Timesplitters Future Perfect (11/13/10)

Go here to see which online PS2 games our community has been playing. Also, go here to discuss a specific online match you played in.

So, if you met up with some community members for an online match, feel free to post a thread here to start up some discussion about that specific game.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Timesplitters Future Perfect (11/13/10)

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Participating Community Members

mytho
noonotthat
favrenation
lazyhoboguy
nosferatu

This was our 8th weekly game of Timesplitters Future Perfect.Well we only played for a very short time, because since no one else showed up for the first hour, we headed over to XBSlink to try troubleshooting on that a bit. We kind of sacrificed the night to trying to get that working. We had a lot of difficulty with it, and in my opinion it doesn't seem easier to setup than xlink kai and we should probably stick with Xlink Kai for the forseeable future, as XBSlink has its own set of problems. However, we did seem to make a bit of progress and maybe after further testing we can make it work easier.

Lt. Surge
Level 8: COD2 BRO-ther
Xlink Kai username: ltsurge695

Re: Timesplitters Future Perfect (11/13/10)

Post by Lt. Surge »

I have a lot of respect for all of you. This includes you, Favre.

But that goddamn program is annoying as hell. After I woke up from that night a week ago where we did our own troubleshooting, it seemed as if I was back with lazyhobo asking the same question about [insert networking jargon here] over and over and over again about Xlink... "oh well perhaps if I operate in this mode... if I go into command prompt and get the IP... Subnet mask? Does that do anything? Oh wait... wait I have to set this Port..." holy fck Jesus fcking Christ please no more. No more! Please GOD no more!

I have uninstalled XBSLink and until something much simpler replaces XLink or XLink has a catastrophic failure I'm not convinced that it's any better.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Lt. Surge wrote:I have a lot of respect for all of you. This includes you, Favre.

But that goddamn program is annoying as hell. After I woke up from that night a week ago where we did our own troubleshooting, it seemed as if I was back with lazyhobo asking the same question about [insert networking jargon here] over and over and over again about Xlink... "oh well perhaps if I operate in this mode... if I go into command prompt and get the IP... Subnet mask? Does that do anything? Oh wait... wait I have to set this Port..." holy fck Jesus fcking Christ please no more. No more! Please GOD no more!

I have uninstalled XBSLink and until something much simpler replaces XLink or XLink has a catastrophic failure I'm not convinced that it's any better.
Pretty much how I feel. They seem about equally difficult in getting setup. But, we have years of experience using Xlink Kai so we know what to do to get it setup. XBSlink is still a frustrating troubleshooting puzzle at this point. But this program could be very valuable in the future since its not dependent on privately run servers to work. If Xlink Kai's servers go down the program is useless. XBSlink alllows you to direct connect to people and allows you to host your own servers.

Lt. Surge

Post by Lt. Surge »

lazyhoboguy wrote:
Pretty much how I feel. They seem about equally difficult in getting setup. But, we have years of experience using Xlink Kai so we know what to do to get it setup. XBSlink is still a frustrating troubleshooting puzzle at this point. But this program could be very valuable in the future since its not dependent on privately run servers to work. If Xlink Kai's servers go down the program is useless. XBSlink alllows you to direct connect to people and allows you to host your own servers.

I think I was mad about something else when I wrote that up but yeah I forgot to say that I believe it would be useful in the future...

Don't get me wrong, I think it COULD replace XLink forever, but there has to be a simple way to configure things without having to tamper with things like my PS3's information.

Either way, if you guys want to troubleshoot XBSLink sometime, I will be willing to reinstall. Hopefully there will be entertainment on the side as I imagine troubleshooting for hours can get on your nerves without something like that. Then again, you did help me configure XLink.

Oh, before I forget, what are the advantages to not having to rely on XLink's servers? I don't have my own server and if I'm not mistaken owning server space is a bit costly...

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

you can direct connect so you don't need s server and you can host your own masterlist for people hosting games so it will work forever as long as someone wants to use it.

Lt. Surge

Post by Lt. Surge »

But then why do we even need Internet servers to play games like those hosted by EA Games? The GUI? Menus?

If we can connect players with no server down-times or severs period, is it simply because something like XBSLink didn't exist before that we'd need that?

@__@

@__@

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

That has nothing to do with what this is. XLINK and XBS are LAN tunneling programs. they trick the LAN mode into going over the internet. Normal online servers are better because they are easier to use (most of the time) and have less lag. You can direct connect to servers on certain game like Quake 3 but you still need a server to connect to. What happens is when EA shuts their servers down you can't connect and you can't play anymore. Unless they release the server software or someone reverse engineers another one like PSO then your stuck with LAN tunneling if it has a LAN mode. Tribes servers got shutdown but someone recreated a master list so people can still play it online. It still has a LAN mode though so you can still play it.

Nihil8
Xlink Kai username: Nihil8

Post by Nihil8 »

i'll have to make next week,i've been getting my fps fix on l4d2 and bioshock for the last two weeks so i think i am ready to do some tsfp soon
Currently have: Project Snowblind(2)/Timesplitters:Future Perfect(2)/Killzone/ Cold Winter/S.W. Battlefront2/Splinter Cell:Pandora Tomorrow

(2) = (i have two copies and running two Ps2's)

(gmt-8)