PS2 Repair thread

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

PS2 Repair thread

Post by Mytho »

I'm here to ask for some help in trying to repair my friend's PS2. He found it in the garbage a few months ago when he was cleaning up after his roommates. He was about to throw it out again before I told him that I had expertise in repairing Playstation 2 consoles.

We cleaned the laser with rubbing alcohol and were able to get the console to recognize discs. Games, however, had difficult booting, as did DVDs. We also tried tweaking the POT gear during our repair session. After some time, we were able to find the sweet spot and allow the console to boot Playstation 1 games. PS2 games, however, only got to the initial splash screen before kicking us back to the browser. After tweaking the POT for two hours, we gave up and called it quits for the day. I considered the fact that Playstation 1 games worked a minor success.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try fixing the PS2? As I said above, we cleaned the laser and rotated the POT. The only other option I can think of is placing the console on its side or upside down. Purchasing another laser assembly is not out of the question, provided the price is right. We don't want to sink much money in the console, as Playstation 2 consoles are ubiquitous and cheap at Goodwill ($30, for those curious).
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Re: PS2 Repair thread

Post by IRON_PIMP »

Hi Mytho,
Your Laser's focusing coils are failing, replacing the laser is the only option if you want to salvage the unit.
Getting one for 30 can be risky too, you don't know how long it wil last, which will put you right back here
You can find the laser on ebay pretty cheap now I think. It is not hard to install.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

My old fat ps2's laser started dying awhile ago and nothing I tried (cleaning laser, adjusting gear) worked to help it all. Think once it starts dying like that its simply a matter of time before the laser fails completely.

If a new laser cost 30 bucks to replace it seems not really worth it if you can buy a used ps2 for 30 or 40 bucks. But then if you are buying a used ps2 for that much you might as well spend 100 on a new slim ps2 since you know that will last a long time.

altecgodofchaos
Level 7: PacifistZone
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by altecgodofchaos »

problem is its a pain in the ass to install laser, and plus you would have to calibrate it when you install it, unlike the ps3 you can just drop a ps3 laser into its blu ray player and viola! no calibration required. you can either waste $50 on a new laser, which the system is worth, or you can go buy another ps2 for under $100 and use it.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

IRON_PIMP wrote:Hi Mytho,
Your Laser's focusing coils are failing, replacing the laser is the only option if you want to salvage the unit.
Getting one for 30 can be risky too, you don't know how long it wil last, which will put you right back here
You can find the laser on ebay pretty cheap now I think. It is not hard to install.
I figured that was the case. It seemed like no matter what we tried, the console would not cooperate with us. Even PS1 games would not work every time. I'll need to check how much the lasers are on eBay and let him know.
lazyhoboguy wrote:If a new laser cost 30 bucks to replace it seems not really worth it if you can buy a used ps2 for 30 or 40 bucks. But then if you are buying a used ps2 for that much you might as well spend 100 on a new slim ps2 since you know that will last a long time.
I don't think he is going to be too interested in spending $100 for a new PS2. He wasn't even considering getting one until he found the console in the trash. $30-40 is probably going to be his personal limit. Next time I am at Goodwill, I'll check and see if the PS2s there are later models. They're all fat units, but I know 50000 series consoles are sturdier than the 30000 series.
altecgodofchaos wrote:problem is its a pain in the ass to install laser, and plus you would have to calibrate it when you install it... you can either waste $50 on a new laser, which the system is worth, or you can go buy another ps2 for under $100 and use it.
Ah, didn't know you had to calibrate a new laser. How exactly do you calibrate a PS2 disc laser? I would need to factor the time needed to perform that into the overall cost.

