Twisted Metal Black Online

Create a thread here to schedule a time to use LAN tunneling (Xlink Kai) to play Playstation 2 games online.
maartyrr
Level 4: Rumble Group
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: maartyrr

Twisted Metal Black Online

Post by maartyrr »

First and foremost - very awesome site. TMBO was my all time favorite game back when it came out in 2002. I was heartbroken when the servers went down and I'm dieing to relive the carnage once again. I have a 60 gig ps3 that has the network configuration installed on it, both my ps3 and pc are running off of a wireless router.

I'm usually free from 8pm - 12am monday thru friday

So I'm curious, what are the rules/settings that you guys play by?
Do you play teams or is it free for all?

* I haven't had a chance to play anyone with xlink - so I'm not 100% that my setup is correct
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Twisted Metal Black Online

Post by lazyhoboguy »

maartyrr wrote:First and foremost - very awesome site. TMBO was my all time favorite game back when it came out in 2002. I was heartbroken when the servers went down and I'm dieing to relive the carnage once again. I have a 60 gig ps3 that has the network configuration installed on it, both my ps3 and pc are running off of a wireless router.

I'm usually free from 8pm - 12am monday thru friday

So I'm curious, what are the rules/settings that you guys play by?
Do you play teams or is it free for all?

* I haven't had a chance to play anyone with xlink - so I'm not 100% that my setup is correct
Welcome to the site man. We usually do free for all when we play TMBO. I usually let other people host so I don't know all the settings used. We often switch things up and play deathmatches where damage dealt or net damage decide the winner.

You probably are going to have spend some time setting up Xlink kai. You will need a wired connection to your PS3 for it to work. If you have more questions about setting up for Xlink Kai please start a thread or reply to one in the Getting Setup for PS2 Online and LAN Tunneling section of the site.

maartyrr

Post by maartyrr »

I think I'm set up and good to go, nothing on xlink has timed out after I made a couple of adjustments. Oh man I can't wait...

My main concern with the rules were: do you guys use healths (full/partial) Are any of the cars banned?

I remember when the game was still on the ps2 servers a whole group of us would play 4vs4 team last man standing mode (no healths) that was always a white knuckle blast til the end.

Regardless of the game types, I'm just praying this works right out of the gate
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I don't know about using ps2 games on ps3 for xlink kai, but at least for using xlink kai for ps3 games, a wired connection is the only way it works from what I have heard and tested myself.

Here is a guide on how to get xlink kai working for ps3 games:

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 90798f5918

Here is a guide for using ps2 games on a ps3 with Xlink Kai:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 90798f5918

I don't know how good those above guides are since I don't have a backwards compatible ps3.

Make sure you download and install version 7.3.1.7 of Xlink Kai as the newer versions do not work with ps2 or ps3.

You can get that version here:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 7475524de3

maartyrr

Post by maartyrr »

Thanks, Just downloaded the older version. I'll get to test it out tonight
(gmt-5)

maartyrr

Post by maartyrr »

Mr Chale and I are playing some TMBO if anyone wants to join us feel free.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Ah, happy to see you got Xlink Kai working without too much hassle. So did you end up getting it to work while your PC and PS3 were both on a wireless connection?

I saw your post too late to make the game, will try to make the next one. We have weekly Sunday games where we vote for the game each week. TMBO ends up winning fairly regularly.

maartyrr

Post by maartyrr »

I switched my config around for now and used all wired connnections.

Something happened during our 5th match, we had gotten a network error. After we both exited the room, we couldn't see each other games that we were hosting. My ps3 was connected successfully and my network was reachable, but neither one of us could see each other's game

edit: who is the current top player out of your group?
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

That error you experienced was probably Xlink Kai itself having a problem. It has been running a bit worse than usual the past few months because a lot of japanese PSP users have all of a sudden been using it. So lately Xlink Kai has been going down alot because it can't handle that many users. Check Xlink Kai's homepage when you are having trouble. If the homepage is down or you see 4000 users on xlink kai or more, it probably will not be working correctly.

I can't really say who the top player is. It's definitely not me lol.

maartyrr

Post by maartyrr »

Mr Chale and I will be battling it out tonight around 1230/ 1 Est. Join in the mayhem!
(gmt-5)