Connecting to internet via laptop's wifi

Go here to ask for help about how to play your Playstation 2 online and through LAN tunneling programs like Xlink Kai. If you have any other questions about how to get your PS2 online ask them here.
Barbarian_Roman
Level 2: My Street Resident
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Connecting to internet via laptop's wifi

Post by Barbarian_Roman »

Hello everyone, I want to be able to play some PS2 games with online multiplayer, but I don't have a direct internet connection. I have an old fat ps2 with a network adapter (bought in 2003), but my router is on the other side of my house. So the only way for me to get internet is through wifi, and as my ps2 doesn't have wifi, I heard I can bridge connections to my laptop that has wifi (running windows 7). But what cable would I need to connect it? I have a Cat 5e cable. Will it work? I heard you would need a crossover cable for something like this, but I heard they're obsolete because newer technology can distinguish what connections it is. Is a plain generic cat 5e cable alright?

chak88
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Re: Connecting to internet via laptop's wifi

Post by chak88 »

I think it would be easiest to just buy a wireless access point that way you simply plugin the Ethernet to the wireless access point and then the ps2 will be able to connect to your home network and you're good to go !

Barbarian_Roman

Maybe later on I will buy one, but please let me know what kind of cable I need at the moment.

chak88
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

Post by chak88 »

I think any ethernet cable will do for now

teamR@@K!E

Post by teamR@@K!E »

the kind of cable you need right now is a thousand foot Ethernet cable to go all the way through your house :lol:

just move the ps2 over to your router and a small tv to see if you can even make it work

i would hate for you to go through everything that you're trying to do wireless and find out you can't even do it right with a normal Ethernet cable :|

Barbarian_Roman

But in theory, is a regular cat 5e fine or do I need a crossover? Please someone answer this question!
EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. In case anyone needs to know the answer to this question, YES, a regular CAT 5E cable should work fine!

JimMeister
Level 7: PacifistZone

Post by JimMeister »

I had to do same thing mate. Easy to do once I had found out how to bridge connections

stevenklipt_U
Xlink Kai username: dj3q0t32tegb

Post by stevenklipt_U »

Do any ports need to be open? Port forwarding?