PS2 Modding Thread

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

PS2 Modding Thread

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Use this thread to talk about PS2 modding.

Make sure you do not mention pirating games or imply that you are pirating games.

It is part of our site rules to not talk about pirating on this site.

Viscosity
site admin

Re: PS2 Modding Thread

Post by Viscosity »

I will start this off with an offer that I can offer a modded ps2 memory card for free. You just have to pay for the memory card and shipping.

FAQ
What is a modded memory card?

A. It is a memory card with an exploit (freemcboot) loaded on it that enables you to play backed up games off of an HDD,USB,Network, Backup Disc. without the need for a modchip.

Do i need a modchip?

A. No this is a software mod.

If I get enough interest I will buy a memory card lot so you would just have to pay for shipping.

Also if you have any question just post here and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Ironpimp also has a modded card. Any question that aren't repeated will be added to this FAQ for further documentation.

REMEMBER NO TALKING ABOUT OR DOING PIRATING.

The Don
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Post by The Don »

I have to agree. The only reason they make these games is because they can make a living doing it, so if we want to get good games and consoles from the industry we have to support it by buying the games we play.

I haven't modded any of my consoles personally. I don't have any business inside the case. I can't solder to save my life and Sony doesn't like to mess with PS2s if the seal has been broken. I haven't found the need to, though, to be honest. Using either the old independence exploit or free mcboot on the memory card enables you to run all sorts of "home brew" software on your PS2, from HD Loader to mp3 players, image viewers, you name it.
(gmt-5)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

That is exactly what i my FAQ is about. SOFTMODDING so you don't solder anything.

Scoopers
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

BOY could I post HERE!! :D :D :D

MODDING HAHAHA, boy could I ever.... But I wont due to the cheating and exploits available. It usually leads to ruining game play. Look at the PS3 right now. ALL hacked up and cant play a game its just Bull.

McFreeboot? Easy to install and even easier to use. LOTS of fun programs available to use with it. 8-)
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Freemcboot is good stuff. Once someone has it all it takes is that guy to install it to another memory card and give it to the other person for it to work. No opening up your ps2 or anything else. Yes cheating and pirating will be a problem but this would enable you to not play games from the disc drive which will save old PS2's mainly because their disk drives are very weak. But eventually the slim will die too. They will dies a lot fast then lets say the NES becuase of the moving parts in the disk drive. It is a sad reality we will all have to face but when you have freemcnoot i enables you to load games off of your PC's hard drive over a netowrk, USB hardive, or on FAT models you can add an IDE drive of up to a TB of data to it.

Scoopers
Xlink Kai username: scoopers

Post by Scoopers »

I have a USB 120GB HD setup for my slim and a 80GB setup in the fat PS2, load time is great, but still use the disk for some reason. Yes the drives are always the thing to go.

Emulators is another good source for those who own the original systems/games. I've got a massive NES/SNES/SEGA collection that I finally packed away when I got my PS3. I started to miss those games so I installed emulators on PC with the games I own, then went ahead and made a mem card up just to play emulators on so that makes it cool and less space to take up.
No Shots Impossible, Its the shots missed that could be regretted.

(gmt-5)

The Don

Post by The Don »

Favrenation wrote:That is exactly what i my FAQ is about. SOFTMODDING so you don't solder anything.
Right, this is what I'm trying to get at; you don't need to open your console up to get the most out of it. I don't even consider exploiting the mem card a mod, more like installing a program.
(gmt-5)

The Don

Post by The Don »

Scoopers wrote:I have a USB 120GB HD setup for my slim and a 80GB setup in the fat PS2, load time is great, but still use the disk for some reason. Yes the drives are always the thing to go.

Emulators is another good source for those who own the original systems/games. I've got a massive NES/SNES/SEGA collection that I finally packed away when I got my PS3. I started to miss those games so I installed emulators on PC with the games I own, then went ahead and made a mem card up just to play emulators on so that makes it cool and less space to take up.
Can you recommend a good NES emulator for the PS2? I had an OK one once, but the sounds doesn't work. It's not worth it to drag out and hook up the NES just for a game of SMB.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

The Don wrote:[ It's not worth it to drag out and hook up the NES just for a game of SMB.
Heh, imo it is. And I do.

I can see why people would rather just mod the ps2 and play emulaters on it, but for me I'd only want to use my ps2 for its games and my other consoles for their own games.