SOCOM, Amplitude, and/or SOCOM II 7/24-8/2

Create a thread here to schedule a time to play PS2 games online through their normal servers.
teamR@@K!E
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!

Re: SOCOM, Amplitude, and/or SOCOM II 7/24-8/2

Post by teamR@@K!E »

Amplitude ripped off a game called Frequency

Amplitude is still good and if Frequency would of done better i don't think Amplitude would of came out

It's still sad to see an old school game going offline

EthanE3Eves
Level 2: My Street Resident
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by EthanE3Eves »

Whoa whoa woah, hold yer horses, partner! =P

Frequency is the prequel to Amplitude. Amplitude and Frequency were both made by Harmonix; because of that, neither could have possibly ripped off each other. Guitar Hero was also made by Harmonix, which used these games as its base. Yadda yadda.

I really wish Amplitude and Frequency would have been more popular. They were really out there for music games at the time. Maybe someday we'll see a resurgence of games like this...
(gmt-5)

I am an oldschool AMPLITUDE player. Contact me if you want to game it up!

teamR@@K!E

Post by teamR@@K!E »

well that's cooL
I bought Frequency a long time ago and even a longer time ago i received a ps2 demo disc with a bunch of demo games on it and one of the games was frequency and you could play it online, with the demo

then when the full game finally came out, it was offline only
i felt short changed

i feel frequency was a better game, there seemed to be more power ups and you could mess up the other person in heads up matches
the colors, the maps, and the tunes i just think was better

FreddY
Level 11: Ratchet & Clank: Stay Out of My Arsenal!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Razxr

Post by FreddY »

teamR@@K!E wrote:I bought Frequency a long time ago and even a longer time ago i received a ps2 demo disc with a bunch of demo games on it and one of the games was frequency and you could play it online, with the demo

then when the full game finally came out, it was offline only
i felt short changed
Frequency was released in North America on November 20, 2001. When the PS2 Network Adapter was released the following year, online play was added to Frequency with an online-capable demo version (4 songs), supplied with the network adapter. The original disk could also be swapped after loading the demo disk, allowing online play with all songs.

EthanE3Eves wrote:I really wish Amplitude and Frequency would have been more popular. They were really out there for music games at the time. Maybe someday we'll see a resurgence of games like this...
Harmonix will be releasing the controller-based Rock Band Blitz for PlayStation 3 on August 28 and Xbox 360 on August 29 for $14.99.

Literally two days before Amplitude goes offline forever.

EthanE3Eves

Post by EthanE3Eves »

Yeah, Frequency had a bit more going for it, I'd say. There was a bit more creativity that could be thrown in the remix mode, with axe and scratch sections able to be recorded and not simply done on the fly as in Amplitude, and the fluid section transitions.

Frequency also had a much stricter timing window, whereas you could almost be off by an entire 16th note on Amp, and you'd still be able to hit the note. On the flip side, you could make some really neat maneuvers if you got the hang of it.

There was also the disc swap feature that they had originally planned on implementing to allow expansion discs to be loaded, adding more songs into the selection. Pretty much proto-DLC. It would've been amazing! (Maybe we wouldn't have an Amplitude if that would've worked out)

The only thing I feel would've made Frequency's multiplayer absolutely golden would've been if the tracks stayed on instead of turning off as soon as you completed them. Might just be me, but I enjoy hearing the entire song as I play it.

@FreddY: I've heard of Rock Band Blitz, and I was really excited for it; sadly, I looked at gameplay videos, and it just doesn't seem to be what I had hoped. I mean, I wouldn't mind buying it to try it out, but if I recall correctly, it won't have multiplayer either. Bummer. Pretty crazy how it's being released two days after the SOCOM servers get pulled. :/

I still have yet to try Rock Band Unplugged, but it seems like the closest link to Harmonix's earliest console titles. Now if only it had remix mode!
(gmt-5)

teamR@@K!E

Post by teamR@@K!E »

i thought the demo came out before the game

but that's kind of funny, that's another thing i liked about frequency was that
if you didn't want to here a part of a song, you just don't play it

on some songs I'd just play the base and no lyrics, then it would be lead and lyrics
i would purposely do it to my liking, it made the songs more enjoyable at times

the remix version was incredible if you had the patience to achieve something and save it

I liked the tunnel vision more on frequency

i remember holding down the d pad and just doing 360s down the tube

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

I'd like to play some SOCOM 2 online as I have yet to play it online even though I've owned it for over a year. I'm not usually free later in the day (after 6pm EST), but I do have work off Wednesday and Thursday.

Also, a question...are the servers being shut down on 8/2? Or is that just when the playing period specified in this thread happens to end?

waldotime
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2

Post by waldotime »

30 days left of my street. amplititude and all the psp and ps2 socoms.
your good for another month. im assuming at 3 a.m eastern time on 9/1 you will get a disconnected error

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

EthanE3Eves, FreddY and I are about to go online in Amplitude.
(gmt-4)

EthanE3Eves

Post by EthanE3Eves »

And it was so.
(gmt-5)