URGENT! DNAS SHUTDOWN

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
daps2
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Re: URGENT! DNAS SHUTDOWN

Post by daps2 »

UPDATE:

Qtracker dns should allow you temporarily through DNAS using the manual workaround

daps2

Post by daps2 »

Interestingly Sony have replied to me with a load of ports to try and open and settings to change, in other words they are not telling me the service has been discontinued but that i have an issue on my side. I am not sure the support staff have even been informed of the shutdown! I am going to try and find a live chat option on the playstation site

DonkeyKong
Level 22: Rogue Soldier

Post by DonkeyKong »

I also contacted support ,but I only got "Unfortunately the technical service for PlayStation 2 has been discontinued."

daps2

Post by daps2 »

Viscosity wrote:The main issue is that sony own the key to their ssl connection. Using that would be illegal unless we reverse engineered it which is pretty much cracking it. The first thing to do would probably to edit the https lines of the game to http and setup an http proxy/tunnel that handles the ssl on a server for you. This would enable you to be able to see the unencrypted traffic from the DNAS. This is what people did when gamespy was going down for reverse engineering the wii games.
Anyone know how to do this? We can still use the workaround to test and packet capture as much as possible!

Update;
Psp stuff has gone down suggesting all DNAS rated stuff is now offline!
On PSP
"On March 31, 2016, the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Portable (PSP®) system in the SCEA region will be closed. PSP system users will be able to purchase PSP content from the web-based PlayStation Store at store.playstation.com, and also access past purchases from the Download list on their PSP system. Users will continue to have the ability to make in-game purchases from their PSP system.

Select PSP games are also available for purchase on the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Vita system users."

Mike4Real
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by Mike4Real »

Hey guys, I have a question about DNAS because I do not fully understand what happened in April. Right now, people say that DNAS went down on April 4th, 2016. And it all started because of the information related to Final Fantasy XI. The Wikipedia article for DNAS even cites this forum topic for stating that DNAS was shut down.

What I do not understand is why certain games that clearly use DNAS are still fully operational despite this. Around early April when all this news was spreading, it seems like there were issues with getting past the DNAS authentication screen on Star Wars Battlefront 2. However a mere one day later, those issues were gone.

SWBF2 was operating on GameSpy, before it stopped working in July of 2014 (many games and articles will say different dates, but the Battlefront 2 GameSpy server list specifically stopped working in July 2014). For the past 2 years SWBF2 was run on a service called GameMaster, which basically involved changing the Primary DNS address in our network connection settings. It is very similar to OpenSpy or other methods used on other games. From 2014-2016 the game DNAS authenticated as always. GameMaster is closing down around this time and we are potentially moving on to a new workaround with a different DNS number run by the people over SWBFgamers.com. While testing out their new workaround it also seems that DNAS authenticates just fine.

So my question is, how is it possible for Star Wars Battlefront 2 to have a DNAS authentication screen that works, up until now, well past April 4th, 2016? Do GameSpy workarounds somehow affect DNAS, perhaps bypassing it? Is it possible that DNAS was only shutdown for one or some games? I think that this would be odd because as I understood it DNAS was one entity, and not game specific. Finally, is it possible that it actually was not shut down?
Last edited by Mike4Real on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

daps2

Post by daps2 »

Mike4Real wrote:Hey guys, I have a question about DNAS because I do not fully understand what happened in April. Right now, people say that DNAS went down on April 4th, 2016. And it all started because of the information related to Final Fantasy XII. The Wikipedia article for DNAS even cites this forum topic for stating that DNAS was shut down.

What I do not understand is why certain games that clearly use DNAS are still fully operational despite this. Around early April when all this news was spreading, it seems like there were issues with getting past the DNAS authentication screen on Star Wars Battlefront 2. However a mere one day later, those issues were gone.

SWBF2 was operating on GameSpy, before it stopped working in July of 2014 (many games and articles will say different dates, but the Battlefront 2 GameSpy server list specifically stopped working in July 2014). For the past 2 years SWBF2 was run on a service called GameMaster, which basically involved changing the Primary DNS address in our network connection settings. It is very similar to OpenSpy or other methods used on other games. From 2014-2016 the game DNAS authenticated as always. GameMaster is closing down around this time and we are potentially moving on to a new workaround with a different DNS number run by the people over SWBFgamers.com. While testing out their new workaround it also seems that DNAS authenticates just fine.

