DNAS,DNS, Wiki and more....

Here we will post about changes to the site and will make announcements about other things important to the community.
Viscosity
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

DNAS,DNS, Wiki and more....

Post by Viscosity »

Quite a lot has happened on the scene recently. The first and probably most important if that the user no23 has been able to create a custom DNAS server that passes games that were able to be tested. A full list can be found here: forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1990. Luckily and sadly, DNAS has reportedly shut down for good according to multiple users on the site. That means that we aren't able to capture any more games that could work with this server but we are lucky in that we were able to save the ones that we could.

With DNAS being taken care of for a good number of games, I plan on working on listing all the games that can be played online along with a uniform DNS that can work for as many games as possible. If anyone knows of specific domains to forward please let me know as I will be working on this one game at a time.

Another major announcement is that I created a wiki to the site which you can get to here: wiki/index.php/Main_Page. I have it setup so you can sign in with your user and password from the forum. Any user can create and edit pages. If you run into issues please let me know. The plan is to have connection guides, gameplay guides, and dns/server setup tutorials posted on there so we don't clutter the forum with multiple stickies. I will try to copy over all the guides we have onto the wiki when I get the chance but please feel free to add any pages you want to. The aim for this to have a large collection of information related to online play and the console in general in a central location that is easy to access and update.

With the closure of DNAS, we have finally entered a new era of PS2 online gaming. I am astonished at how long official servers for games have lasted for this system and to think that DNAS was still hosted by Sony 16 years past the consoles initial launch date is incredible. With a large number of LAN games and unofficial servers available, the need for a central place to connect and get information and schedule is as important as ever. It will be interesting to see how the community changes in the coming years but nevertheless, I plan to keep this site up as long as I can if not for the community, then for the information that is available here. Thanks to all the users who posted and lurked on this lame site over the years. You guys are what keeps the site going.

Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Re: DNAS,DNS, Wiki and more....

Post by Hunk91 »

That's great Vicosity!

I will try to buy a video capture device and make videos or images captures of the network settings for some games network configuration.
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

Mike4Real
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by Mike4Real »

I don't understand how DNAS can be down for some games, and up for other games. From my understanding its just 1 central server for all of the games that use it to authenticate. If that was the case and it was down, wouldn't every game that has a DNAS authentication step stop working at the same time? Why does SWBF2 still work? Is there more than one DNAS server? That's the only explanation I can think of.

I am down to post all the SWBF2 info and guides I have on your wiki, that is, if you plan to do a page for separate games. One unified solution to many games would be great if we could make that happen. The easier it is for people to play their old games online the better, I even wish we could make most of the old default DNS's functional again, that way even people unaware of the shutdowns could just put their PS2 games into their system and they would just work. That would be awesome.

edit: For example, why would SWBFspy (Primary DNS set to 74.91.125.138) still be working? This is the redirects they have setup in their DNS table:
gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org 203.105.78.162
gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org 203.105.78.163
gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org 203.105.78.164
Wouldn't these Sony IPs have stopped responding to requests by now?

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

DNAS is down for all games AFAIK. But like I said, no23 here made a custom DNAS server that some of the DNS's point to. Only games that were submitted before they went down work on it though so there are other games that don't work.

Mike4Real
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed

Post by Mike4Real »

Okay I think I was wrong in my last post. There's still some stuff I don't understand but... I was assuming the people that were playing were using SWBFspy 74.91.125.138 but I think they are actually using 186.34.189.167. And that's Christians's DNS, he configured his DNS listings to work with this new bypass system and that's why its working I suppose?

Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

Mike4Real wrote:Okay I think I was wrong in my last post. There's still some stuff I don't understand but... I was assuming the people that were playing were using SWBFspy 74.91.125.138 but I think they are actually using 186.34.189.167. And that's Christians's DNS, he configured his DNS listings to work with this new bypass system and that's why its working I suppose?
Yes that's it!
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

lilmoeblack
Level 2: My Street Resident

Post by lilmoeblack »

Hay guys it is your boy lilmoeblack! Im here with a new dns I found on a website. Type in your EA configure: 186.34.212.90
Im on crash 'n' burn ps2 right now! Play me if you want :D

DonkeyKong
Level 22: Rogue Soldier

Post by DonkeyKong »

lilmoeblack wrote:Hay guys it is your boy lilmoeblack! Im here with a new dns I found on a website. Type in your EA configure: 186.34.212.90
This is Christian's DNS and it doesn't work with EA titles, except I guess you can log in BF2 with it.

lilmoeblack

Post by lilmoeblack »

DonkeyKong wrote:
lilmoeblack wrote:Hay guys it is your boy lilmoeblack! Im here with a new dns I found on a website. Type in your EA configure: 186.34.212.90
This is Christian's DNS and it doesn't work with EA titles, except I guess you can log in BF2 with it.

I just logged in on burnout revenge. just use the dns i put down from that website. After you save it to your memcard, go back to the use to be gamespy game and log in to your account. Im on right now seriously

lilmoeblack

Post by lilmoeblack »

And if you have mnc2 or cnb then i will be able to play with you/yall