Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
MrGame20
Level 1: Deer Hunter

Re: Sony may shut down DNAS server by March 2016

Post by MrGame20 »

MGS3 did something most games didn't, they had DNAS report back that the game was offline. Most games even after their servers are gone you can pass right through DNAS and hit the real server, which is offline and you error out there. The effect is the same, you cannot connect t the real server, the thing blocking it is different though, MGS had the real server offline AND has DNAS turning away any connection attempt, most games just have the server offline.

It is possible to disable it in other games the same way, I know obsrv.org (Resident Evil) and their server already has the cheat codes ready to go if they become necessary. Other games using DNAS can have it patched also the downside is that you need to be able to patch, which requires using a cheat disk, homebrew, or running modified ISOs.

DonkeyKong
Level 22: Rogue Soldier

Post by DonkeyKong »

You know some games get error -103 ,means "This software is out of service"The developers could just contact Sony and discontinue DNAS support of their title ,in order players can't access privat server.

Hunk91
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: Hunk91

Post by Hunk91 »

Thank you MrGame20 for all your explanations!

I would recommend everybody to buy a free mcboot memory card on ebay to be sure to continue to play online. Like this you would be able to launch elfs adn may be some future elfs which may skip the DNAS check.

Recreating a DNAS server would be to complicated and time consuming. The best would be to skip DNAS as you said. For this there are 2 methods :

1) you may need to apply a patch which will remove DNAS chek but you will need 1 patch per game (too many games to cover)

2) use an Elf which will skip the DNAS chek when you launch your game (real physical disk), or backup.

The second option will be better. I know that you can input a DNAS ID with OPL, and this is checked by the DNAS server. May be with a future version of OPL they will completly remove DNAS check. But this will have to be asked to the developpers of OPL.
\\FAT PAL PS2 + Internal 64GB SD Card + FMCB 1.953 + OPL 0.9.3
\\PCSX2 1.40 + CLR DEV9 V0.8.2 (Playing via Wifi!)

Playing: B.O File#1&2, SWBF I&II,Sniper Elite, Area 51, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, T.M.B.O, C.O.D 3, M.G.S.3.O

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

So when it will close we'll always get such error
-104 sceDNAS2_SS_END_OF_SERVICE All DNAS services have stopped. "DNAS Error
(-104) The network authentication server is not in service."

daps2

Post by daps2 »

DonkeyKong wrote:So when it will close we'll always get such error
Yes a good example of this is mario kart wii which somes up with network service discontinued or something like that. After a bit though it will probably just be - dnas timed out.

However I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves though, sony is now emulating ps2 on ps4 which would suggest perhaps they may bring back SONY titles such as socom back online (just guessing though) odds are they would just boot up the old server and there you have it and that would mean the ps2 copies may work again which would need dnas...

Other way though is they re release these games but completely rewrite server so no need for dnas. But dont forget there is probably still quite a large flow of traffic through the dnas server as it is for ps2 and psp.

However when it does go offline it is nice to see people such as mrgame know how to add workarounds :D .

On a side note do i need to make a back up of a mgo game for it to work and add some new files or will original work if so i will go buy it( which one is it that you guys have revived and do pal copies work?)(i have swap magic 3 coder if that helps) ? I will go check out that savemgo.com site :D

Edit- is this live stats ? https://savemgo.com/mgo2/games.php
Thanks

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

I think they may shut DNAS ,in order don't let original PS2 users access new servers,if they re-release some ps2 games with working online.Now it's cheaper to buy licensed copy on ebay(not for me,because shipping to Ukraine costs like 3 such copies)
then buy it on PSN.And you can also burn 0.50 dollar disk ,patch ISO and go online.
So the only way to play Sony games:SOCOM,Ratchet and Clank,Killzone;to pray that Sony will make some events and online for that games will be shortly available.Like Sega made for Dreamcast version of PSO in 2006.
P.S Some years ago I talked with guy who tricked to go online on Killzone (after CentralStation went offline and before Killzone servers shut down) using newly registered PSN account.Think about it ,maybe it's the right way.TRUTH IS OUT THERE.
P.S.2 Do you think if there will be playable online for PS2 games for PS4 ,will you have to pay for PS Plus in order to play it? :D

daps2

Post by daps2 »

DonkeyKong wrote:I think they may shut DNAS ,in order don't let original PS2 users access new servers,if they re-release some ps2 games with working online.Now it's cheaper to buy licensed copy on ebay(not for me,because shipping to Ukraine costs like 3 such copies)
then buy it on PSN.And you can also burn 0.50 dollar disk ,patch ISO and go online.
So the only way to play Sony games:SOCOM,Ratchet and Clank,Killzone;to pray that Sony will make some events and online for that games will be shortly available.Like Sega made for Dreamcast version of PSO in 2006.
P.S Some years ago I talked with guy who tricked to go online on Killzone (after CentralStation went offline and before Killzone servers shut down) using newly registered PSN account.Think about it ,maybe it's the right way.TRUTH IS OUT THERE.
P.S.2 Do you think if there will be playable online for PS2 games for PS4 ,will you have to pay for PS Plus in order to play it? :D
No idea but I know sony is selling some (offline) ps2 games on ps4 and charging like $15!!! I see them bringing a few online games back since sites like this exist and have member and people who still play, then there's the thousands wanting to relive the past A.K.A it is a new market for them to explore- Make money

Vedita BR
Level 17: Silly Sam: Previous Encounter
Xlink Kai username: LtCarlos

Post by Vedita BR »

DonkeyKong wrote:So when it will close we'll always get such error
They will just take down the server, it will not respond anymore, so the error will be a timed out connection.

This skiping DNAS look like.

Code: Select all

sceDNAS2InitNoHDD 0x0032E770
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2AuthGetUniqueID 0x0032E950
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2Shutdown 0x0032EB18
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2Abort 0x0032EE10
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2GetStatus 0x0032EF28
li $a1, 5
sw $a1, 0($a0)
li $a1, 0x4000004
sw $a1, 4($a0)
li $a1, 3
sw $a1, 8($a0)
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2SetProxy 0x0032EF88
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2GetProxy 0x0032F020
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0

sceDNAS2AuthNetStart 0x0032F280
jr $ra
lui $v0, 0
PlayStation® 2 System
SCPH-90010, 39001, SCE Modem/Ethernet (Network Adaptor)
OPL 0.9.X WIP

METAL GEAR ONLINE is BACK! SaveMGO.com
-Vedita BR / Fury-K96

BevP99
Level 9: Greg Hasting's Competition Squirtguns Max'd
Xlink Kai username: rocker9375

Post by BevP99 »

I was literally trying this out, I am going to have to get some cheat software ELF file off the iso zone. I can't be bothered right now, it is 12:58AM

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

Vedita BR wrote:They will just take down the server, it will not respond anymore, so the error will be a timed out connection.
Maybe,it will be like on PSP when you trying to access PS Store you don't get message about service end,just time out.But they can just leave this message or we will see it for a short time before they will complete shut it down.