What was the last ps2 game you bought?

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: What was the last ps2 game you bought?

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I had a copy of psi ops years ago and played an hour or so of it. Since the game was bought at gamestop the disc of course had to freeze every time at a certain point. I sold the game back and rebought it later, but I haven't got around to continuing to play it.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

Psi-Ops is supposed to be a pretty good game. I had a lot of fun playing the demo on the Xbox back in 2004 (was it really that long ago? :o). I noticed that it has a lot of little tricks you can pull off, like surfing on objects or levitating objects in front of you as cover.

I'm pretty interested in seeing if the rest of the game holds up. The only thing I'm worried about is the game's framerate. I can foresee this game being strenuous on the PS2's hardware, especially in busy areas. Even the Xbox version had some minor hiccups.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

GunsNBROses
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: GunsNBROses

Post by GunsNBROses »

I had Psi-Ops a while ago. Fun game, as I recall. Fun mechanics and some challenging bosses. Pretty creative ways of getting past certain obstacles. I cant recall much about the frame rate, as it was a while ago, but I did not notice anything that bad about it. Graphics...well, it was a while ago :).

Last game I got was Shadow of the Colossus.
(gmt-6)

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

It's been about two weeks, so I thought I'd post a update on some of my thrift store finds.

I was at home last weekend and was bored out of my mind. Typical lazy Saturday afternoon with nothing to do. I decided to take the perilous, mile long journey to Goodwill to see what latest gems they had.

When I arrived, I took my usual stroll around the DVD cabinet, which had a big 'DVDs 99 CENTS' sign plastered on the front. I began scouring the cabinet for games, hoping to pass them off as DVDs. I found a few PS2 games, noticeably Madden 2002 and Silent Scope. As Madden games drive me to drink, I decided to get Silent Scope.

I decided to pop Silent Scope in my PS2 later that night out of sheer boredom. What I found was a decent port marred by a lack of support for any type of gun peripheral. Konami saw fit to give you the ability to turn the scope off to quickly scan the area, speed up or slow down the scope and change the size at will to compensate. After about 30 minutes, I gave up trying to play since no matter what I did, nothing felt really comfortable. It didn't help that the controller I was using was some old third-party clunker my cousin left behind (probably as an excuse to get an actual Sony controller!). Oh well, at least I dig the box art, and that tiny ESRB logo present on a lot of the PS2 launch games. Silent Scope on PS2 isn't bad per se; it's just a pain in the ass to play with a controller.

The next find came after I traveled back to school over the weekend. During my weekly Goodwill ritual, I noticed that the PS2 section had been restocked. There was an unassuming copy of Lego: Star Wars sitting on the shelf, with a lower price than the rest. My suspicions were raised over this lower price. Before I left, I asked the clerk if I could peel the tape and check the disc. To my surprise, the game was in pretty nice shape. Unable to pass up a deal, I snagged it with my student discount.

I'm curious to see if the full Lego: Star Wars game is any different from the demo I played years ago. I remember being disappointed with the heavy collection aspects.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I used to own silent scope on ps2 as well, but not having any light gun support makes that game awful on ps2.

I haven't ever played a lego star wars game yet. They look like they could be fun.

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

Mytho wrote:I purchased Midway Arcade Treasures 1 from Goodwill tonight. This is the first PS2 game I have purchased since Black Friday back in November. I paid a little more than I would have liked ($7), but the game with shipping is usually around $10. This copy also has the original cover instead of the style that the other 2 installments of Midway Arcade Treasures adopted, which was retroactively added to new copies of Arcade Treasures 1 after 2 came out.

I am planning to go back and pick Black up during the 25% off sale this week.
Dude! I got that game at my goodwill for $2! Before that I got Madden 10 BRAND NEW for $10!

Mytho

Post by Mytho »

Awesom3B wrote:Dude! I got that game at my goodwill for $2! Before that I got Madden 10 BRAND NEW for $10!
Oh man, that's a awesome deal for Arcade Treasures 1! Robotron 2084 alone is worth that much.

Do you go to Goodwill on a regular basis?
(gmt-5)

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Post by Awesom3B »

Yeah. Most of my games are from goodwill.

lazyhoboguy
site admin

Post by lazyhoboguy »

My big haul of 16 games from that estarland.com a couple weeks back is here. I got a bunch of new ps2 online games with it as well as some single player ones.

Jak II
Ratchet & Clank
Midnight Club 2
Syphon Filter Omega Strain
Beyond Good and Evil
Lord of the Rings Return of the King
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Ratchet & Clank Going Commando
Ratchet & Clank Deadlocked
Fight Club
Under The Skin

Heely
Level 4: Rumble Group

Post by Heely »

Sniper Elite
Sprint Cars Showdown at Eldora