSlink is purely P2P with no server infrastructure. No server connection or specialized game browser service is necessary. You are not dependent on any other factors. All packets in and out are 100% between the client nodes itself. The program was developed to get the last bit of speed/ping time thats possible. And to know, that no other data than the game packets itself is send to the internet.
I will read up on this software some more and hopefully can try it out with somebody else if they are interested.

Even if this works, don't know if this will be better or worse than Xlink Kai for Playstation 2 LAN Tunneling, but it's always great to have more alternatives.

Even before this there were other LAN Tunneling applications besides Xlink Kai, but Xlink Kai is supposedly much less complicated to setup than them and is why we use it.

*Edit* IRON_PIMP was the one who informed me of this. Ran into him on Xlink Kai.

Also, more info about this new LAN tunneling program is in this thread: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... 22070&st=0

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Re: New LAN tunneling software for consoles released. "XBSli

Post by Mytho »

I'm up for trying it out with you lazy. Maybe our internets will actually play nice with this program? :lol:

Also, I'll be sure to grab ATV 4 next time I'm home. I seriously hope we can get that game to work.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I messed around with the program a little bit, seems a lot less user friendly than Xlink Kai. But if it works, still will be cool to have.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Sounds like it is easiar to set up. P2P is better than normal server connections in most cases.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

It is, and it isn't. Lazy and I did some testing and got it to work for TimeSplitters Future Perfect. He should be posting a guide soon.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Yea after an hour or so of messing around we got XBSlink working with Timesplittters: Future Perfect and Jak X: Combat Racing. Will say how we got it working step by step when I get some time.

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

Cool news. :)
I wouldn't mind trying this out.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Tested this with Favrenation as well, and got it working. Will try to write up how to do it later today. *edit* well might be too busy tonight, but will try to write this up as soon as I can.

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Post by IRON_PIMP »

Hello everyone,
I have tested XBSlink with multiple consoles, PS2, Xbox1, Xbox 360.
They all work very well IMO, better than KAI, well not as freindly as KAI. Sure is a lot more freindly than Leaf networks though
Can not really say better as I have not gamed with more than 2 gamers so far.
For those of you that have the 360, this does NOT bypass the ping limit, so if you're not close, you won't connect unless jtag (Just wanted to throw that in there cause I game on all consoles, both LIVE and Tunnel)
Nothing really to set up though, there is a small tut in the help file tab on the program, but you may still have to port forward through a router and firewall.
Then, forward packets to the consoles you are using. You can have multiple MAC ID's in the box, it detects them autmatically
Also, I'll try to get on here a little more often than so if anyone needs help with this, I'll be happy to lend a hand.
There is a new version that works with linux. 0.8.4.0
http://www.secudb.de/~seuffert/xbslink/xbslink-download

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

For anyone wondering what has been going on with our testing of XBSlink, we have gotten it to work somewhat, but we are have not figured out a surefire way to make it work for everyone. The method we used did not require port forwarding and it seemed to work fine when only 2 people played together, but we ran into problems hosting when a bunch of us tried to play at once. The only person that could host consistently was Favrenation (who has no firewall on his router), so I assume you must portforward to your PC for XBSlink to work consistently.

Unfortunately, Mytho and I are not in situations where we can setup port forwarding at the moment since we don't have permission to mess with that where we live.

So, it leaves a small amount of people who are capable of port forwarding to test this out.

*Cough Cough *Favrenation, Noonotthat, Nosferatu*

I will post our semi-crappy method of getting XBSlink to work soon, but it has problems and will not be an end all guide on using XBSlink. More testing is required to find a sure way to get the program working every time.