So my question is, how is it possible for Star Wars Battlefront 2 to have a DNAS authentication screen that works, up until now, well past April 4th, 2016? Do GameSpy workarounds somehow affect DNAS, perhaps bypassing it? Is it possible that DNAS was only shutdown for one or some games? I think that this would be odd because as I understood it DNAS was one entity, and not game specific. Finally, is it possible that it actually was not shut down?
Hi, (i edited that wikipedia article :D )
DNAS was shut down FOR PS2 on 4th April but remains up as it is used by other sony products (i kinda got that confirmed by Sony). SwbfII was able to pass through after this date as a person found a workaround to forward the ps2 to DNAS by manually editing the address into the server and forwarded this info onto Kalle and other server hosts. Therefore DNAS remains active till Sony no longer needs it for other products or realises that a workaround has been found and block it. This could be as close as a few minutes or as far as way as 10 years from heppening. We just have no idea when the inevitable will occur.

The DNAS server uses a certificate only SONY has and we would be unable to retrieve it as for obvious reasons it is encrypted. For now you wont need to do anything as long as you put the following into your server,

Hostname-------------------------->Host IP Address
gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org-->203.105.78.163
gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org-->203.105.78.162
gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org-->203.105.78.164

When it does shutdown for good you either need to start monitoring DNAS now and hope to find a loop hole to set up your own server (very unlikely and not to mention highly illegal!!) or you patch your game to get rid of DNAS.(only required once the server is fully shutdown)

Hope this helps and you are able to keep that epic game alive :D

JamesCableCar

Post by JamesCableCar »

just a quick mention, Christians DNS has changed once again, it is now 186.34.189.167

Use this for Area 51, COD 3 etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
My PS2 YouTube account = http://www.youtube.com/user/jamesxfm1049?feature=mhee

Area 51 is the best... Got it for £1.50 (around 2.50 dollars and 1.90 euros) :D

Mike4Real

Post by Mike4Real »

daps2 wrote: Hi, (i edited that wikipedia article :D )
DNAS was shut down FOR PS2 on 4th April but remains up as it is used by other sony products (i kinda got that confirmed by Sony). SwbfII was able to pass through after this date as a person found a workaround to forward the ps2 to DNAS by manually editing the address into the server and forwarded this info onto Kalle and other server hosts. Therefore DNAS remains active till Sony no longer needs it for other products or realises that a workaround has been found and block it. This could be as close as a few minutes or as far as way as 10 years from heppening. We just have no idea when the inevitable will occur.

The DNAS server uses a certificate only SONY has and we would be unable to retrieve it as for obvious reasons it is encrypted. For now you wont need to do anything as long as you put the following into your server,

Hostname-------------------------->Host IP Address
gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org-->203.105.78.163
gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org-->203.105.78.162
gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org-->203.105.78.164

When it does shutdown for good you either need to start monitoring DNAS now and hope to find a loop hole to set up your own server (very unlikely and not to mention highly illegal!!) or you patch your game to get rid of DNAS.(only required once the server is fully shutdown)

Hope this helps and you are able to keep that epic game alive :D
Thank you for the additional information. So let me see if I've got this right, on April 4th the Sony DNAS server stopped responding to requests from Playstation 2s or some aspect of it was disabled. However, since GameMaster had their DNS server setup in such a way to send USA DNAS requests to 203.105.78.163 the Sony address still responds to and authenticates these requests because it is from a DNS server and not from a PS2?

I think we have many wireshark captures of DNAS but I don't think anyone was planning on setting up their own authentication. I do know of a person who was able to patch DNAS out of Battlefront 1, and he thinks the same could be done for Battlefront 2. If it ever comes to it we will probably do this.

Mike4Real

Post by Mike4Real »

JamesCableCar wrote:just a quick mention, Christians DNS has changed once again, it is now 186.34.189.167

Use this for Area 51, COD 3 etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Thank you so much for this post. Somehow Christians DNS is able to retrieve the master server list from SWBFgamers. I don't understand how that could possibly happen but this makes SWBF2 functional for the moment.

Drunken_Master
Level 1: Deer Hunter

Post by Drunken_Master »

Hello y'all. To clarify, the DNAS server is a combination that is unique to Sony that combines Domain Name System (DNS) with Authentication. The authentication servers are still up (who knows how long) while the DNS is no longer supported. All the DNS server does is point a name to an IP address. Official DNS names are owned by Sony, but alternate DNS name servers are easy for anyone to set up. Authentication servers are not. If someone has access to software that can read the authentication process (aka big data deep packet inspection stuff) it would be good to do now while it is still up. Hopefully someone has and is keeping quiet until the authentication servers are down.

I'm new to this site so I have a bit of catching up to do; I'm impressed with what's been going on.