However, $50 for a new laser is out of the question if we can just purchase another console for $30.
(gmt-5)

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Post by IRON_PIMP »

I see my post is misunderstood, sorry about that guys.
A new LAser costs 54.99 to 85.99 depending on which version and where you get it.
A used laser can be anywhere from 10-50 on ebay, but you don't know the condition
Not sure what method you are using to install a PS2 laser , but it is NOT difficult at all. I have done probably 10 of them, Fat PS2 and slim.
I have also replaced the ICP's on the Mobo on these units
Calibration of the unit is not difficult if you have the right tools AND this is for FAT ps2's ONLY, A's and B's Laser assembly (don't know which you have), however if you don't, you can mess it up. It is easier to replace it, a NEW laser DOES not require a cal and unless you know what you are doing It is not advised to adjust it--of course, if it's junk anyway, like Mytho's friend, and you want to mess with it, you may get a few more months from it, by turning the two potentiometers underside the laser very little at a time, one is to focus the DVDs, the other focuses the CD's.
A little more in depth for this post, but now you know.

altecgodofchaos

exactly my point, why risk trying to put the laser in and calibrating it. the system is only worth like $30 at the most, and like you said the laser could be as expensive as $85.00. if i were you guys buy a slim ps2, as they are dependable systems. i wouldn't want to fuck with the laser, i don't think its worth it. on the other hand i can get a dirt cheap ps3 with a broken laser for under $120, and the laser for it only costs $50. dude if i were you try and get a ps3. it would be more worth it. and plus with ps3 lasers you don't have to calibrate it in any way
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

altecgodofchaos

here i tell you what, i have a slim playstation 2 scph-79001 sitting with me right now, all it needs is a new motherboard which i am buying and putting into it. ill sell you the system for $50. this system would be better than trying to fuck with the laser on the broken ps2.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

IRON_PIMP wrote:I see my post is misunderstood, sorry about that guys.
A new LAser costs 54.99 to 85.99 depending on which version and where you get it.
A used laser can be anywhere from 10-50 on ebay, but you don't know the condition
Not sure what method you are using to install a PS2 laser , but it is NOT difficult at all. I have done probably 10 of them, Fat PS2 and slim.
I have also replaced the ICP's on the Mobo on these units
Calibration of the unit is not difficult if you have the right tools AND this is for FAT ps2's ONLY, A's and B's Laser assembly (don't know which you have), however if you don't, you can mess it up. It is easier to replace it, a NEW laser DOES not require a cal and unless you know what you are doing It is not advised to adjust it--of course, if it's junk anyway, like Mytho's friend, and you want to mess with it, you may get a few more months from it, by turning the two potentiometers underside the laser very little at a time, one is to focus the DVDs, the other focuses the CD's.
A little more in depth for this post, but now you know.
Thanks for the information, IRON_PIMP. I didn't realize new lasers were still that expensive. I don't think going with a used laser would be a wise idea however, as those are a gamble. I think I'll look into tweaking the two potentiometers to buy him some time and figure out what he wants to do.
altecgodofchaos wrote:exactly my point, why risk trying to put the laser in and calibrating it. the system is only worth like $30 at the most... if i were you guys buy a slim ps2, as they are dependable systems. i wouldn't want to fuck with the laser, i don't think its worth it. on the other hand i can get a dirt cheap ps3 with a broken laser for under $120, and the laser for it only costs $50. dude if i were you try and get a ps3. it would be more worth it. and plus with ps3 lasers you don't have to calibrate it in any way
Yeah, good point. If the PS2s at Goodwill are 50000 series systems, I'll just tell him to put the broken one up on eBay and get one there.

Also, a PS3 is out of the question for my friend. He doesn't want one, nor does he have the money at the moment.
altecgodofchaos wrote:here i tell you what, i have a slim playstation 2 scph-79001 sitting with me right now, all it needs is a new motherboard which i am buying and putting into it. ill sell you the system for $50. this system would be better than trying to fuck with the laser on the broken ps2.
I'll pass this along to him as well. Let me know when you would have the system fixed and ready to go.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

You probably don't need these now, but thought I'd post some guides on dealing with Disc Read Error's for other people. I don't know how good these guides are, but they tell you how to clean the laser and how to adjust the gear thing inside the ps2.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/sh ... d=23572005

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/guides/20 ... -guide.ars

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/390/390535p1.html