PS2 Repair thread

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
altecgodofchaos
Level 7: PacifistZone
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Re: PS2 Repair thread

Post by altecgodofchaos »

ill have the system up and running within a month. now when i sell it to you it the sum total for the system will probably be around $65-$70, depending on how much the shipping is.

Mytho wrote:
IRON_PIMP wrote:I see my post is misunderstood, sorry about that guys.
A new LAser costs 54.99 to 85.99 depending on which version and where you get it.
A used laser can be anywhere from 10-50 on ebay, but you don't know the condition
Not sure what method you are using to install a PS2 laser , but it is NOT difficult at all. I have done probably 10 of them, Fat PS2 and slim.
I have also replaced the ICP's on the Mobo on these units
Calibration of the unit is not difficult if you have the right tools AND this is for FAT ps2's ONLY, A's and B's Laser assembly (don't know which you have), however if you don't, you can mess it up. It is easier to replace it, a NEW laser DOES not require a cal and unless you know what you are doing It is not advised to adjust it--of course, if it's junk anyway, like Mytho's friend, and you want to mess with it, you may get a few more months from it, by turning the two potentiometers underside the laser very little at a time, one is to focus the DVDs, the other focuses the CD's.
A little more in depth for this post, but now you know.
Thanks for the information, IRON_PIMP. I didn't realize new lasers were still that expensive. I don't think going with a used laser would be a wise idea however, as those are a gamble. I think I'll look into tweaking the two potentiometers to buy him some time and figure out what he wants to do.
altecgodofchaos wrote:exactly my point, why risk trying to put the laser in and calibrating it. the system is only worth like $30 at the most... if i were you guys buy a slim ps2, as they are dependable systems. i wouldn't want to fuck with the laser, i don't think its worth it. on the other hand i can get a dirt cheap ps3 with a broken laser for under $120, and the laser for it only costs $50. dude if i were you try and get a ps3. it would be more worth it. and plus with ps3 lasers you don't have to calibrate it in any way
Yeah, good point. If the PS2s at Goodwill are 50000 series systems, I'll just tell him to put the broken one up on eBay and get one there.

Also, a PS3 is out of the question for my friend. He doesn't want one, nor does he have the money at the moment.
altecgodofchaos wrote:here i tell you what, i have a slim playstation 2 scph-79001 sitting with me right now, all it needs is a new motherboard which i am buying and putting into it. ill sell you the system for $50. this system would be better than trying to fuck with the laser on the broken ps2.
I'll pass this along to him as well. Let me know when you would have the system fixed and ready to go.
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

The Don
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Post by The Don »

I'll chime in. I was at a Gamestop yesterday and they had a STACK of PS2s for $40 each. Anybody can swing that! Also, I can't recommend the slim PS2 over the fatties because you can't put a hard drive in a slim. Playing off the hard drive will save wear and tear on your laser, and many games will load faster. In theory (I've never tried this), if you were to play off the hard drive exclusively you may be able to still play a broken ps2 with a busted disc drive.
(gmt-5)

altecgodofchaos

thats only if you mod the ps2, i wouldn't recommend modding the system unless you have experience in that field. anyways back on topic as i said go for the slim ps2's as the processors are maxed out to 299mhz, and plus it has everything built in, dvd sensor etc. ill have the system shipped to you as soon as i get the motherboard. don't listen to "the don", as he doesn't have as much experience with fixing ps2's, as i do.The don, i assume you modded the your ps2 to rip games to your HDD?
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

IRON_PIMP
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: IRON_PIMP

Post by IRON_PIMP »

thats only if you mod the ps2, i wouldn't recommend modding the system unless you have experience in that field. anyways back on topic as i said go for the slim ps2's as the processors are maxed out to
What form of modding are you referring too?
A hardware mod requires soldering experience, so in that sense, you are correct.
But, a softmod requires NO experience, jus an ability to follow simple directions.
And yes the slim CAN accept an HDD...via USB. It does need to be Modded and depending on the version of the slim PS2, it too can accept the softmod.
@the don, you can PLAY from the HDD with a dying/dead laser.
If it is hardmodded. Sotmod requires a working/dying laser
Also, some versions of the fat PS2's will NOT play some games while softmodded.
Just some more info for you, while the thread moved a little off topic

The Don

Post by The Don »

altecgodofchaos wrote:thats only if you mod the ps2, i wouldn't recommend modding the system unless you have experience in that field. anyways back on topic as i said go for the slim ps2's as the processors are maxed out to 299mhz, and plus it has everything built in, dvd sensor etc. ill have the system shipped to you as soon as i get the motherboard. don't listen to "the don", as he doesn't have as much experience with fixing ps2's, as i do.The don, i assume you modded the your ps2 to rip games to your HDD?
I'm sure I don't have as much experience fixing PS2s as you do, but it's fairly obvious that $40 is less than $65. Also, the fatties have the option to add a hard drive. IMHO, that's better, but everyone is welcome to his opinion.

No, I didn't mod any of my PS2s. I use a program called HD Loader to play games off the hard drive. There are a few similar programs that do that. HD Advance and a new one that is being worked on called Open PS2 Loader come to mind.
(gmt-5)

The Don

Post by The Don »

IRON_PIMP wrote:And yes the slim CAN accept an HDD...via USB. It does need to be Modded and depending on the version of the slim PS2, it too can accept the softmod.
Ah, yes! You can hook a USB drive up to a slim and play games off the HD that way. The compatibility isn't as good, but looking at the current compatibility list it's MUCH better than I remember it. Playing over USB loads slower, though. It's a good compromise if you have a slim PS2.
IRON_PIMP wrote:@the don, you can PLAY from the HDD with a dying/dead laser.
If it is hardmodded. Sotmod requires a working/dying laser
I think you COULD use a dead laser unit if you use free mcboot and HD Loader. You'd have to load the games onto the hard drive using winhiip or hdl dump or something else; you couldn't load them directly. Like I said, maybe you could, but you wouldn't want to.
(gmt-5)

altecgodofchaos

come on guys, why the hell are you trying to get him to buy obsolete thick ps2, when I'm already selling him my slim ps2? who gives a shit about HDD, the hdd itself costs like $20.00-$50.00. the only reason i would buy an HDD for my thick ps2 is for the final fantasy game online. it sounds like he already decided to buy my ps2 anyways so....
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

altecgodofchaos

IRON_PIMP wrote:
my point, why take the chance, lets stop talking about thick ps2. its a done deal and I'm selling him my slim ps2, i was probably wrong about the shipping, considering the system is so small it might be cheaper to ship
(gmt-7)

Live in your world.
play in ours.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

http://www.amazon.com/LASER-LENS-400C-S ... 730&sr=8-3 25 dollar ps2 fat laser. Slim lasers on amazon are 7 dollars. Also I can send anyone a modded ps2 memory card for free. You just have to pay for the card and shipping. But of a fat if you get the network adapter just stick a hard drive on it and it would play games better and faster than a disk drive.

The Don

Post by The Don »

altecgodofchaos wrote:come on guys, why the hell are you trying to get him to buy obsolete thick ps2, when I'm already selling him my slim ps2? who gives a shit about HDD, the hdd itself costs like $20.00-$50.00. the only reason i would buy an HDD for my thick ps2 is for the final fantasy game online. it sounds like he already decided to buy my ps2 anyways so....
The guy asked for advice so we're giving advice. To be fair, though, he originally did ask about PS2 repair, not buying a PS2. In his original post he mentioned that he can get PS2s locally at Goodwill for $30! That sounds like a sweet deal, if you ask me.
(gmt-5)